Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2015, 15:08   #21 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 29,213 Times in 12,093 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Boots on the Ground" Syria

Pot & kettle comes to mind.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
apollo too (10th September 2015), tintagel (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 15:22   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 11,694 Times in 4,660 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose arming, financing, flying as their private airforce and training the rebels would have done anything intensify the civil war, now would it?
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mollag For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (10th September 2015), water (11th September 2015), yalimart (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 15:35   #23 (permalink)
“Je suis l'humanité.”

Thanked 13,928 Times in 5,427 Posts
bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Pot & kettle comes to mind.
Still for NATO boots on the ground ,with no plan B for ASSAD ??? ala SADDAM
bal canavar is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bal canavar For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 16:29   #24 (permalink)
Spurs

Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bal canavar View Post
Still for NATO boots on the ground ,with no plan B for ASSAD ??? ala SADDAM
I just wonder what the Americans class as "the region", do they just mean Syria?
For me it matters not who America thinks/wants/expects to take over from Assad, it never worked in Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya so I cant see it happening in Syria.
I don't know who the West wants to get rid of first, Assad or IS, Cameron EVERYTIME throws Assad's name out first & foremost, perhaps he thinks that Assad is the threat in the UK. From where I am sitting I have yet to hear about anyone facing UK courts on terrorism charges with Assad's name linked to them, its always IS.
Perhaps everyone thinks, "get rid of Assad & IS will fade away".

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
apollo too (10th September 2015), keefee (16th September 2015), tintagel (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 17:32   #25 (permalink)

Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,318 Posts
esb1841 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
I just wonder what the Americans class as "the region", do they just mean Syria?
For me it matters not who America thinks/wants/expects to take over from Assad, it never worked in Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya so I cant see it happening in Syria.
I don't know who the West wants to get rid of first, Assad or IS, Cameron EVERYTIME throws Assad's name out first & foremost, perhaps he thinks that Assad is the threat in the UK. From where I am sitting I have yet to hear about anyone facing UK courts on terrorism charges with Assad's name linked to them, its always IS.
Perhaps everyone thinks, "get rid of Assad & IS will fade away".
With the Russians on the ground there will be no chance of mission creep by Nato forces like Libya
As there is a lack of trust by all parties solution would be
Russian/Syrian Troops in Government controlled areas pushing ISIS out
Nato Forces in Non Government controlled areas pushing ISIS towards Russian/Syrian Troops
USA keeping an eye on Turkish forces to ensure they don't try and go after the Kurds as a separate mission
esb1841 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to esb1841 For This Useful Post:
apollo too (10th September 2015), keefee (16th September 2015), Spurs (10th September 2015), tintagel (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 18:41   #26 (permalink)
Spurs

I was in Turkey prior to Desert Storm or Desert something, not living there but we used to do a straight month every year.

Via a friend of mine I met a refugee from Iraq called Metin,nice fella in his late 20s early 30s, he was a school teacher in Iraq. Like many of these people we see now, his wife & child still lived in Iraq.

He worked on the QT (illegally) in a shoe shop in Didim, my friend & others used to throw him a few TL.. He said to me one day, "when are the West going to get rid of Saddam"? That was the talk those days in the UK, war was imminent. My response was "soon". About a week after we left Turkey it kicked off in Iraq, the rest is history.

About a year later & Saddam defeated we were back in Turkey, I went to see my friend in Didim Shopping Centre & was a bit surprised to see Metin still in the shoe shop. I walked over to see him, shake of the hand, kiss, kiss & the very first words out of his mouth was, "when are you people going to get out of my country"? What could I say? I wanted to say, "you ungrateful nob" but just gave him the usual "soon". My Turkish friend did say to him, why do you say that to my friend? I never heard or bothered to wait for the reply.

Must have been about three years later & my friend in Turkey phoned me on Christmas Day (does it every year). We get talking & out of the blue he said, "I was in Istanbul a couple of weeks back & guess who I saw"? No idea. "Metin". I said is he OK,, has is wife & child moved to Turkey, why hasn't he gone back to Iraq? Turns out Metin had then got some form of status in Turkey that allowed him to stay but he was not allowed to be a teacher, wife & child, what wife & child???????? Turkey was his new life, his wife & child were his past.

My friend is a Kurd AND has high standards & morals, he was not impressed.

I am NOT for one minute saying that these refugees are like that but............it happens.

