FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2014, 14:52   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 13,988 Times in 5,337 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British terror suspects can be stripped of their citizenship

Haha, I don't think so Des.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Yalides (30th January 2014)
Old 30th January 2014, 15:10   #12 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, I hate that phrase Steve.
It's used to defend terrorist actions, as if oppression or political wrongdoing is a justified reason to kill innocent people. In my opinion a terrorist is simply a person who kills indiscriminately for a cause. I couldn't care how ostracised a person or group feel, there's no excuse for killing kids. Blair, Bush, and a whole bunch of other leaders might fall into that category, still, they're not freedom fighters. The only justified 'fight for freedom' is one where you are physically defending yourself from people who are trying to do you harm.

I have read of immigrants with leave to remain convicted of crimes, who get to stay in the UK because of the right to family life - I don't agree with this.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (30th January 2014), Jaycey (30th January 2014), Mavisteve (31st January 2014), Yalides (30th January 2014)
Old 30th January 2014, 15:53   #13 (permalink)
navarro

Thanked 1,844 Times in 795 Posts
navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future

On the surface this seems like perfectly sensible legislation, until you realize that it will be used not only to remove the status of those who are indeed 'terrorists', but also used to paint everyone who has a different point of view and stand point to the UK government as terrorists.
Just because an individual decides that his/her conscience can no longer allow them to sit by as others are slaughtered elsewhere in the World and therefore decide to involve themselves in the conflict does not automatically make them a threat to this Country or a terrorist.
I cannot understand the mind set of such people, but just because I or that fact anyone else does not agree with their conscience, or sometimes misguided beliefs it does not follow that they are a terrorist. There are Christians being butchered in the Central African Republic, so if someone decides that they wish to do more personally to protect those people and flies out to do so, does that make them a terrorist?. The fact is this is a rushed legislation to counter the threat of Muslim terrorism and due to the race Laws the obvious cannot be stated.
Leaving the Uk in order to join some Jihadist training camp is a totally different matter, those that want to go and die in Syria for their beliefs, what difference does it make?, they are not killing any allied service forces and if they become radicalised against the West then it so be it, deal with that then. After all you don't stop people becoming disc jockeys, soap stars or priests just because the likelihood is that they will become sex pests and paedophiles.
navarro is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to navarro For This Useful Post:
Akasya (30th January 2014), Jaycey (30th January 2014)
Old 30th January 2014, 15:57   #14 (permalink)

Thanked 13,988 Times in 5,337 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarro View Post
After all you don't stop people becoming disc jockeys, soap stars or priests just because the likelihood is that they will become sex pests and paedophiles.
Ouch!!!!!

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:13   #15 (permalink)

Thanked 8,172 Times in 3,105 Posts
giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute

Sensible Amendments to the main Bill.

Don't foresee any great opposition in either House.

I reckon it will be passed.

If there are some innocent sufferers in all of this, I would rather they were those who can still appeal from abroad, than those lying in a mortuary shroud, after a terrorist attack in Britain.
Bill & June (30th January 2014), Yalides (30th January 2014)
Old 30th January 2014, 17:00   #16 (permalink)
navarro

navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future navarro has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by giglets View Post
Sensible Amendments to the main Bill.

Don't foresee any great opposition in either House.

I reckon it will be passed.

If there are some innocent sufferers in all of this, I would rather they were those who can still appeal from abroad, than those lying in a mortuary shroud, after a terrorist attack in Britain.
Again Giglets, if I chose to travel to Myanmar for example to offer my protection to the Christians being murdered by the Muslims and I was then considered a terrorist threat to the Uk because of it and could not return and only offered some pathetic appeal process that would be ok, and a price worth paying?.
Am I terrorist or a possible threat because I chose to take up arms in another Country, or am I not a threat because I chose the non Muslim side?. Keeping people out of the mortuary can be achieved without sacrificing the innocent, or those that simply disagree with Government policy, especially when it is clearly based on religious grounds.
The people and the Nation have to be protected, but when you go down the path of 'At All Costs' then we become as bad as the worst of them.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:06   #17 (permalink)

Thanked 8,172 Times in 3,105 Posts
giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute giglets has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree with almost everything you said.

I am happy for these cases to be led by best intelligence available and am also happy that, with the existing safeguards in this area of Law, there will be very few cases put through.

I am also happy to see the benefit of the doubt on priority and safety, for a change, given to the vast majority of British citizens, rather than to any self-proclaimed "freedom fighter" of whatever persuasion.

Good, sensible Law.
Bill & June (30th January 2014)
Old 30th January 2014, 17:09   #18 (permalink)

Thanked 21,851 Times in 11,193 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Some strange/ varied views on " terrorists". Something which will never be agreed on. Certainly its nothing to do with their actions as " murder, slaughter" is ok/accidental/ excusable when it suits some but cold blooded terrorism when it doesnt.

Bottom line is its totally down to your own position.

To the Germans in WW2 French Resistance were terrorists

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 17:20   #19 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarro View Post
On the surface this seems like perfectly sensible legislation, until you realize that it will be used not only to remove the status of those who are indeed 'terrorists', but also used to paint everyone who has a different point of view and stand point to the UK government as terrorists.
Just because an individual decides that his/her conscience can no longer allow them to sit by as others are slaughtered elsewhere in the World and therefore decide to involve themselves in the conflict does not automatically make them a threat to this Country or a terrorist.
I cannot understand the mind set of such people, but just because I or that fact anyone else does not agree with their conscience, or sometimes misguided beliefs it does not follow that they are a terrorist. There are Christians being butchered in the Central African Republic, so if someone decides that they wish to do more personally to protect those people and flies out to do so, does that make them a terrorist?. The fact is this is a rushed legislation to counter the threat of Muslim terrorism and due to the race Laws the obvious cannot be stated.
Leaving the Uk in order to join some Jihadist training camp is a totally different matter, those that want to go and die in Syria for their beliefs, what difference does it make?, they are not killing any allied service forces and if they become radicalised against the West then it so be it, deal with that then. After all you don't stop people becoming disc jockeys, soap stars or priests just because the likelihood is that they will become sex pests and paedophiles.

The difference is, if you go as an individual with the intention of protecting innocent people, then how would that make you a terrorist? A terrorist, is by definition, someone who purposely kills or threatens to kill in order to further a political or ideological goal.

I think some people are jumping to conclusions as to what constitutes terrorism.

Self defence is not terrorism - killing an unarmed man/woman/child because they have differing beliefs, is.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (31st January 2014)
Old 30th January 2014, 17:29   #20 (permalink)
navarro

Giglets, as you have said you are happy for the cases to be led by the best intelligence available and so am I, but that is not what the Government are saying, they are not saying 'we will view all of the facts, circumstances, intelligence' etc, what they want is a blanket tarring of everyone with the same brush.

A sensitive and complicated thread indeed, but not one I think that should be governed by racial or religious profiling.

Tags
british , citizenship , stripped , suspects , terror