FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2015, 10:02   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 4,034 Times in 2,246 Posts
esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute esb1841 has a reputation beyond repute
2 armed people enter Turkey ruling party office in Istanbul

Two armed people enter Turkish ruling party office in Istanbul: media | Reuters

What's going on
esb1841 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to esb1841 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st April 2015), bal canavar (1st April 2015), JanetClarke (2nd April 2015), tintagel (1st April 2015)
Old 1st April 2015, 10:13   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2 armed people enter Turkey ruling party office in Istanbul

Two armed men detained after breaking into ruling AKP building in Istanbul - LOCAL

Unfortunately I think we'll see more of this type of thing in the lead up to June.
Just pray that the AKP don't win a majority, if they do I truly believe there's a chance of civil war.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (1st April 2015), Spurs (1st April 2015), tintagel (1st April 2015), tosmur (1st April 2015)
Old 1st April 2015, 11:15   #3 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosgirl View Post
Two armed men detained after breaking into ruling AKP building in Istanbul - LOCAL

Unfortunately I think we'll see more of this type of thing in the lead up to June.
Just pray that the AKP don't win a majority, if they do I truly believe there's a chance of civil war.

Charlotte
Do you really think there's a chance of a civil war Charlotte? That's a very serious thought.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 11:51   #4 (permalink)

teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if the AKP win and transform the current system to a presidential system, against the wishes of a large part of the Turkish public, there's a real threat of serious unrest.
Put it this way, I listen to RTE and his MP's and I worry about the future of Turkey. I'm sure the widespread Gezi protests which were attended by an estimated 3 million people countrywide, will be nothing compared to what would happen if Erdogan takes things much further. I worry about the recently passed security bill which grants police the right to fire at protesters and detain people for up to 48 hours without approval from a prosecutor. I think this year will see a lot of unrest.

Charlotte
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st April 2015), bal canavar (1st April 2015), Ceni (1st April 2015), esb1841 (1st April 2015), jewel (1st April 2015), kibris (1st April 2015), Lady of Leisure (1st April 2015), LauraB (1st April 2015), mike dj (1st April 2015), Spurs (1st April 2015), tintagel (1st April 2015)
Old 1st April 2015, 17:42   #5 (permalink)

Turkish PM vows to prevent all ?unauthorized street protests? - POLITICS

Charlotte
Old 1st April 2015, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,798 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Another incident this time outside a police station. The woman was carrying a bomb

Turkish police shoot two attackers outside ?stanbul police headquarter, one dead
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzyq For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st April 2015), bal canavar (1st April 2015)
Old 1st April 2015, 17:55   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,857 Posts
tosmur has disabled reputation

Is this just tactics, they have staged things before, so they can try & convince voters that they need AKP to protect them from terrorists? They have used several devious tactics.

I agree that if AKP win with a majority and they continue down the presidential path it could indeed lead to a civil war.

The strange plans Erdogan has will lead to yet more poverty and the economy might collapse if they continue down the path they are following regarding interest.

Are the West preparing in case things go wrong - for this talks with Iran regarding nuclear power & arming Egypt? hedging their bets?
tosmur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tosmur For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st April 2015), bal canavar (1st April 2015), LauraB (2nd April 2015), teosgirl (2nd April 2015)
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:13   #8 (permalink)

Tosmur,

Did you hear the about the case against the psychologist who claims RTE is mentally sick? He's being sued (of course) for his comments, but unfortunately for the state they used the professor several times for high profile court cases - so his defence is "You trust my opinion in a court of law, but don't trust it outside the courts? This is my professional opinion". I believe him. I do think Erdogan is ill. That's why I'm so afraid.

I also considered your theory about the recent terror attacks - I recall several AKP offices being targeted just before the local elections. I'm not sure this would be a wise move though, it's likely to backfire if it is a case of trying to scare voters or go for the sympathy vote because there's enough instability in Turkey at the moment (economy, war, refugees, polarised society) and the AKP voters might just decide 'no smoke without fire' and vote another way.

It is all smoke and mirrors though.
Coincidentally the late night parliamentary session (after the power cut) saw the vote for a second nuclear power plant pushed through. I can't think of a worse place for nuclear energy - a country that can't even safely mine, where several active terrorist organisations exist (including affiliated AQ and IS groups ) and that suffers earthquakes annually along with it's neighbouring countries.

The money must be really good.

Charlotte
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
Akasya (2nd April 2015), LauraB (2nd April 2015), tosmur (2nd April 2015)
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:37   #9 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,341 Times in 6,362 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

As I keep saying, we do not need another (nuclear) power station. If the government actively supports the people who wish to invest their own cash in alternative energy schemes there would be more than enough to supply the demand. I was recently told that in my inland county there are more than 96 solar energy projects waiting to be approved, some of them several MW.
IbrahimAbi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IbrahimAbi For This Useful Post:
MiddleEarth (3rd April 2015)
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:49   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,857 Posts
tosmur has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosgirl View Post
Tosmur,

Did you hear the about the case against the psychologist who claims RTE is mentally sick? He's being sued (of course) for his comments, but unfortunately for the state they used the professor several times for high profile court cases - so his defence is "You trust my opinion in a court of law, but don't trust it outside the courts? This is my professional opinion". I believe him. I do think Erdogan is ill. That's why I'm so afraid.

I also considered your theory about the recent terror attacks - I recall several AKP offices being targeted just before the local elections. I'm not sure this would be a wise move though, it's likely to backfire if it is a case of trying to scare voters or go for the sympathy vote because there's enough instability in Turkey at the moment (economy, war, refugees, polarised society) and the AKP voters might just decide 'no smoke without fire' and vote another way.

It is all smoke and mirrors though.
Coincidentally the late night parliamentary session (after the power cut) saw the vote for a second nuclear power plant pushed through. I can't think of a worse place for nuclear energy - a country that can't even safely mine, where several active terrorist organisations exist (including affiliated AQ and IS groups ) and that suffers earthquakes annually along with it's neighbouring countries.

The money must be really good.

Charlotte
In the past people in Turkey protested so strongly against nuclear power that they prevented it happening - now they have no right to protest - sad.

I agree safety in Turkey is a huge issue so many die due to unsafe working conditions in building, mining etc - hate to think how many more might die in nuclear plants. I guess the plants will be put in Eastern Turkey. As you say earthquakes are another danger as proved in Japan, they still have problems with a nuclear plant following earthquake etc.

Erdogan like many other leaders who are in power too long has gone power crazy in my opinion - crazy people with nuclear power - scary.

Wise moves & Erdogan in the same sentence? No surely not lol. Erdogan uses various tactics to attract different voters sometimes talks strong - we will not listen to EU, US he also uses Turkey needs to stamp out terrorists PKK & he attacks HDP, this includes attempts for sympathy votes in a way by claiming PKK & HDP are attacking AKP it seems like a sort of alarmist tactic making people fear the terrorist might attack them so they are led to believe they need Erdogan/AKP's protection. Other times he tries for a different type of elector we are religious nice people. In reality Turkish people are probably more likely to be attacked by ISIS. If Turkish citizens say anything against Erdogan or Turkish government then the people they need to really fear is the authorities.

Turkey seems to be like a time bomb at the moment - leaving people wondering what will blow up next.

Last edited by tosmur; 2nd April 2015 at 14:52..
tosmur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tosmur For This Useful Post:
pete-speleo (3rd April 2015), teosgirl (2nd April 2015)

Tags
armed , enter , istanbul , office , party , people , ruling , turkey