One thing about caring or showing sympathy, it only needs to be thrown back in your face once & for many of us once is once too often. I don't wish anything untoward for Metin or the like, after all that attitude is not restricted to the ME.

But I have to say this, what an ungrateful piece of cr*p he turned out to be.

Pretty sure its only a matter of time before its firmly throw into Germanys face, then the Germans may just think what I thought all those years back.

I heard today on the news that chemical weapons are still in use in Syria but they are not sure if they are being used by Assad or IS or even both, I think we are moving more & more close to a ramping up on action in Syria, how will all these Syrians now scattered across Europe feel about that I wonder?

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
keefee (16th September 2015), tintagel (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 19:01   #27 (permalink)
“Je suis l'humanité.”

bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute bal canavar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1841 View Post
With the Russians on the ground there will be no chance of mission creep by Nato forces like Libya
As there is a lack of trust by all parties solution would be
Russian/Syrian Troops in Government controlled areas pushing ISIS out
Nato Forces in Non Government controlled areas pushing ISIS towards Russian/Syrian Troops
USA keeping an eye on Turkish forces to ensure they don't try and go after the Kurds as a separate mission
What form and make up would these NATO forces take ,the ones pushing from non govt areas against Daesh .
Old 10th September 2015, 19:44   #28 (permalink)

Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,318 Posts
esb1841 has disabled reputation

Quote:
What form and make up would these NATO forces take ,the ones pushing from non govt areas against Daesh .
That would be down to the countries that Border Syria they can either join an
Anti-IS Coalition or if they prefer not to be directly involved allow an Anti-IS Coalition ( US Led based) to attack non govt areas from their territory

Turkey would never allow Russian troops to be present on Turkish land likewise Syria will never allow NATO to be present on Syrian Government controlled land

In addition to Russia and NATO forces there would also be a requirement for
Saudi,Iraq and Iranian forces to be involved.
esb1841 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esb1841 For This Useful Post:
Spurs (10th September 2015), tintagel (12th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 20:10   #29 (permalink)

Thanked 2,964 Times in 1,016 Posts
WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you mean with Nato boots on the ground ?

Do you think with the state of relations between the US and Putin this could happen ??

What happens when daesh is defeated . To Assad , in the afterwards ?? It was because there was no plan in place after the downfall of Saddam that this mess occured .
Said it many times before. The one area where Putin is keen to work with the US is against Islamic "extremism".Putin fears what is happening on the eastern front of the ex Soviet Union and I would suggest that Islamic extremism and Muslim expansion mean the same thing to Putin.
WIDDRINGTON is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WIDDRINGTON For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (10th September 2015), keefee (16th September 2015), Spurs (12th September 2015), tintagel (12th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015, 20:50   #30 (permalink)
“Je suis l'humanité.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1841 View Post
That would be down to the countries that Border Syria they can either join an
Anti-IS Coalition or if they prefer not to be directly involved allow an Anti-IS Coalition ( US Led based) to attack non govt areas from their territory

Turkey would never allow Russian troops to be present on Turkish land likewise Syria will never allow NATO to be present on Syrian Government controlled land

In addition to Russia and NATO forces there would also be a requirement for
Saudi,Iraq and Iranian forces to be involved.
I would like to think it would work ,but quite a few variables , Russia would have to convince Syria to allow foreign forces ( all of the above) on their soil ,because they are on record saying.

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said his country does not need foreign troops to fight Islamic State (IS) militants on its soil.Any U.S.-led anti-terror coalition.

“We will not allow anyone to infringe upon our national sovereignty and we don’t need (foreign) ground troops to fight the IS ”

And Erdogan's Turkey would never join unless the fight was to take out Assad as the emnity runs to deep both ways ,as Assad has said

Damascus will consider any Turkish military intervention in its territory as an act of aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry says a day after Turkish lawmakers authorized military operations against ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq.

Saudi (Sunni ) unlikely to give troops or fight on the non governent side alongside thier arch rival Shia Iran . Shia Iraqi govt would work with Iran but the Iraqi Sunni tribes woudn't .

Then we have the Syrian Kurds unlikely to work with the Erdogan govt forces as both have different aims .

Do you think you would like to take the chance of adding NATO troops into this Quagmire , because I can imagine public opinion in these troops home countries wouldn't be for involvment .

Tags
boots on the ground , syria