FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2014, 17:29   #1 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Scandalous Theresa May.

This bunch of bandits just beggars belief!!!

Was we not told NO more powers to the EU?

BBC News - European Arrest Warrant: Speaker John Bercow attacks handling of vote

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 10th November 2014, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
TCJ

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,478 Posts
TCJ has disabled reputation
Re: Scandalous Theresa May.

I can't see how this is more power to the EU. It is power to the member states to gain simpler, quicker extradition from other states. I have some doubts about whether this delivers justice and fairness to citizens and would welcome discussion of it in Parliament. We have enough problems with our ludicrous extradition treaty with the USA. However, the sleight of hand that May is attempting to avoid discussion and vote is definitely scandalous. Blimey. agreeing with Spurs and Bercow at the same time; that is a first.
TCJ is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TCJ For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th November 2014), Spurs (10th November 2014)
Old 10th November 2014, 18:06   #3 (permalink)
Spurs

Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
I can't see how this is more power to the EU. It is power to the member states to gain simpler, quicker extradition from other states. I have some doubts about whether this delivers justice and fairness to citizens and would welcome discussion of it in Parliament. We have enough problems with our ludicrous extradition treaty with the USA. However, the sleight of hand that May is attempting to avoid discussion and vote is definitely scandalous. Blimey. agreeing with Spurs and Bercow at the same time; that is a first.

Fell off my chair

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
TCJ (10th November 2014)
Old 10th November 2014, 18:15   #4 (permalink)
TCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Fell off my chair
I always thought you were off your rocker.
The Following User Says Thank You to TCJ For This Useful Post:
Spurs (10th November 2014)
Old 10th November 2014, 18:25   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,953 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

Can we look at this a little more ?

If Johnny Foreigner attacks me or mine in UK then clears off to another european country I want him back here to face the music. It's my understanding that's what an EAW is for.
There has also been a case recently where a young British girl was sexually assaulted on a cruise ship in the Med, the ship was registered in Malta which has no EAW, but is a EU member, and there is nothing ANYONE can do about it because it happened in international waters. An EAW would have helped as the ship is Maltese territory.
How do you think you would feel if was your child?
Appreciated that not all EU members have the same standards in law but that's something to be worked on, .and yes, I remember a case a couple of years ago where a football fan was deported to (I think) Greece or Bulgaria, and badly treated, having been completely set up.
(. . . and no, I'm not a fan of EU in general, but have seem first-hand the difficulties of applying for international arrest warrants when my better half worked on international fraud cases. . .)
Surely this rule means the person is handed over to face charges where the crime was done, rather than a victim in one country relying on the police in another country to do the job properly?
Akasya (10th November 2014)
Old 10th November 2014, 18:26   #6 (permalink)
Spurs

My problem is this:

We know that the UK police/law has been challenged many times & have been “caught out” but we have safety nets. Is the same safety nets there in the likes of Bulgaria, Romania etc? Will they offer the same protection(s) to our citizens that we offer theirs?

We have extradition agreements with many countries, I am sure this day & age with terrorism so prevalent, extradition across Europe should not be a problem anyway.

On reading your post Kanga, that's the crux, are they the same as us over treatment? The answer is no.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 10th November 2014 at 18:32..
Old 10th November 2014, 18:41   #7 (permalink)
TCJ

Kanga, I can see the advantages of the EAW. But it can be abused. The most notorious example recently is actually down to the UK. Remember the couple who took their child out of a UK hospital to take it abroad for what, in their view, was a superior procedure (which they eventually received). It was our prosecution authorities which applied for, and were granted, a UAW before later having to admit that the couple had not broken any law in the UK because there was no such law on our statute books. If I can't trust even UK prosecutors to deliver justice and fairness how can I possibly trust that of other European countries?

I would be happier if the EAW was first presented to a UK judge who has to decide whether there is an established case to answer. The same should apply to our extradition arrangements with the USA where, even worse than the EAW, they don't even have to specify a case; they can simple demand a British citizen be sent there to facilitate the gathering of evidence that may, or may not, discover a case to be answered. The USA, naturally, doesn't accept any such flim-flam when it comes to extraditing US citizens to the UK; we have to demonstrate that there is a substantive case.
Old 10th November 2014, 18:47   #8 (permalink)
Spurs

I just read a "comment" on the BBC, someone said there is another underlying problem. The US would/could find it far more easier to extradite from the EU as opposed to the UK, that's a worry. In other words, we extradite to say Italy & they pass the person on to the US.

Beyond that its more that May has tried (yet again) to do a back door number on the people, did she teach Osborne or did he teach her?

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 10th November 2014 at 18:53..
Old 10th November 2014, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 27,121 Times in 12,016 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
I just read a "comment" on the BBC, someone said there is another underlying problem. The US would/could find it far more easier to extradite from the EU as opposed to the UK, that's a worry. In other words, we extradite to say Italy & they pass the person on to the US.

Beyond that its more that May has tried (yet again) to do a back door number on the people, did she teach Osborne or did he teach her?
An undertaking not to back door to a third party can be sought , if given it would be binding.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Bill & June (11th November 2014)
Old 10th November 2014, 21:20   #10 (permalink)
Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasya View Post
An undertaking not to back door to a third party can be sought , if given it would be binding.

Steve.
I would still be worried of these agreements being manipulated.

One MP stood up & gave a horror story as an example involving a Brit going from Spain to Romania over one of these "warrants". I am trying to find the story.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 10th November 2014 at 21:22..

Tags
scandalous , theresa