FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2019, 09:15   #11 (permalink)
Bodrum buddy

Thanked 1,215 Times in 757 Posts
alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of alva5763 has much to be proud of
Re: Boris - What now?

He certainly seems to dislike the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.
alva5763 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 09:40   #12 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 32,541 Times in 15,210 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
The British like a rogue, especially if they see him as a likeable rogue. He makes them laugh, he tells tall stories, he gets on with people - all the traits you find in such personalities. Many who meet him say he is personable and the sort of person you would enjoy having a drink with. They think they have the measure of him, and accept all the faults if he does what they want. He is more appealing then any of the others. You either like him or detest him - and, on the day, enough liked.

Ian
Not with their wives present , obviously .

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 09:55   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 23,976 Times in 12,230 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
The British like a rogue, especially if they see him as a likeable rogue. He makes them laugh, he tells tall stories, he gets on with people - all the traits you find in such personalities. Many who meet him say he is personable and the sort of person you would enjoy having a drink with. They think they have the measure of him, and accept all the faults if he does what they want. He is more appealing then any of the others. You either like him or detest him - and, on the day, enough liked.

Ian
The British may well do see it like that

The rest of us see it as being naive mugs

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th December 2019)
Old 16th December 2019, 10:02   #14 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 24,460 Times in 10,827 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Celtic fans have said their bit - No Boris, No Rod.

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/144...FOO-ZsAL6wURoo

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th December 2019), Camden (16th December 2019), IbrahimAbi (16th December 2019)
Old 16th December 2019, 12:39   #15 (permalink)

Thanked 5,706 Times in 2,916 Posts
Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute

It think Boris is one of these new contradictory Populist figures that the media can't get enough.

Like Trump he resonates strangely with many in the working class who have taken the view that they the ordinary people have been betrayed, neglected or exploited by a corrupt elite.

Which makes it stranger to many on the left, like me, that they have picked flawed figures both in personal life and politically. like a controversial Billionaire whose track record on both his workers rights and the public on race/misogyny/birther has been dire....... and someone from an elite public school with a lack of empathy and the same colorful language on race but also has that same grandiose self believe of his own importance, who is willing to comprise his principles in flip flopping on Brexit for naked ambition.

Both Trump and Boris seem to have the same flaw the lack of grip and focus for high office and the lack of ability to form a loyal team .

His supporters in his last leadership campaign called Boris attempts to gain support within the Tory party "chaotic" a word heard often in a Trump White House ....

This was backed up by Gove who ran Boris's last leadership campaign who is on record implying Boris wasn't a true Brexiteer saying he felt the country needed a leader "who believed heart and soul in leaving the European Union".

he ctnd ...."I came in the last few days, reluctantly and firmly, to the conclusion that while Boris has great attributes he was not capable of uniting that team and leading the party and the country in the way that I would have hoped."

This was also shown again in lack of team play and flipping when he dumped the ERG and voted along with May...

But then we had the resurrected Boris Brexiteer in his ambition to lead, backed by a Strategist ,Special Adviser Dominic Cummings , Boris's own Steve Bannon figure

It shows the lack of sticking to principles of some when it comes to personal ambition, as Gove is again is the PM's mouthpiece .....

Last edited by Camden; 16th December 2019 at 12:41..
Camden is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camden For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th December 2019), bickern (16th December 2019), IbrahimAbi (16th December 2019)
Old 16th December 2019, 13:09   #16 (permalink)

Thanked 15,982 Times in 6,245 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Camden, I have to say I agree with a lot of your above observation. Do you think that politics is now more about media, especially social media and Bojo and Trump plays to that? I don't have Twitter but I gather Trump for instance is on it 10 times a day.

I am too old school I suppose. Bojo plays to the audience I think, and being a charmer, he charms. I do not think he oozes loyalty or receives it. Gove - one step forward please.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Camden (16th December 2019)
Old 16th December 2019, 13:55   #17 (permalink)

Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute

Careful ....You are tarnishing my brainwashed Leftie Marxist street cred Bickern by agreeing ha ha

Yes, the Left had to contend with not only the rightwing press but also the Tories threw much of their budget behind youtube and facebook misleading ads so social media has had a big influence the with the Tory strategist Dominic Cumming making full use of it ...........

Thousands Of Misleading Facebook Ads Help Conservatives To ‘Crushing’ U.K. Election Victory

At the end of October, Twitter announced that it was banning political advertisements. The announcement came after its bigger rival Facebook ruled out the possibility of banning political ads on its own social network. But not only did Facebook refuse to ban political ads, it also refused to subject such ads to fact-checking, something which critics said was necessary in view of the often deceptive nature of posts from political sources.

Well, this controversial policy appears to have had the desired effect, as the incumbent Conservative government celebrated a "crushing" victory in Thursday's U.K. general election. It gained 365 seats in Parliament compared to the Labour Party's 203, and while Prime Minister Boris Johnson claimed that the result gave his administration a "stonking mandate" for Brexit, the victory may not simply have been a result of the electorate's desire for a swift exit from the EU.

According to research from fact-checking non-profit First Draft, 88% of the Facebook ads the Conservatives posted in the first four days of December were deemed misleading by Full Fact, one of the U.K.’s biggest fact-checking organisations.

By contrast, First Draft said that none of the Facebook ads posted by Labour over the same four-day period contained misleading claims.

