Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,920 Times in 3,227 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
A heartwarming story

Please feel free to post your own as you come across them.

A couple celebrating their golden wedding anniversary year are also celebrating 50 years with the same car.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-46017189
bickern (3rd November 2018), Hilsjw (4th November 2018), lewknor (4th November 2018), Maisie (4th November 2018), suecheshireuk (5th November 2018), Tillyfloss (5th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 08:01   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 4,406 Times in 1,606 Posts
Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute Maisie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A heartwarming story

We were married the day after this couple. Although we too drove our car for our honeymoon in Torquay, I dread to think what it would be like now.

Of course, it wasn't a fancy car like the MG, just a bog ordinary Hillman Minx. It did take quite a time to get to Torquay though. All was well until the return home journey. Just entered Dorking (on the way to Plaistow, East London where we lived) when new hubby swore and said "the bl---y clutch has just gone". It was raining too!

As we were in the middle of the High Road, it took a couple of kindly passersby to push us round a corner and into a car park. I found a telephone box and rang our home, as I knew my parents would be there. Mother took down all our curtains to get cleaned and they were putting them back. Dad said "stay where you are" I'll come and get you".

As we were not on the main road, after a time we wandered up and down in the rain watching. We even got stopped by the police who had noticed our wanderings! Whilst we were talking to the police, Dad appeared. The policeman waved him around to the car park. As Dad turned (his) right into the car park road, I noticed his car was caved in on the passenger side. It seems that on his way down, somewhere he was turning right and a car in the through traffic jumped the lights and crashed into him.

It turned out that Dad had gone somewhere in London on his way down and believe it or not had purchased a new clutch cable for our car! He had also brought stuff to put on the ground so he could get under the car as the ground was so wet. I watched whilst they jacked up the car a bit and Dad crawled underneath. Eventually the cable was in and we could continue home. Perhaps I should say at this point that Dad was an Engineer and was a Superintendent in Fords.

Dad said that we should follow him as the quickest route was through London. By now it was dark and I was a bit on edge. Somehow or other a few cars got between us and we could only catch glimpses of Dad now and again. We did notice that in the particular road we were on, Dad was in the outside lane and we were in the left hand lane. But there was too much traffic to get out. Then all of a sudden, there was a dividing barrier in the road! Dad drove on and we got diverted left!

Suffice it to say, Dad got to our home a long time before we did, after doing a detour of North London!

That car a couple of years later took us to Liverpool, where hubby's firm moved him. We sold the car to one of his colleagues in the office when we bought my Dad's car (the one that had rescued us). A Zodiac which was considerably younger than our old Hillman!

Oh, happy days!

Maisie
Akasya (4th November 2018), bickern (4th November 2018), IbrahimAbi (4th November 2018), j in bo (4th November 2018), lewknor (4th November 2018), ted j (4th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 08:53   #3 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 28,247 Times in 12,686 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Clutch cable Maisie , them were the days , we were down in Torquay a couple of years ago all seemed to be well .

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Maisie (4th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 09:31   #4 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

When I did a grand tour in 1985 on my 1100cc Kawasaki, we were going from Turkey (Izmir) to Egypt. I took a spare clutch cable. It broke when we were in Syria. Changed it. the new cable broke in Amman (jordan) just as we were to get a ferry from Aqaba to Egypt. I found a refrigeration engineer who welded a nut (to replace the nipple) onto the end of the cable. We had to drive through Cairo with a clutch cable which was a tad too short so did not totally disengage. Those were the days!
j in bo (4th November 2018), Maisie (4th November 2018), ted j (4th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 11:15   #5 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,412 Times in 4,500 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

I took my first driving test on my Vespa , I'd put a brand new rear brake cable on as the old one looked a bit frayed
All was going well until I did the emergency stop when the bugger broke (nipple came right off),so then test was then cancelled
I reapplied and took it again exactly 1 week later (and passed), after bollocking the guy who sold me the cable and getting 2 free in it's place

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (4th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 11:48   #6 (permalink)

bashful is a jewel in the rough bashful is a jewel in the rough bashful is a jewel in the rough

On the subject of driving, I aquired a driving licence renewal here in Turkey last Friday. Made an appointment for the Nufus office, paid a visit to my GP who signed me off as A1. Went to Ziraat bank and paid my 15tl. The business in the Nufus was a bit stressfull but do-able. My new licence will arrive by Kargo in a week or two.
Oh by the way, my first car was a1936 Singer Le Mans Bantam..... it lasted a year!
bashful is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 11:59   #7 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashful View Post
On the subject of driving, I aquired a driving licence renewal here in Turkey last Friday. Made an appointment for the Nufus office, paid a visit to my GP who signed me off as A1. Went to Ziraat bank and paid my 15tl. The business in the Nufus was a bit stressfull but do-able. My new licence will arrive by Kargo in a week or two.
Oh by the way, my first car was a1936 Singer Le Mans Bantam..... it lasted a year!
15TL? What else did you need to take with you Bash?
Old 4th November 2018, 12:04   #8 (permalink)

bashful is a jewel in the rough bashful is a jewel in the rough bashful is a jewel in the rough

My wife... because she speaks Turkish!
bashful is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bashful For This Useful Post:
bickern (4th November 2018), IbrahimAbi (4th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 12:21   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 12,589 Times in 4,642 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashful View Post
Off topic I know but I have the old licence and shortly everyone is supposed to upgrade, is that what you did bashful.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Maisie (4th November 2018)
Old 4th November 2018, 12:23   #10 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,412 Times in 4,500 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my first proper car, a Cortina Mk1

Last edited by ted j; 4th November 2018 at 13:02..
ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (4th November 2018), Maisie (4th November 2018)

Tags
heartwarming , story