FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2019, 13:04   #11 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,113 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anti-americanism in Turkey on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegogs View Post
Not been over to Turkey this year yet. Going over on Saturday. If going by last year I can say I never noticed any difference. Spent most time in Gumusluk and Yalikavak, so can't really comment on other areas. The folk in the supermarket were just as friendly. The wee woman in the laundrette still shoved fruit in my mouth when I picked up washing. Still got cheery hellos from Turkish neighbours. The religious thing I can't comment on. Im non religious and dont need anywhere to worship. (Ive to spend all my time worshipping the wife and pray at her feet if I wish to remain intact). As for the comment above about "if" we treated Muslims the same way in the U.K. I found that amusing. If I was treated with a fraction of the animosity Muslims are receiving in the UK now whilst I was in Turkey I would never go back.
I think Brits are just much more honest about our feelings than Turks. When you are buying in their shops and eating in their restaurants etc Turks are all very friendly to your face - what they say in Turkish as they turn away is a different thing altogether though and if you stop buying their wares they often cut you dead in my experience. In England we aren't as two faced and false, we certainly aren't ın the north anyway! :

alison

Last edited by A89; 28th May 2019 at 14:03..
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (28th May 2019), Hilsjw (29th May 2019)
Old 28th May 2019, 14:13   #12 (permalink)

weegogs has a spectacular aura about weegogs has a spectacular aura about weegogs has a spectacular aura about

Well I can only go by personal experience. I couldn't get my MacBook to recognise my dongle. The lassie in the shop couldn't either. She asked me to hold on 15 minutes then took me to a friend of hers who was a bit of a laptop guru. He fixed it in 5mins. No one wanted money and was waved away when I tried to pay. Would never get that at home. My wife was chased round a market in Spain for looking at a stall for too long and then deciding not to buy. The guy was really aggressive. My wife got a real fright and fetched me from a nearby cafe. And she's no shrinking violet.
weegogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weegogs For This Useful Post:
A89 (28th May 2019), Akasya (28th May 2019), dazkad (29th May 2019), IbrahimAbi (28th May 2019), michaelm (28th May 2019)
Old 1st July 2019, 18:53   #13 (permalink)
Bacon and eggs

Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light

I live away from the tourist areas and mix socially with Turks many of whom share political opinions on social media. I have lived here for 20 years and there is a great deal of anti American sentiment expressed. Everything bad that happens in Turkey is claimed to be the fault of the U.S. and to some lesser extent the British who are seen to be US puppets. I haven't noticed a trend of it getting worse, it ebbs and flows with whatever Turkish or middle eastern crisis is on, who are largely seen as brothers. The failed coup was apparently planned by the CIA.. the collapse of the economy was arranged by the CIA, and so on. Generally this doesn't translate to being anti individuals if you follow the advice given above and integrate. Although about 18 years ago a petrol station attendant in İzmir asked me where I was from. When I said England he replied, "We don't like the British over here". He received a severe tongue lashing from my Turkish wife, poor bloke!
Lez Zetli is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lez Zetli For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (3rd July 2019)
Old 1st July 2019, 19:16   #14 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 24,882 Times in 11,015 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember similar conversations 30 years ago, if you left Turkey where would you like to go ? The US or the Uk was nearly always the answer.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (3rd July 2019), Lez Zetli (1st July 2019)
Old 1st July 2019, 20:38   #15 (permalink)

Thanked 3,327 Times in 2,091 Posts
evo80 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lez Zetli View Post
I live away from the tourist areas and mix socially with Turks many of whom share political opinions on social media. I have lived here for 20 years and there is a great deal of anti American sentiment expressed. Everything bad that happens in Turkey is claimed to be the fault of the U.S. and to some lesser extent the British who are seen to be US puppets. I haven't noticed a trend of it getting worse, it ebbs and flows with whatever Turkish or middle eastern crisis is on, who are largely seen as brothers. The failed coup was apparently planned by the CIA.. the collapse of the economy was arranged by the CIA, and so on. Generally this doesn't translate to being anti individuals if you follow the advice given above and integrate. Although about 18 years ago a petrol station attendant in İzmir asked me where I was from. When I said England he replied, "We don't like the British over here". He received a severe tongue lashing from my Turkish wife, poor bloke!
Ha Ha,that was funny .On a similar slant ,one of our friends was in France on a golfing holiday .The went in a French shop and were in a queue.When they got to the front of the queue and asked for what they wanted ,the old French guy ignored them and served the French lady behind them .The old guys daughter said to my buddy in perfect English ,I am sorry about my father he does not like the English .My buddy replied to her ,that's ok we don't think much of the French either .lol
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evo80 For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (3rd July 2019)
Old 1st July 2019, 20:54   #16 (permalink)

Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,268 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience of being treated as some of the posts here have expressed. My neighbours are ever so friendly and have never made me feel an outsider.

I am not really interested in politics or football, therefore I never engage in conversation on those topics.

It may be down to area, but hereabouts I have experienced no problems except to those arrogant obnoxious Brits who never fit in, and to be honest deserved what they received.

If you think you or your passport are superior, or that all Turks should learn English, then you might find a bit of flak thrown your way.

If you are one of the "when in Rome" brigade then I foresee no problems.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st July 2019), alva5763 (1st July 2019), Freedom 49 (2nd July 2019), friar tuck (2nd July 2019), IbrahimAbi (2nd July 2019), stelliebellie (1st July 2019), ted j (1st July 2019)
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:06   #17 (permalink)
Bacon and eggs

Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light Lez Zetli is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo80 View Post
Ha Ha,that was funny .On a similar slant ,one of our friends was in France on a golfing holiday .The went in a French shop and were in a queue.When they got to the front of the queue and asked for what they wanted ,the old French guy ignored them and served the French lady behind them .The old guys daughter said to my buddy in perfect English ,I am sorry about my father he does not like the English .My buddy replied to her ,that's ok we don't think much of the French either .lol
Talking of prejudice in queues.. as a child I lived on an air base in Germany close to the Dutch border. We would cross into the Netherlands most weekends as did many other military families to go the Dutch farm shops. A few Germans would queue up among us. Everyone would be served meat, cheese and so on until it was a German's turn. "So sorry, we've sold out". Magically the stock was suddenly available again for everyone else. It was only 12 years since the end of WW2 and there was a deep hatred of the Germans in that area.

There was a strip of land between the German frontier and the Dutch frontier known as "no man's land". The German frontier police could easily identify the British cars because of their Forces number plates and they waved them through without checking. But one day they decided to tighten things up and started checking us and causing delays. There was an airbase whose entrance was just before the frontier and which had emergency exits inside no man's land. So the RAF allowed all the Forces cars into the air base and out into no man's land. The German frontier police reverted back to no checks and peace was restored.
Lez Zetli is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lez Zetli For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (3rd July 2019)
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:19   #18 (permalink)

Thanked 25,229 Times in 13,339 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

I think the same could be said of TLF - I've never seen such concerted anti Americanism from members that supposedly despise racism !
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (3rd July 2019)
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:40   #19 (permalink)

Thanked 24,345 Times in 12,447 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

If its a blanket hatred of every American for being American then clearly thats unacceptable racism and must be rejected

However a healthy critique of their foreign policy which has and continues to cause untold suffering around the globe is most certainly welcome indeed crucial

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 2nd July 2019 at 20:46..
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:04   #20 (permalink)

Thanked 25,229 Times in 13,339 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
If its a blanket hatred of every American for being American then clearly thats clearly unacceptable racism and must be rejected

It isnít hatred of individual Americans (with one exception with which I wholeheartedly agree ) - it's a blanket hatred of America and that is racism.

However a healthy critique of their foreign policy which has and continues to cause untold suffering around the globe is most certainly welcome indeed crucial

Imo the US has always tried to do the right thing albeit sometimes unsuccessfully but occupation & subjugation of the population has not been their intention unlike another nation that I may not mention for fear of going off topic.

Right now there is only one active war in Europe and it wasnít due to the US but knowing your Russian leanings this may well cloud your opinion.

Tags
americans , antiamericanism , moving , rise , safety , turkey