FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2019, 10:11   #1 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 3,863 Times in 1,459 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute
Alanya International Christmas Fair 2019

Just had a call to confirm that Sally's and I have been granted a stall at this years Alanya International Christmas Fair. We applied to Alanya Belediye a couple of weeks ago so it's good to get the call because the Belediye have a meeting each year after all applications are in, to decide how many craft stalls, how many food stalls, etc, etc. We made it, we've been selected so this will be our successive 3rd year there with Sally's hand made Cards, Christmas Crackers and Christmas Tree Decorations.

We'll have our work cut out for us but providing the weather is kind, we'll enjoy seeing people from previous years there, along with friends from Side that make the trip. It's marvelous to hear "Hi Sally" or, "How's it going Ann", only to turn around and see a friendly smiley face. It's extra good for Sally because it's one time of the year when she herself gets to meet and chat to the people that appreciate her work.

In past years, the Fair has been open from 10am-10pm. We'll attend the meeting next week to learn all the details and if there's an advertising leaflet available, I'll bring one back and post it here.
One thing we do already know is that in previous years, this Fair has been a Sunday, one day thing.

This year, they are experimenting by making it a full weekend event so, it will be held on both Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th December.
Sally and I can be found on 'Atlas Cards and Crafts' and Atlas himself will be along to help us again.

So there we go. If you can't make it on a Sunday, give it a whirl on the Saturday or (heaven forbid), if storms are forcaste on the one day, at least it leaves a 2nd chance for everyone to come out and take the young ones to see Father Christmas.
A89 (30th November 2019), Akasya (20th November 2019), Hilsjw (30th November 2019), shash (20th November 2019)
Old 20th November 2019, 10:26   #2 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 31,645 Times in 14,675 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alanya International Christmas Fair 2019

Best of luck guys...

Steve
Akasya is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (20th November 2019)
Old 29th November 2019, 10:31   #3 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Sally and I have our stall booked so, we'll give it our best!

This is the poster produced by Alanya Belediyesi, all in Turkish so for those of you with minimal Turkish, here's a few things to take note of if you're coming along. This Fair is on the open market site between Alanya Belediye and the Harbour.

Saturday 7th. December. Open 12noon-12midnight.
There'll be about 120 stalls with hand-made goods such as lampshades, childrens' clothing, olive oil soaps, paintings, and many other things, not forgetting our very own Christmas Cards and Crackers.
A Father Christmas for your children to visit and many places to take a drink or a bite to eat when your feet need a break.
A live music show to be staged late evening.

Sunday 8th. December. Open 10am-10pm.
All of the above, apart from whatever's going on on stage by the big Christmas Tree will finish at 10pm, along with everything else.

At the moment the weather forecast looks promising but as we have no control over that whatsoever, let's all just keep our fingers crossed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191129_114234.jpg (87.5 KB, 70 views)
Akasya (29th November 2019), Galaxy Girl (29th November 2019), shash (29th November 2019)
Old 29th November 2019, 15:25   #4 (permalink)
Bodrum buddy

Thanked 1,100 Times in 683 Posts
alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of

Good to see the council supporting it.
alva5763 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alva5763 For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (30th November 2019), Hilsjw (30th November 2019)
Old 29th November 2019, 16:29   #5 (permalink)
shash

Thanked 1,034 Times in 477 Posts
shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of

Good luck hope you sell loads.
shash is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shash For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (30th November 2019)
Old 29th November 2019, 20:09   #6 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,453 Times in 771 Posts
angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future

I've never been to this Christmas fair before Ann, so may I have a lift with you please? I have just laid out the 8 x do-it-yourself Christmas crackers, now I must put some items inside them and then put them all together again. I'll let you know how I get on.

The reason you have not heard from me or seen me recently is that I have been poorly with my legs again. Now they both flow watery-type fluid constantly - like 2 waterfalls. The floor is full of small puddles that I am mopping up before I wipe the legs clear. |But no sooner have I done that, and it starts up again. Every morning the bed is soaking, as if I've peed in my sleep .. but I have not ... it's the legs oozing water all the time ... pillows, sheets, and even the duvet itself need washing daily now Yuk Yuk Yuk!
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Akasya (30th November 2019)
Old 30th November 2019, 08:17   #7 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

[QUOTE=angelaturkey;1213313]I've never been to this Christmas fair before Ann, so may I have a lift with you please?

Oh dear, I'm sorry Angela but 5 or 6 people have already asked me the same question and I have to say "No" to each one.
By the time we have all Sally's boxes of Cards, Crackers, Christmas Tree Decorations, foods that we need for the 3 of us, there is normally just space left to slide the 3 Card-Stands that I use in the office over the top of everything.
Atlas bless him, gets himself in amongst everything in the middle of the car on the one seat that I've not folded down but ends up with something on his knees.

Short of going 'Nepali style' and having people on the roof, there's no way I could get anything or anyone else in the car. We also leave my home in Side at 7am and trust me, it makes for a very long day as we're not allowed to leave before midnight on the Saturday and 10pm on the Sunday.

One elderly chap that came to the office a couple of days ago to buy a couple of cards said that he hoped to organise a mini-bus to take a group of people from Four Seasons (Ilıca) as they'd done that last year and it worked very well.
People that don't have there own vehicles, or single people like yourself that don't drive, tend to source a lift from other friends that are going and some of them go each year from the Otogar on the Alanya buses which from all reports, run regularly.

lovely sunny day today here in Side. What has Alanya got in store for us next week?
Akasya (30th November 2019)
Old 30th November 2019, 09:35   #8 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 31,645 Times in 14,675 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaturkey View Post
I've never been to this Christmas fair before Ann, so may I have a lift with you please? I have just laid out the 8 x do-it-yourself Christmas crackers, now I must put some items inside them and then put them all together again. I'll let you know how I get on.

