Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 8th August 2016, 10:34   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,953 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Scam Alert

According to a message on my phone today I'm going to be very very rich.
I have checked on scamhunter and this is their posting as of today.

Prince Alwaleed Donation (scam alert)
Posted on August 8, 2015 by The Scam Hunter
Please share this scam warning with your friends on Facebook or Twitter.

This is an example of a “mystery scam” message that promises you have just won a fortune from an organization you’ve never heard of. Alas, it’s just another version of the good old advance fee fraud.

Subject: Congrat Reply Now
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015
Reply-To: [email protected]

YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS HAS WON PRINCE ALWALEED FINANCIAL DONATION OF $25,000,000 USD
If you make the mistake of replying to ask for more information, you’ll discover that you have to pay “taxes” or “transfer payments” or “bank fees” before the (imaginary) fortune can be delivered to you. And then if you make the bigger mistake of paying, the scammer will disappear with your money and you’ll never hear from him again.

We document messages like these here at ScamHunter.org in order to help people avoid Internet scams and frauds. Share these scam alerts with your friends today.

UPDATE: It looks like “Prince Alwaleed” really wants to give his money away. The message above came yesterday, and today this new version is making the rounds:

Subject: Great News To You.
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015
Reply-To: [email protected]

Message from Saudi Arabia Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal for his charity donation and You have been selected as recipient/benefactor for $2.5 Million Dollars from Al-Waleed Philanthropic Foundation Grant. for more information contact us.

Best Regards
Ahmad Sadiq Azizi HR
Scam messages like these are blasted to tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of random people around the world, so the chances that you’ll get multiple copies are often pretty good. It’s just another sign that the messages are fake to begin with.
Akasya (9th August 2016), IbrahimAbi (8th August 2016), Maisie (9th August 2016), shash (9th August 2016), TNT123 (8th August 2016)
Old 8th August 2016, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,095 Times in 2,834 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scam Alert

Lucky chap, mine's an Efes
Old 8th August 2016, 12:54   #3 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,285 Times in 16,020 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation

And there are idiots in this world who still fall for it....
keefee (8th August 2016), Maisie (9th August 2016)
Old 8th August 2016, 13:42   #4 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,262 Times in 4,422 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

I once got a handwritten cheque for around £1200, I was in the process of cashing in 2 private pensions and found out I could take a quarter up front as a cash lump sum . but the £1200 was a lot less than I expected from either pension fund , so I rang both up and both assured me they hadn't sent anything out yet , so I looked closely at the cheque which had a company name on it , googled the company and got a phone number (turns out it was a far east import firm, based in London)
I rang the number and asked to speak to whoever was in charge , the guy I spoke to, after me explaining that I'd got a cheque , told me it was a disgruntled ex partner who was picking random numbers from the phone book and sending out cheques , all for around the same amount
He thanked me and asked if I could take the cheque to the nearest police station, which I did but what a palaver trying to explain to them that the cheque was not for me and I didn't want to be implicated in any fraudulant transaction
Eventually we sorted it out and they told me they would forward the cheque to the police station nearest the company address ...... I heard nothing more untill about 8 weeks later when someone from said police station rang me and wanted to know what the cheque was ...after yet another explanation he understood and said he would sort it ...heard nothing since

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
Akasya (9th August 2016), IbrahimAbi (8th August 2016), Maisie (9th August 2016)
Old 8th August 2016, 15:07   #5 (permalink)
stuart

stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of

I have a friend who takes great pleasure in winding these guys up he plays along with them then ties them up in knots.
stuart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart For This Useful Post:
Maisie (9th August 2016)
Old 8th August 2016, 23:57   #6 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,042 Times in 2,334 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalides View Post
And there are idiots in this world who still fall for it....
Unfortunately, yes people do still fall for it.

To the scammers it's a numbers game which is why the same message is sent to thousands of people, and even if only 2% respond they will be in for a hefty windfall.

2% of a 1,000 people = 20 which could earn them maybe even a £1,000,00 (one million pounds)
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Maisie (9th August 2016), Yalides (9th August 2016)
Old 9th August 2016, 08:47   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 4,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is unbelievable that people fall for these. Same with the ones purporting to be from their bank wanting security details. There is currently a TV advert in the UK warning about these requests.

I am sure most people are aware of their bank's telephone number. A call there will confirm that they have not sent the message.

The only time I had what I thought was a telephone call from a scammer, turned out to be genuine and was from my credit card company telling me that someone had cloned my card and had been on a spending spree! Luckily it had been retained by a retailer and I did not have to pay the items. Although, it was a pain in the bum as they sent me a form to fill in and made a police report. Which then involved an officer coming round and asking loads of questions. Don't know what happened after that.

Another one is the junk mail promising you have won oodles of money. A read of the Terms and Conditions reveals that you have been entered into a draw with thousands of others. Only one winner chosen at random. Meanwhile, in order to "get" this cheque, you have to place an order with them. It took me and my boss a long time to convince a lady we worked with that she had not won, but merely had the potential to win. I have heard of cases where elderly people have "mortgaged" their pensions by buying stuff they could not afford, thinking they were going to get a huge cheque.

There are some nasty people about.

Maisie
Akasya (9th August 2016), Yalides (9th August 2016)
Old 9th August 2016, 09:15   #8 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 27,120 Times in 12,015 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Maisie , the thieving , cheating, lying scum need lobotomising , with a javelin.

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Maisie (11th August 2016), Yalides (9th August 2016)
Old 9th August 2016, 09:53   #9 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,095 Times in 2,834 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends of ours in Cyprus live next to an old retired military chap. Every month he sends a large chunk of his pension to some Nigerian scammers. Our friends, and many others in the community (church, military social groups etc) have told him repeatedly about the scam, he refuses to listen. His wife died earlier this year, at some points they had barely enough money to buy food, as he was sending so much of his two pensions. Castration is too good for scum like these.
Akasya (9th August 2016), Maisie (11th August 2016)
Old 9th August 2016, 13:38   #10 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,042 Times in 2,334 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

I used to like the people who put business cards through my letter box.
You know the ones that can't read the notice on the flap that says' 'NO LEAFLETS'

On two separate occasions I managed to let the one person who posted the card see me tear it up, then said to him, 'can't be any good if you didn't see that coming'

Yes it was from our local African Physic.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Maisie (11th August 2016)

Tags
alert , scam