Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 11th April 2017, 07:06   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 5,238 Times in 1,933 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute
TLF Name Change

At a time when big business is spending millions of dollars rebranding companies and products we have loved for years, I would like to offer my services free to rebrand TLF.
After carefully and methodically studying the path this once bastion of advice on all things Turkish seems to be following I think the time has come to change the name from TLF to SAAT.
Hopefully those with a sprinkling of Turkish will see the timely connection to the new name (SAAT - Turkish for hour) and those who joined this Forum - like me 10 years ago - because of it being an excellence source of information and help on all thing Turkish will see the relevance of the new name acronym.. SAAT....Sod All About Turkey.
I appreciate that many prolific posters on here see this site as simply a way of polishing increasingly tarnished egos by sharing injokes in a sort of mishmash between a school playground and a not-so-gentlemanyly type private club.
And I also realise that I will be accused of forgetting that "this is only a forum", or "it would be boring if it was all about Turkey" and other face-saving platitudes.
But the evidence sadly is that on many days, you are lucky to find one, two, or at best three, posts which have any bearing on life here in Turkey either those who live here or I suspect the biggest proportion of members who don't.
Like it or not, TLF is no longer the place that people go to as a first choice for help and advice. And many people don't even bother to join anymore, probably because any sensible questions either get ignored completely or turned into a in-house ridicule for the old-time jokers - TLF's equivalent of Digiturk's BBC Entertainment, ie entertaining 30 years ago but now constantly repeating the same old tired worn out material.
So often, including at one stage last night, there were only 3 members logged on but 100 anonymous guests - obviously cant be bothered joining or alternatively lurking under aliases conjuring up another bag of vitriol or venom to fuel the fire of sarcasm, criticism or tomfoolery.
Those highly knowledgable posters on Turkish politics or Turkish culture come in for a barrage of insults or criticism from the usual jokers.
And people asking day to day questions on normal life in Turkey, advice on how to do things here, how to move here and other subjects that used to be the backbone of TLF either get ignored, ridiculed - or more than likely have gone elsewhere to get accurate, informative and helpful answers.
The fact that the "What did you have tonight" thread has over 400,000 views and 10,000 replies maybe says it all. Not only can we find out what members have eaten, we can also see a photo of it. Maybe its because I grew up at a time when you could eat a meal without having to take a photograph of it first and send it to all you social media friends...by which time its gone cold.
Or maybe its because its another factor which has turned TLF into the dumbed-down version of the BBC where if all you want is Ready Steady Cook and Home Under The Hammer then its the place for you.
However the bottom line for anyone willing to face the truth is that TLF has lost its way. Any forum is only as good as its members and sadly vast numbers have either left or hardly bother to log on because they see no point trying to help people and then either being ridiculed, verbally abused or hit with the old tired mantra of "get a life...its only a forum."
I expect there will be some criticism of my posting. In fact I would be deeply disappointed if it failed to stir the armchair experts into a tirade of the usual flood of effluent. However I hope there are still people on here who take this post in the spirit it is meant, a time to take a long hard look at what this forum is - and more importantly WAS - about and decide what it should be in the future. Time will only tell if this is too little, too late.
villabaris1 is online now send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to villabaris1 For This Useful Post:
A89 (12th April 2017), abba (11th April 2017), bal canavar (11th April 2017), butt007 (11th April 2017), Cliffb (11th April 2017), cork laurence (11th April 2017), cside (11th April 2017), eddie_c (11th April 2017), geraldhyder (12th April 2017), Gerry (11th April 2017), Harem (11th April 2017), IbrahimAbi (13th April 2017), immac (11th April 2017), Jaycey (11th April 2017), LauraB (11th April 2017), Leo (11th April 2017), Mag (11th April 2017), mollag (11th April 2017), Philogic (11th April 2017), shash (11th April 2017), Spike (11th April 2017), ted j (11th April 2017), TNT123 (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 07:22   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,015 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLF Name Change

