Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 8th March 2019, 12:30   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 21,157 Times in 10,765 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Paras to be prosecuted

As officially no decision is to be made until Tuesday you probably are not aware yet of word round the campfire in Belfast that an announcement will be made next Thursday that 4 Paras will be prosecuted re Bloody Sunday murders

Its from a usually reliable source

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 8th March 2019, 12:39   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 13,170 Times in 4,926 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paras to be prosecuted

A convicted IRA murderer has said it would be wrong to prosecute paratroopers involved in the Bloody Sunday shootings, insisting it is time to “draw a line in the sand”.

Anthony McIntyre, who was convicted of the 1976 shooting of a loyalist in Belfast, said there were no grounds for pursuing the soldiers through the courts and said it was time move on.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-prisoner.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...t-case-ireland

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali

Last edited by bickern; 8th March 2019 at 12:42..
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Camden (8th March 2019), oldfogy (8th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 12:46   #3 (permalink)

saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

There will of course be bitterly divided opinion on such a sensitive and tragic issue

For what its worth I take my lead on this from the victims families

Their dignity as well as their tenacity and perseverance has been awe inspiring

The general feeling amongst them is obviously these killers must be tried but given their age circumstances and the innocence of their own families they should not be jailed

Frankly if thats good enough for those who lost their loved ones its should imho be ample for the rest of us

Everyones a loser in this matter

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
abba (8th March 2019), bashful (8th March 2019), Yalides (10th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 13:30   #4 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,235 Times in 2,463 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickern View Post
A convicted IRA murderer has said it would be wrong to prosecute paratroopers involved in the Bloody Sunday shootings, insisting it is time to “draw a line in the sand”.

Anthony McIntyre, who was convicted of the 1976 shooting of a loyalist in Belfast, said there were no grounds for pursuing the soldiers through the courts and said it was time move on.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-prisoner.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...t-case-ireland
Yes of course it's time to move on, but there are certain people and fractions who just do not want to move on and will even fight to reinstigate the killings/murders and seem hell bent in returning RoI into a no-go area, even threats of violence of the Brexit Border issue is surely proof of that when we even have at least one TLF member saying as much.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
DRACEY (9th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 13:38   #5 (permalink)

Yeah sadly i think this subject is a classic case of one which is not suitable for " cut n paste" style debate as misconceptions and contradictions arise immediately without thorough knowledge of the subject matter

The IRA man Bickern quoted isnt for a second supportive of those who murdered in this tragedy- he is a supporter of a complete amnesty for all killings

That has been ruled out ostensively by the British and was not in the GFA, an agreement Mc Intyre entirely opposes as he fell out with mainstream Republicans and wished to continue the conflict-although some British figures want the absurdity of a " British forces only amnesty"

I am afraid in the real world either everyone is equal under the law or there is no law

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 8th March 2019 at 13:44..
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
abba (8th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 13:51   #6 (permalink)

I should add that this is a complex and bitterly controversial matter across all sides

I add that as there are many further controversial massacres some involving British forces as well as literally 100s of individual killings by all groupings due to come down the line

As a matter of interest I would like to hear what ordinary British people think how these matters could be handled

I ask that genuinely as i lost relatives and friends and can honestly tell you we are divided even within our own family as best way to go on this

Frankly here we are lost on best way forward

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 8th March 2019 at 13:56..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
abba (8th March 2019), Kanga (8th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 14:09   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,067 Posts
Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is magnanimous and open hearted of the IRA man in Bickern's post to feel this way, and would be great if the families of the victim's could feel the same,but very difficult for people so close to the act and feel so unjustly treated.

Personally I think its not good for any Government to be seen to give themselves what looks like a self amnesty from holding an actual trial,you expect this from the likes of Argentina ,Chile or government in Zimbabwe. Not from the Mother of all Parliaments.

A trial for the families and those defendants accused would be the best way to go. In saying that, if it is to happen it should also be applied to all the paramilitaries for their past acts .....

I agree jail time if convicted is not in the interest's of anyone, nor would it serve anyone who wants to relieve the burden of the past conflict continuing on into the next generation,who should be allowed to concentrate solely on building on these peaceful times and into the future.
Camden is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Camden For This Useful Post:
saoirse (8th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 14:17   #8 (permalink)

Good post Camden

Appreciated

One of the unsung heroes whos good work behind the scenes has in some part only became clear after his death was Paddy Ashdown

He had a unique perspective on our situ which virtually no one else enjoyed

Paddy was a no nonsense tough British soldier and officer who was in the thick of it in Belfast and admitted he pulled no punches

He was also a very shrewd kind and decent human being who was very aware that his background experience and social standing amongst ruling classes gave him a priceless opportunity to view matters from angles most of us cannot

He became very active in clandestine arbitration peace making and pursuing peace and justice

Wish to god he was still here as the current ruling British classes are crass useless and devoid of any interest or humanity when it comes to these matters

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 8th March 2019 at 14:20..
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Kanga (8th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 14:59   #9 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,235 Times in 2,463 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
I should add that this is a complex and bitterly controversial matter across all sides

I add that as there are many further controversial massacres some involving British forces as well as literally 100s of individual killings by all groupings due to come down the line

As a matter of interest I would like to hear what ordinary British people think how these matters could be handled

I ask that genuinely as i lost relatives and friends and can honestly tell you we are divided even within our own family as best way to go on this

Frankly here we are lost on best way forward
You could try [Forgive & Forget] that's if you really want Peace not only in your heart but also in your mother country.

I say mother country as you seem to have deserted yours or at least moved to somewhere less troublesome but still want to advocate violence or what goes on over there.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
DRACEY (9th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019, 15:07   #10 (permalink)

Come on OF

That’s daft
I do not want any violence we have had more than enough

Sticking just with the sensible part of your post yes forgiveness is the key

People amaze me in how they can do this and often it’s those worse affected who forgive most

As I posted earlier within my family we disagree re these matters and I feel it’s wrong to expect forgiveness from someone else- it’s very much only in the victims gift

Complex stuff

Henrik er min hjelte.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
bashful (8th March 2019), lewknor (8th March 2019), Yalides (10th March 2019)

Tags
paras , prosecuted