The reason you have not heard from me or seen me recently is that I have been poorly with my legs again. Now they both flow watery-type fluid constantly - like 2 waterfalls. The floor is full of small puddles that I am mopping up before I wipe the legs clear. |But no sooner have I done that, and it starts up again. Every morning the bed is soaking, as if I've peed in my sleep .. but I have not ... it's the legs oozing water all the time ... pillows, sheets, and even the duvet itself need washing daily now Yuk Yuk Yuk!
Angela the fluid , has it been diagnosed as interstitial exudate , if so have the medics discussed or tried compresion dressings / stockings . Ther ergo k2 three stage dresings go on so easily and do stop the flow very quickly . I have only just come out of eight months treatment with Urgo K2 dressings .

Just a thought honey.. ask , if i can help , i will be only too happy to oblige .

Best of

Steve
Akasya is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 10:09   #9 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Well, where do I start?
We now have 6 days' rain forcast for the Side and Alanya side of Turkey so how lucky were we to have 2 full sunny days over last Saturday and Sunday whilst the Annual Christmas Fair was on??
We were so busy, neither Sally nor myself had any time to have a proper look around and fortunately I'd taken a cooked chicken, pigs in blankets, salads, good bread and cake & biscuits, along with a full pack of Nescafe, 5ltrs of water and a kettle so at least we could eat as and when we needed to. Extremely important with Sally being Type 1 Diabetic.
So many people came to find us again from Side. That was really good, Russians, Germans and Scandanavians that have bought from us the 2 previous years also came to find our stall and of course we had endless new customers that couldn't believe they were finding Christmas Cards and Christmas Crackers in Turkey!! Fabulous, we had customers of maybe 10 or a dozen nationalities, very challenging at times with the language but those that we couldn't understand, looked at what was on offer, and bought.

We had a couple of 'hairy' times as well, one of them totally down to my stupidity and another that no-one could have planned for.

When we'd unloaded all our goods I had to take the car off-site and park it up in the street somewher as did everyone. Initially, I reversed to get out from the car in front of me by our neighbouring stall and promptly ran over and completel demolished a small table that I'd taken from home! I knew it was gone because I heard the sickening sound of splintering wood so I left Sally and my grandson Atlas laughing thier heads off at me and I just thought I'd face the music when I got back.
Now, there were 2 entrances (or exits in this case), one for pedestrians, the other for vehicles so like the prat that I can be sometimes I chose to take the carout by the pretty green entrance gate that would be used for incoming customers to the Fair. Needless to say, it wouldn't go through and if I'd been going just a bit faster, I would most likely have destroyed the gate! The Belediye Security at the gate nearly had a duckfit, I reversed, went out of the correct place and when I walked back in some minutes later, they actually found a smile for me. Lovely!

On the Saturday, the Fair was winding up at midnight. Sally and Atlas were camping out behind our stall and I was coming home to sleep in my own bed and then return for 8.30am Sunday ready to start again from 10am through til 10pm, pack up our remaining goodies and all 3 of us set off for home.

It was really cold at 11pm as I was leaving and I said to Sally,"I don't like leaving you". She said, "Oh mum, we'll be fine. Atlas is buzzing and I like camping and also it saves packing everything away".
So, I left. Next morning, found them both just fine but, Sally had shot out of bed at some silly hour of the Sunday morning when she'd been woken by gunshots. Luckilly, Atlas slept through.
Just outside the entrance to the Fair, maybe 35 or 40 mts from our stall, a chap had been shot and then run over 3 times by a car and removed to the local hospital. We have no news whatsoever about why it happened or the outcome but I would think it would be reported in an Alanya newspaper. The shooting, as I said, was just outside the venue, by Alanya Belediye and The Attaturk Monument.

So, all in all, a very eventful and busy weekend.
I returned home with a very happy Sally because she once again got to see how apreciative people are of all her hard work. A super happy Atlas who had taken on the responsibility of explaining the Christmas Crackers to all the Turkish people that came looking at our stall but he was fast asleep within a couple of minutes of setting off home.

We arrived back at mine in Side about half past midnight, Atlas kind of slept-walked into Sally's little car and off they went to do the last 18kms back to their home in Yavrudoğan.
He actually made it to school on time yesterday as normal and I'm certain he would have lots of exciting things to relate to his teacher and school-mates.

Well, that's it until this time next year.
I hope those of you that went to have a look around on the Saturday or Sunday had a good time, maybe stayed for the concert, took your children to see Father Christmas, bought a few goodies, tried some different foods?

I'm off now. Back to reality, looks very wet from my desk that looks out onto Side Blv but that's what's upfront for the next 6 days or so. I'll get used to it.

Last edited by Freedom 49; 10th December 2019 at 10:13..
Freedom 49 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freedom 49 For This Useful Post:
A89 (10th December 2019), Akasya (10th December 2019), shash (10th December 2019), Tonyone01 (10th December 2019)
Old 10th December 2019, 10:16   #10 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,031 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad it was a great success for you both!! Quite bright in Alanya just now, seems to heading your direction....

alison
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (10th December 2019)

Tags
2019 , alanya , christmas , fair , international