FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2018, 08:45   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,680 Times in 2,843 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Rivers of Blood - Enoch Powell

BBC are to air this speech tomorrow night. Some are saying it should not be aired.

Listening to LBC the right-on Libs are saying, variously, it should not be heard, it should be aired, it is racist, it is a prophetic vision.

Funny to listen to the radio hosts, most of them not living at the time, say how it was widely rejected at the time. I was a teenager in Wolverhampton in 1968 (when this was delivered), and Enoch Powell was the local MP. I can tell you that it was not rejected, and he was not condemned by the locals, who largely thought he was speaking the unspeakable truth.

The speech was made in the light of the upcoming Race Relations Act

Back to now. A succession of ethnic background callers to the radio, are saying the BBC is racist for airing it, it should not be heard, it will create problems.

But others, who were coming into the country during the ī60s, are saying that his words have proved to be correct. They point to parts of the country/towns that have been turned into ghettos (their words), where indigenous British can not go, and the use of the aforesaid Race Relations Act to bring his prediction of immigrants holding "the whip hand" to become true.

Poor presenters getting really tied up in knots as they try to push their own agenda.

Ian
immac is online now send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (13th April 2018), mollag (13th April 2018), shash (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 10:35   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 14,313 Times in 5,834 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rivers of Blood - Enoch Powell

It is freely available on the net, I think I posted it on here a few years back.
It should be read in it's entirety, not piecemeal to grasp it's true intent
Me ? I think it was a warning of problems to come rather than a racist diatribe.
Has there been integration problems since, as he was trying to warn us of ?

Not many would answer no.
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mollag For This Useful Post:
35pluschips (13th April 2018), Sceptre (13th April 2018), shash (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 10:42   #3 (permalink)

Sceptre is a jewel in the rough Sceptre is a jewel in the rough Sceptre is a jewel in the rough Sceptre is a jewel in the rough

It was the gutter press that labelled his speech ''Rivers of Blood'' not Enoch Powell.You don't need to show it on TV, it's widely available on the internet.But, as a firm believer in Freedom of Speech, why not show it on the BBC, after all the Taxpayers are payıng for it and they should be able to hear it.
Sceptre is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 10:57   #4 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 27,954 Times in 12,509 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not on radio four ?

Black immigrants have the whip hand ?

Ask Mo Farah why he has been stopped forty times driving his Be eM , and it was not for his autograph.

Whip hand , racist claptrap .

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 11:02   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,308 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute

I was only a kid but I do remember my Father & his brother agreeing with Powell, was he right then? Well he was predicting the future by what he could see going on around him with his own eyes there & then. Don't forget, it was a different era, a different breed of people. Fought wars & those who never were in & out of air raid shelters. Certain regions in the Midlands would've come under the "swamped" category.
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 35pluschips For This Useful Post:
Sceptre (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 11:05   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

An ironic and funny exchange on the Nick Ferrari show this morning. An academic, with a pronounced West African accent was being interviewed.
It went something like this (I was not taking notes).
NF: Are you in favour of the BBC airing this speech?
Academic: Not unless it is done in the context of academic debate
NF: so if that is satisfied, you are happy?
Ac: No, it should not be heard.
NF: But you said it should be
Ac: BBC is racist. It should not be broadcast unless in the context of academic debate.
NF: You can accuse the BBC of many things, but racism is not one of them
Ac: Yes they are racist for raising this
NF: So you donīt think it should be aired?
Ac. No, it should be aired. BBC is racist for airing it

It went on like this for a few minutes. Academic did not want it debated, and did not see the irony of an immigrant dictating what the British listeners should be able to listen to.

Another chap who came to UK in the 1960s complained about the ghettos that have formed in his area (N England) , where even fourth generation immigrants do not speak English, and white people are not welcome even to walk the streets, let alone live there.

Ian
immac is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
35pluschips (13th April 2018), Hilsjw (13th April 2018), shash (13th April 2018), suzyq (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 11:24   #7 (permalink)
shash

shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
BBC are to air this speech tomorrow night. Some are saying it should not be aired.

Listening to LBC the right-on Libs are saying, variously, it should not be heard, it should be aired, it is racist, it is a prophetic vision.

Funny to listen to the radio hosts, most of them not living at the time, say how it was widely rejected at the time. I was a teenager in Wolverhampton in 1968 (when this was delivered), and Enoch Powell was the local MP. I can tell you that it was not rejected, and he was not condemned by the locals, who largely thought he was speaking the unspeakable truth.

The speech was made in the light of the upcoming Race Relations Act

Back to now. A succession of ethnic background callers to the radio, are saying the BBC is racist for airing it, it should not be heard, it will create problems.

But others, who were coming into the country during the ī60s, are saying that his words have proved to be correct. They point to parts of the country/towns that have been turned into ghettos (their words), where indigenous British can not go, and the use of the aforesaid Race Relations Act to bring his prediction of immigrants holding "the whip hand" to become true.

Poor presenters getting really tied up in knots as they try to push their own agenda.

Ian
I do remember the said speech and I think that if it's heard now by many people it could fuel added problems to the already dire problems we already have. Not sure everyone will be listening to BBC radio 4 archive though. However I for one hope it does not cause problems because I personally feel we are all on a knife edge. I dare say it's been seen many a time by some including me and the message is always the same. I don't need to remind anyone what the message was but it's a fact that Enoch Powell should have been taken notice of because all that's happened over the years has just been sugar coated and that same sugar is constantly simmering. I hope it doesn't reach boiling point.
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

For those interested "...will be read in full on Saturday for the first time ever, on Radio 4’s Archive On 4 programme"

Ian
immac is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 17:35   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 4,966 Times in 2,118 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

I too grew up in Wolverhampton and was a teenager in the 60s. Powell was our local MP and an intelligent, articulate man, highly educated and well versed in the classics.
We took his speech as a forwarning of things to come. At that time areas like Whitmore Reans were fast becoming ghettoes and it was not unusual to be the only white on a bus, including the driver and conductor.
There were wide reports of a white person walking the length of a bus and sitting next to the sole other white, remarking 'Dr Livingstone I presume!'
Not sure if it was true, but that's how it felt sometimes.
On the other hand it was genuinely shocking to see a BBC news report last night (12th) that said the children of immigrants from the 50s and 60s who came to the UK with their parents were never given nationality papers or a British passport. The Beeb reported a case of a Caribbean man who arrived as a child with his parents in the 60s, grew up, married, has worked and lived here ever since, but is now being denied cancer treatment because he cannot prove he is British.
That is totally appalling and cannot be allowed.
35pluschips (13th April 2018), Akasya (13th April 2018), bookworms (13th April 2018), mollag (14th April 2018), saoirse (13th April 2018)
Old 13th April 2018, 17:41   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 20,555 Times in 10,398 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not funny and I will award myself various infractions but the Dr Livingstone story made me laugh

As regards Enoch -after being run out of British politics this right wing wacko plied his trade- like some other GB political rejects- here in the North of Ireland

As regards his speech imho only in the most exceptional situs should free speech be curtailed

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Michael Hanley (13th April 2018), mollag (14th April 2018)

Tags
blood , enoch , powell , rivers