Oh dear !! I read most posts on here but I do agree that some people turn sensible questions/comments into silly childish slanging matches and that's when I stop reading that particular post. I do read and contribute on What did you have tonight though and have gained lots of cooking tips from it. Everyone to their own, I guess. I NEVER read anything about animals on here - I couldn't sleep at night if I did !!
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hilsjw For This Useful Post:
A89 (12th April 2017), bal canavar (11th April 2017), IbrahimAbi (13th April 2017), immac (11th April 2017), tintagel (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 07:30   #3 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 10,504 Times in 5,057 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

It seems nowadays the in thing on here is to knock Turkey

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (11th April 2017), cside (11th April 2017), IbrahimAbi (13th April 2017), Leo (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 07:41   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 24,077 Times in 12,291 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

We have been down this road many times

Bottom line is the vast majority of posters prefer to post about non Turkish subjects, the figures bear that out

Members will be drawn to subjects that interest them and avoid those that don't-I find the what do you eat for your dinner stuff a bit daft but 1000s don't

It should also be noted that posting on non Turkish subjects/items related to Turkey -are not mutually exclusive, indeed it's the posters who cover a wide variety of subjects who oft post most about Turkey as well.

I have never been involved in a row or offended by a subject I have never read as the old maxim of if you don't wanna get involved in a subject don't read it-still applies

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th April 2017), butt007 (11th April 2017), tintagel (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 07:47   #5 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 10,504 Times in 5,057 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Noted Philip
But it does seem that the people who have left Turkey (not you though) all want to call it now ,saying they are glad they got out ..fair enough but that does get monotinous, maybe that's one of the reasons members , who still live here, leave TLF

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
A89 (12th April 2017), eddie_c (11th April 2017), IbrahimAbi (13th April 2017), immac (11th April 2017), Leo (11th April 2017), pepperkat (11th April 2017), saoirse (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 07:54   #6 (permalink)

saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

I never said understand that mentality

It's a bit childish in a way-bit like when you were dumped by a girl and then say you never liked her anyway and the whole time together was terrible

Henrik er min hjelte.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
mollag (11th April 2017), ted j (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 07:58   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,268 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Villabaris1, things have changed a lot over the years, such as the scams that were prevalent and what really brought TLF to the fore.

The political situation here, rightly or wrongly means that many of the posters of old are reluctant to post if they live here. Whether that fear is justified I do not know, but I have had it expressed to me a few times.

Although the AKP do not get credit for it, a lot has changed to the good since I first came here, things such as health care, the roads, building regulations etc. Just look around where you live and compare it to 2002 prior if that is when you came here.

Yes, I do know and am aware of the other side of the coin, I do read Charlotte's and others posts and I don't have my head buried in the sand. I also tend to keep abreast of the media both here and abroad.

FB has Doc Martins where people go for advice. There are helplines set up in Turkey for foreigners to speak to someone for advice now that were not there when I came here.

What I am saying is not everyone has left TLF because of how they were treated on here, or how they perceived they were treated, life in Turkey just ceased to be the same for the oldies and the new influx into Turkey are not experiencing the problems the old school faced.

Look at other forums that were about or started years ago and you will see the decline (or disappearance in some cases) of what they used to be.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
A89 (12th April 2017), LauraB (11th April 2017), Mushtaq (11th April 2017), tintagel (11th April 2017), TNT123 (12th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 08:01   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 24,940 Times in 13,199 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

VB:
I pretty much agree with what you say but if TLF were truly a Turkey only forum then it would become a rather boring place.

For example how would we know the cost of Efes or plastic bags in Tesco? Facts such as these surely make the prospect of WW3 pale to insignificance.

But as one accustomed to existing on a diet of smoked pork fat & sundry road kill I do think the din dins thread should be deleted, I have little time for those smug culinary geeks and will make no comment whatsoever on Desí jokes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
TNT123 (12th April 2017), villabaris1 (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017, 08:03   #9 (permalink)

And Spanish bathroom shower water directionality, don't forget hat

Henrik er min hjelte.
Old 11th April 2017, 08:05   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,268 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabaris1 View Post
So often, including at one stage last night, there were only 3 members logged on but 100 anonymous guests
A lot of those guests are bots and not real living people at the keyboard. They are harvesters a lot of the time which is why it is always recommended members do not post personal contact details.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
change , tlf