Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th January 2018, 17:42   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 5,722 Times in 2,714 Posts
SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute SLEEPY has a reputation beyond repute
Jesus wept

Only in this God forsaken country.
Holy row: Limerick priest tells singing granny to 'get off the bus' - Limerick Leader
Old 5th January 2018, 17:56   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 20,161 Times in 10,161 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jesus wept

These wee yarns involving religious matters re life in far flung parts of the country remind of the spate of moving statue reports in rural Ireland in the 80s

My fav photo of the time was after some locals sat for hours in a Tipp village waiting for a 1/4 ton statue of Mary to move by itself and found they had wasted their time- some local wag tied a cardboard notice round Madges neck reading.....Out Of Order

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 5th January 2018 at 17:59..
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Akasya (5th January 2018)
Old 5th January 2018, 18:53   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 1,241 Times in 534 Posts
Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of Billy Joe has much to be proud of

Wasn't there a song' You cannae shove your Granny aff the bus'
Old 6th January 2018, 06:54   #4 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,361 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

An old Scottish children's song.
I remember Russ Abbott and Andy Stewart singing it many moons ago but I'm sure the kids love it.
Old 7th January 2018, 12:42   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 4,630 Times in 1,948 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

So the priest thinks it's ok to arrange a group to find and possibly cage or kill a little bird, but wrong for a woman to sing about it?

Please don't get me started on the the twisted misogyny of the church.

I'd never heard of Wren Day and found this online. (my underscores in the text.)The new year around here (west Walws) has been for 'calenig' or in older times, the Mari Llwyd which was a model grey horse's head on a pole taken around the villages and farms. When Llandaff Cathedral was bombed in WW2 subsequent repairs found an old Mari Llwyd in the stone walls.

Phyllis Kinney on the tradition of Hunting the Wren
‘Hunting the Wren’ in Wales usually took place between the 6th of January and the 12th which was Twelfth Night. It was a custom connected with luck-visiting and formed part of the celebrations around the winter solstice. The Wren-Hunt had a long tradition in Britain, especially in Ireland and Wales, though the custom was also practiced in other parts of the British Isles, including Scotland and the Isle of Man, as well as England. Customs change over the centuries but basically it involved a party of young men who would go out and catch a wren — the smallest of all the birds. Sometimes it would be killed but sometimes it would be put alive in a little cage which they called his ‘elor’ or bier and dead or alive they would carry it in procession through the neighbourhood singing songs praising the wren as the King of the Birds. They always called at the ‘big house’ during their procession for there they would be invited in and have food and wassail and sometimes money.

In Pembrokeshire they called the period of the wren-hunt custom ‘Twelfth-tide’. There, the wren-house was a little wooden cottage dressed with ribbons and the wren was inside. Outside the door they would sing

Joy, health, love and peace be all here in this place
By your leave we will sing concerning our King
Our King is well dressed in the silks of the best
In ribbons so rare no king can compare
We have travelled many miles over hedges and stiles
In search of our King unto you we bring…
Old Christmas is past Twelfth-tide is the last
And we bid you adieu – Great joy to the new!

In north Wales the song was different – different words in a different metre and sung to a different tune. The verses are alternately question and response, that is the first verse asks a question and the second verse responds, usually with a description, often humorous, of the wren-hunt and its outcome:
“Where are you going?” “Going to the woods”
“What will you do there? “We’ll hunt the wren”
“Where will you find him?” “Under a bush”
“How will you get him home?” “With horse and cart”
“How will you cook him?” “In a big pan” etc. etc.

Although several wren-hunt songs were collected in north Wales there appears to be no description of the custom there, but a note in the Welsh Folk-Song Society Journal I, page 106 mentions an illiterate farm labourer near Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant who sang a version of the wren-hunt song. “He used to render it in a kind of chant exceedingly interesting to listen to, and often have I seen his fellow-servants crowding to the stable-loft to hear him sing and to see him act it.” The reference to acting suggests that the various verses might have been acted out as part of the ritual.

The wren-hunt custom has long ago died out in Wales, but it seems to be undergoing a revival in the Isle of Man where they have day-long celebrations with dancing in the town and large instrumental groups accompanying the wren processions. In Ireland also ‘Hunting the Wren’ is beginning again after almost dying out. Fortunately enough old people remember how it was done so that the custom is being passed on once again. In Wales the wren songs are no longer connected with the custom but they still exist. Sung socially, and often seasonally, they are sometimes rollicking, sometimes dramatic, and deserve to be part of your holiday repertoire this year.

Last edited by Kanga; 7th January 2018 at 12:46..
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 14:52   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 10,421 Times in 4,163 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Joe View Post
Wasn't there a song' You cannae shove your Granny aff the bus'
Yep!

What a nasty, angry looking man, I wouldn't want my child anywhere near him!, never mind me Granny!

Russ Abbot - Ye Canny Shove Yer Granny off a bus.MP4 - YouTube

The Wrens are safe in my garden, I make sure I throw some bird-treats where he/she visits everyday

Last edited by tintagel; 7th January 2018 at 15:35..
tintagel is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
jesus , wept