FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2016, 12:23   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 11,885 Times in 4,377 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Where are the Conservatives heading?

Being leader is more than just Brexit, just because someone voted to remain does not mean that once given the mandate they will not fiercely fight for the UKs benefit. Brexit is just one part of what needs doing.

To be honest if the EU woke up and repealed some of the contentious stuff and the UK was able to opt out of other stuff I would have no problems but...

Boris Johnson - I do not think Boris is "Leader of a Country" material, he comes across as a buffoon, an intelligent one maybe, but not someone to represent you on the world stage.

Michael Gove - is a back stabber and has shown his colours, many politicians are, but they don't show it so openly. Can't be trusted, unless off course he wants to write something with his blood.

Stephen Crabb - I know nothing that enables me to form an opinion.

Liam Fox - Well he lost out once, and has a few negatives in the closet, Adam Werrity for one, but he does have experience and is qualified for the job.

Andrea Leadsom - is an unknown to me but I am warm to her, I am not too sure if she would be out of her depth though as she lacks experience.

Theresa May - I have never really liked her, more of a gut feeling than anything, but she may be the one capable of overhauling The Human Rights Act, something that does need an overhaul. She is qualified for the job.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (1st July 2016), Hilsjw (2nd July 2016), keefee (1st July 2016), kibris (1st July 2016), mollag (1st July 2016), Yalides (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 12:32   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 12,492 Times in 4,995 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where are the Conservatives heading?

A fair summary imho.
For me, i would choose the one with the least involvement in the Brexit campaign [either side]
Otherwise it may appear to be rewarding the issuers of lies, half truths, scare stories and exaggeration, again, on both sides.
Let us not forget the onerous behavior of all sides.
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mollag For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (1st July 2016), bickern (1st July 2016), Spurs (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 13:10   #3 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,215 Times in 12,886 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Even though Teresa May was for Remain, she seems the one to bring them together if that's possible & lead this country out.
Shows how I have moved on, she was an in, I was an out..............that how its got to be if we want the UK to work, the fat Lady has sung & she's off the stage, next act is Teresa May.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st July 2016), Bill & June (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 16:18   #4 (permalink)

mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Gove admits he may be lacking charisma, but at least he makes up for it in honesty and loyalty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mollag For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (2nd July 2016), Spurs (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 16:28   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickern View Post
Being leader is more than just Brexit, just because someone voted to remain does not mean that once given the mandate they will not fiercely fight for the UKs benefit. Brexit is just one part of what needs doing.

To be honest if the EU woke up and repealed some of the contentious stuff and the UK was able to opt out of other stuff I would have no problems but...

Boris Johnson - I do not think Boris is "Leader of a Country" material, he comes across as a buffoon, an intelligent one maybe, but not someone to represent you on the world stage.

Michael Gove - is a back stabber and has shown his colours, many politicians are, but they don't show it so openly. Can't be trusted, unless off course he wants to write something with his blood.

Stephen Crabb - I know nothing that enables me to form an opinion.

Liam Fox - Well he lost out once, and has a few negatives in the closet, Adam Werrity for one, but he does have experience and is qualified for the job.

Andrea Leadsom - is an unknown to me but I am warm to her, I am not too sure if she would be out of her depth though as she lacks experience.

Theresa May - I have never really liked her, more of a gut feeling than anything, but she may be the one capable of overhauling The Human Rights Act, something that does need an overhaul. She is qualified for the job.
I thınk your rıght on all poınts --crabb certaınly wont get the pınk vote and theyre after hıs blood--perhaps hıs ıdea of a gay cure ıs aversıon therapy whıch could be used on all mp,s to stop,em lyıng and thıevıng!For me ıts gotta be eıther GOVE or ANDREA LEADSOM who may not have any experıence but could she do any worse than those who have?But ı need to fınd out more about her--whoever gets the top job should of course be a confırmed brexıter.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,165 Times in 15,938 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibris View Post
I thınk your rıght on all poınts --crabb certaınly wont get the pınk vote and theyre after hıs blood--perhaps hıs ıdea of a gay cure ıs aversıon therapy whıch could be used on all mp,s to stop,em lyıng and thıevıng!For me ıts gotta be eıther GOVE or ANDREA LEADSOM who may not have any experıence but could she do any worse than those who have?But ı need to fınd out more about her--whoever gets the top job should of course be a confırmed brexıter.
Leadsom could be another Thatcher just waiting in the wings.....
keefee (1st July 2016), kibris (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 16:38   #7 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 18,730 Times in 8,064 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Gove had his hand in the silken till when it came to expenses and mortgage flipping so not for me.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (2nd July 2016), keefee (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 16:39   #8 (permalink)

Did a bit of flipping and fiddling did he ? ah well short memory Tories wont
mind.

Shortly after being elected MP for Surrey Heath in 2005, Mr Gove furnished a house in north Kensington, west London, for which he claimed the Additional Costs Allowance.
Over a five-month period between December 2005, and April 2006, he spent more than £7,000 on the semi-detached house, which Mr Gove, 41, and his wife Sarah Vine, a journalist, bought for £430,000 in 2002. Around a third of the money was spent at Oka, an upmarket interior design company established by Lady Annabel Astor, Mr Cameron’s mother-in-law.
Mr Gove bought a £331 Chinon armchair from there, as well as a Manchu cabinet for £493 and a pair of elephant lamps for £134,50.
He also claimed for a £750 Loire table – although the Commons’ authorities only allowed him to claim £600 – a birch Camargue chair worth £432 and a birdcage coffee table for £238.50. Other claims in the five-month period included Egyptian cotton sheets from the White Company, a £454 dishwasher, a £639 range cooker, a £702 fridge freezer and a £19.99 Kenwood toaster.
Mr Gove even claimed for a £34.99 foam cot mattress in Feb 2006 from Toys 'R’ Us – despite children’s equipment being banned under Commons rules. He also charged the taxpayer for eight coffee spoons and cake forks, worth £5.95 each, four breakfast knives and a woven door mat worth £30. A claim for new patio furniture worth £219, including a four-seater bistro dining set, was turned down by Commons officials.

Some months later, Mr Gove moved house and transferred his second home allowance from the west London home to a £395,000 new property near Guildford.
In October 2006 he submitted a £13,259 bill for the cost of the move, including his local authority searches, fees and stamp duty. In between the house moves, he stayed for a night at the Pennyhill Park Hotel and Spa, charging the taxpayer more than £500 for a single night’s stay.
In 2007-08 and 2006-07 Mr Gove claimed the maximum amount of money permitted under the additional costs allowance: £23,083 and £22,110 respectively.
Mr Gove said last night that he would repay the cost of the cot mattress. The other items bought for his London home “were all, with one exception, below the acceptable threshold costs for furniture”.
“The items were bought from a mainstream retailer and when I was informed that they fell outside the range of allowable items I accepted that ruling without complaint,” he added.
The £13,259 moving costs were necessary, he said, so that he could have a home in the constituency “to effectively discharge my parliamentary duties”.
Michael Gove

Last edited by mollag; 1st July 2016 at 16:45..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mollag For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (2nd July 2016), keefee (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 17:44   #9 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

well ı suppose that just leaves andrea leadsom---we cant possıbly have gove--- a man who buys elephant lamps--- as prıme-mınıster--ıts just unthınkable!!! Anybody got dırt on leadsom or ıs she clean so far??
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kibris For This Useful Post:
keefee (1st July 2016)
Old 1st July 2016, 18:08   #10 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 18,730 Times in 8,064 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Andrea Leadsom's background ( she didn't go to Oxford, and she has had a job) gives her a large advantage when it comes to not paying tax.

Inheritance tax Edit
Following her appointment, it was discovered that she had placed her shares in a buy-to-let property company, which she had started with her husband in 2003, into trusts for the benefit of her children. This is a move that is commonly used to avoid inheritance tax. She also took advantage of offshore banking arrangements for the property company in an apparent contradiction to George Osborne’s attempts to crack down on tax avoidance.[14] A spokesperson for Leadsom said: “This is a normal corporate situation and all tax that is due is being paid. None of the loans for the properties are based offshore”.

Donations from family firm Edit
There was further criticism when it was revealed that she had received a series of donations totalling £70,000 from a firm based in London but owned by her Guernsey-based brother-in-law, Peter de Putron, via a holding company in the British Virgin Islands tax haven.[15] Leadsom’s husband Ben is a director of the firm which made the donations, which were used to pay the salaries of staff in Leadsom’s Westminster office after her election as MP; the firm has also made donations of £816,000 to the Conservative party.[16] Because the firm making the donations, Gloucester Research (later becoming GR Software and Research) was based in London the donations conformed to the rule banning political donations from abroad. The Labour MP Tom Watson said: “These very large donations might be within the rules, but it certainly isn’t right that a Treasury minister has been taking money in this way. Most reasonable people will see this as completely unreasonable”.[15]

My favourite so far.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st July 2016), Hilsjw (2nd July 2016), keefee (1st July 2016), tintagel (2nd July 2016)

Tags
conservatives , heading