Sceptre

As at 1st January 2018 no plastic bags in Turkey
I also cant get the link to work, but if it's what I think it is, they are following the UK on charging for them and not giving them.Koshtas tried selling me 2 carrier bags a few months ago, told them to st*** them.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I wonder if they will also pocket the charity money as Tesco seem to have done in the UK.

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Strange how you could not get that link to work ... it works fine for me ... anyway, here is what it says ...

The use of plastic bags in markets and stores will be restricted across Turkey starting in 2018, the Turkish Retailers’ Federation (TPF) announced on March 28, state-run Anadolu Agency has reported.

TPF head Mustafa Altunbilek said the decision was made in an effort to reduce waste, adding that they were planning to motivate customers to use cloth or other non-plastic bags.

Such regulations have already been implemented in Europe and the United States, Altunbilek said, adding that plastic bags would only be sold for a fee starting Jan. 1, 2018.

The TPF head said they would launch efforts to inform people about the drawbacks of using plastic bags, adding that they would make cloth and net bags more convenient for local markets.

“We will motivate customers to use net and cloth bags while shopping. We will give paper and cloth bags to customers during the transition process. In Europe, customers bring these bags along with them due to the ban on using plastic bags,” he said.

Meanwhile, bag producers in Turkey are expected to take action following the announcement of the coming ban, with some firms moving to produce biodegradable bags.

Some experts remarked that the transition would not be easy, adding that some firms could go bankrupt, resulting in greater unemployment.

Some leading sector players said some plastic bag producers could redirect their production toward exports, daily Dünya reported, adding that other producers might also begin producing biodegradable bags for the domestic market.

A market consumes an average of 10 tons of plastic bags per month in Turkey; when extrapolated to the entire country, markets in the country are believed to consume a total of 250,000 tons of plastic bags per month.

Yavuz Eroğlu, the head of the Turkish Plastic Industrialists, Research and Development Association (PAGEV), said plastic bags were actually more environmentally friendly as they could be used over and over.

Collecting a fee from consumers for plastic bags would be a better idea than selling bags to buyers, Eroğlu said.

Eroğlu also took umbrage with the suggestion that a ban would be imposed against plastic bags, saying the changes were only limited to a regulation to sell plastic bags for a fee.

Eroğlu said they have long been pursuing efforts to produce biodegradable bags with the support of Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodities Exchanges (TOBB).

Vedat Kılıç, the chair of the Assessable Waste Material Industrialist Association (TÜ-DAM), welcomed the decision, adding that providing plastic bags for free was resulting in a waste of resources and the creation of more garbage.

“The situation must be explained clearly to customers to prevent anger among customers. Attention should be drawn to the issue with public service ads. Otherwise, customers will say, ‘Why are we paying for plastic bags which have been free for years?’” he said.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I wonder if they will also pocket the charity money as Tesco seem to have done in the UK.

Tesco have unwisely imho deducted the cost of the bags from the total raised .

Other supermarket retailers have not , but no one raises as much as Tesco , from bags .

Steve

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Tesco have unwisely imho deducted the cost of the bags from the total raised .

Other supermarket retailers have not , but no one raises as much as Tesco , from bags .

Steve

I read it as 'administrative' charges

anfi

will have to remember to take a couple of bags out with me on my first visit next year.

A89

I cant open the link either.
Two things strike me about this. The first is that it is a good idea and the second is that its a bit of a drop in the ocean when its so difficult to get anything recycled here. Still - suppose theyve got to start somewhere! :smile:

alison

oldfogy

Just passing through
What annoys me is the fact that shops now quite often seem to have run out of the 5p bags and only have the bags for life at 'more than 5p of which they keep all of the cash, although some shops say they still donate all of the cost to charity, but I think that could be open to proof.

Sceptre

It's a move that needs to be made. Shopkeepers look at me askance when I refuse their offer of a bag and tell them it is not good for the environment.

What do you carry your shopping home in then.??

Sceptre

Personally, I think the carrier bag thing is a scam anyway.1 little carrier bag full of non-bio packaging.Cancels the other out really.

oldfogy

Just passing through
People who think it's either a scam or a injustice should reply by walking away and leaving the produce at the till.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
What do you carry your shopping home in then.??

Often it is just one item that they want to wrap. It's only going on the car seat anyway.
We do have some bags for life from the UK and quite a lot of 'Goodie bags' from conferences attended whilst working.

Hilsjw

This is an excellent idea. So often we have been given far too many bags in say, Bim. These bags are very bad for the environment, especially in Turkey where littering seems to be the norm. You soon get used to carrying a couple of spare bags when shopping. In the U.K. shops and markets can give plastic bags if they have no more than 2,00 (?) employees. I bought an item in a charity shop recently and the young lady made a charge for the bag she gave me (which was a 2nd hand plastic bag!) As the assistant had mild learning difficulties I didn't mention it as that would have been cruel. However, generally charity shops with their shabby well used bags shouldn't be charging !

Sceptre

People who think it's either a scam or a injustice should reply by walking away and leaving the produce at the till.

So, because I think the carrier bag scheme is a scam, I should stop shopping.It took you all day to think that one up did it OF.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom