Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 11th August 2017, 18:13   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,014 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
University fees UK

What do the students fees pay for?

Quote:
An MP has quit his role at the University of Bath in protest over the vice-chancellor's "eye-watering" pay.

Prof Dame Glynis Breakwell earns 451,000 a year and is the highest paid vice-chancellor in the country.

Andrew Murrison, Conservative MP for South West Wiltshire, said university bosses were "looking increasingly like a self-serving cartel".
Quote:
The report also suggests:

Average expenditure on flights was 8,560.37
50% were first or business class
21 university leaders flew exclusively in these two classes
Strathclyde University spent the most on flights, 41,891 for Prof Sir Jim McDonald
Average expenditure on hotels was 2,989.93 (based on figures from 128 institutions)
Glasgow Caledonian University spent the most on hotels, 19,864.77 for Prof Pamela Gillies
Former Oxford chief Prof Andrew Hamilton was the highest paid, with a package, including benefits and pension contributions, of 462,000

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.

Last edited by juco; 11th August 2017 at 18:16..
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th August 2017), Michael Hanley (11th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 18:45   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,517 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: University fees UK

The worst thing about this system is the roll up of interest on the fees. By the end of the first year the fees will have been charged RPI + 3%, currently a total of 6.1%. This is added to the total owed and further interest is charged on the interest outstanding plus the second year fees. By the end of the third year the amount is eye watering.
Who decided not to change this????
First the LibDems and then Corbyn, who said that he would think about it, but he didn't promise anything.

So:

Fees Yr 1 9000 + interest @6.1% = 9549.

add yr 2 fees and charge interest on the total.
add yr 3 fees and charge interest on the total of the previous years plus the interest on the interest.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 19:06   #3 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 24,450 Times in 10,444 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Corbyn is still thinking about it . Not much he can do yet. May on the other hand wants to skin the kids for every penny piece.

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
JanetClarke (11th August 2017), Leo (11th August 2017), Michael Hanley (11th August 2017), StuandKath (11th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 20:50   #4 (permalink)

Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasya View Post
Corbyn is still thinking about it . Not much he can do yet. May on the other hand wants to skin the kids for every penny piece.

Steve
As our youngsters come out of university they are financially bu**ered. I know that some will say that they will end up in highly paid jobs. However that is not always the case in this day and age. They then try to get on the housing ladder and when trying to get a mortgage their student loans are taken into account and they are deemed to not being able to afford the mortgage.

From an education and housing perspective times have changed for our young people and they have not changed for the better.
Michael Hanley is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Hanley For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th August 2017), Hilsjw (12th August 2017), Leo (11th August 2017), StuandKath (11th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 20:55   #5 (permalink)

glennbondharper is on a distinguished road

Lets be honest the vast majority of children are simply not good enough for university but the Uk has a problem as they stopped training people 25 years ago and now nobody wants to pay for it.Youngsters want something for nothing and think university will solve all their problems but unless they are driven with a set goal then it will end in failure meanwhile the country is short on most skills
glennbondharper is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to glennbondharper For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (12th August 2017), Maisie (12th August 2017), Michael Hanley (11th August 2017), Spurs (11th August 2017), Yalides (14th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,226 Times in 12,886 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Steve
How long does he need?

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Yalides (14th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 21:11   #7 (permalink)

Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold Michael Hanley is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbondharper View Post
Lets be honest the vast majority of children are simply not good enough for university but the Uk has a problem as they stopped training people 25 years ago and now nobody wants to pay for it.Youngsters want something for nothing and think university will solve all their problems but unless they are driven with a set goal then it will end in failure meanwhile the country is short on most skills
I think what you are referring to is Thatcherism.

When I went to Secondary School in Ireland you had a dual system. After a certain point youngsters who didn't wish to follow an academic career split off to a Technical School. At that school they would study academic subjects but would also study a range of trade skills. At the end of this route students were well placed to carry on with apprenticeships. Students who choose to continue on the purely academic route would invariably go to university.

For the life of me I can't see the faults in this system and it turns youngsters out for all walks of life and has a better chance of avoiding the round pegs in square holes scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Hanley For This Useful Post:
juco (11th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 21:30   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,359 Posts
esb1841 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Steve
Tuition fees were introduced in September 1998 under the Labour government

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuitio...United_Kingdom
esb1841 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esb1841 For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (12th August 2017), Yalides (14th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 21:36   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,014 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

As I see it the complete education system has been downgraded, from primary where you are not allowed to be wrong or cannot lose a race to secondary where the exams are much easier to pass than 40 years ago which allows not so clever people to get to uni to then sit non academic (my opinion)
degrees.
Such as:
Baking technology, Brewing and distilling, Circus performance,
Hand embroidery, Yacht operations, Floral design, Theatre practice & puppetry, Ethical hacking, An MA on the Beatles.

I would reckon most of this would have been an apprenticeship of a type at one time.

How times have changed.
I made it to high school but couldnt cope (too thick) and left at 15. My older brother was clever but parents werent letting him go until my dad went to get an ice cream from a van and the `server` was one of his teachers who gave my dad a bollockin for not letting him to Uni, he got 13 passes between o-level and higher levels, so a turn around and brother went to do chemistry at Edin Uni, after a year he was told its too easy for you try mathematical physics and he was the youngest in Scotland to get a 1st class honours. Got jobs and never used the fekcin degree, did earn good money though.

In those days you had to be clever to get there but now I could probably go and get a degree in something. So we end up with a load of half wits in top jobs and running the country.

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
esb1841 (11th August 2017), Harem (12th August 2017), Hilsjw (12th August 2017), Maisie (12th August 2017), Michael Hanley (11th August 2017), Spurs (12th August 2017)
Old 11th August 2017, 21:43   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
As I see it the complete education system has been downgraded, from primary where you are not allowed to be wrong or cannot lose a race to secondary where the exams are much easier to pass than 40 years ago which allows not so clever people to get to uni to then sit non academic (my opinion)
degrees.
Such as:
Baking technology, Brewing and distilling, Circus performance,
Hand embroidery, Yacht operations, Floral design, Theatre practice & puppetry, Ethical hacking, An MA on the Beatles.

I would reckon most of this would have been an apprenticeship of a type at one time.

How times have changed.
I made it to high school but couldnt cope (too thick) and left at 15. My older brother was clever but parents werent letting him go until my dad went to get an ice cream from a van and the `server` was one of his teachers who gave my dad a bollockin for not letting him to Uni, he got 13 passes between o-level and higher levels, so a turn around and brother went to do chemistry at Edin Uni, after a year he was told its too easy for you try mathematical physics and he was the youngest in Scotland to get a 1st class honours. Got jobs and never used the fekcin degree, did earn good money though.

In those days you had to be clever to get there but now I could probably go and get a degree in something. So we end up with a load of half wits in top jobs and running the country.

If you are right about this list of courses in which you can gain degree status then it is rediculous to the point of being funny.

Tags
fees , university