Today In: Innovation
In particular, First Draft noted that 5,000 of the 6,749 ads paid for by the Conservatives contained references to the construction of 40 new hospitals. This figure was disputed by Full Fact, given that it had not been costed and given that the Conservatives' spending plans for the next Parliament had allocated funding only for six hospitals to be upgraded by 2025.

Not only that, but false claims about the cost of Labour's spending plans to the average tax payer made an appearance in more than 4,000 Facebook ads paid for by the Conservatives, while 500 promoted the widely refuted claim that the Tories will create jobs for 50,000 more nurses, even though the promise actually includes simply retaining 18,500 nurses already on the job.e
In other words, the Conservatives' social media election strategy involved subjecting hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of voters to false ad after false ad. Perhaps voters were swayed more by the desire to progress with Brexit when casting their votes, but the simple fact that the Conservatives paid for these “post-truth” ads indicates that the party believed they would have a tangible effect. If not, then why pay for them?

Yet putting aside the question of the ethics of the Conservative Party's conduct here, much of the scrutiny must reside with Facebook and its founder, Mark Zuckerberg.

Zuckerberg is on record defending his company's political ads policy, having argued in recent weeks that "People should be able to see for themselves what politicians are saying." At best this is a naive take on the issue, while at worst it's downright cynical and dangerous. It's wrong to assume or believe that people will simply look at misleading or false ads and quickly realise that they and the people who wrote them are lying.

Because once again, the fact that certain political parties pay for thousands of untruthful ads indicates that such parties truly believe that much of the public will believe the lies said ads peddle. They do not think, "Let's allow people to see what misleading statements and lies we're propagating." No, they think, "Let's lie to the public and hope our lies convince the public to vote for us."

If Mark Zuckerberg is an intelligent person (and there's no reason to think he isn't), he will be well aware of this. And the fact that he doesn't change Facebook's policy to prevent political misinformation suggests that he's happy with his social network being used–on an industrial scale–to disseminate such misinformation.

As the First Draft report indicates, it's a right-wing party that has spread much more misinformation than its centrist and left-wing rivals. Similar studies suggest that right-wing parties are more likely to use Facebook to spread untruths and outright lies (cf. Brazil's 2018 presidential election), and it's arguable that this is a trend Zuckerberg is happy to profit from and facilitate.

That's because it's left-wing parties, candidates and intellectuals that are threatening to regulate Facebook, tax it, break it up, or even nationalize it. Indeed, secret recordings leaked in October reveal that, in response to Elizabeth Warren's threats to regulate and break up Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg is gearing up for a “fight” with any organization or government that might attempt to restrict its cancerous growth.

"But look, at the end of the day, if someone’s going to try to threaten something that existential, you go to the mat and fight," he said, in a speech to Facebook employees that also saw him indicate that he'd be prepared to sue the U.S. government, should it attempt to follow through with any policies such as Warren's.

It gets worse, because (also in October) Politico revealed that the Facebook CEO had been holding meetings with conservative journalists, commentators and even a Republican lawmaker. These meetings related to issues of “free speech,” and appeared to be an attempt by Zuckerberg to woo elements of the right, and to assure the right that Facebook would support its efforts to the use the social network to communicate with the public.

"The White House is looking for meaningful steps from Facebook on a number of fronts,” a senior Trump administration official told Politico, clarifying that these fronts included “competition, free speech for everybody including conservatives, and privacy.”

This is potentially ominous, because in conjunction with Zuckerberg's apparent opposition to attempts to regulate or tame Facebook, they appear to indicate that the social network's political allegiances are shifting to the right, at a time when far-right governments are in the ascendence internationally.

But regardless of how true this is, the fact that Facebook refuses to fact-check political ads does not reflect well on the social network. Because combined with the fact that the Conservative Party has just used thousands of misleading Facebook ads to help it win another U.K. election, it reveals that in strictly functional terms, Facebook is indistinguishable from a social network that is avowedly and openly in favor of right-wing governments and politics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonch.../#1781b8fe3382

Last edited by Camden; 16th December 2019 at 14:17..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camden For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th December 2019), Jaycey (16th December 2019)
Old 16th December 2019, 14:14   #18 (permalink)

Thanked 15,982 Times in 6,245 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
Careful ....You are tarnishing my brainwashed Leftie Marxist street cred Bickern by agreeing ha ha
I know, it came as a complete shock to me also, I have to think was I supposed to take some meds this morning and forgot. LOL

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Camden (16th December 2019)
Old 16th December 2019, 14:25   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickern View Post
I know, it came as a complete shock to me also, I have to think was I supposed to take some meds this morning and forgot. LOL
Take your meds Bickern ,who know it might even help with that terrible new ailment you are coming down with in your pondering LOL ............
Quote:
Bickern quote I am pondering why I more and more seem to be a Brexiteer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camden For This Useful Post:
bickern (16th December 2019)
Old 17th December 2019, 07:56   #20 (permalink)

Thanked 10,336 Times in 4,000 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I for one wish him well. First thing I would like him to do for this country is to get the young women wishing to take up nursing, and we need millions of them, to put them back into the classroom along with stints on the wards but drop the ridiculous fees that they are charged. Most of the fees never get paid anyhow, as nurses usually don't earn enough. Agency nursing is extremely expensive and not good for patients !
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilsjw For This Useful Post:
Harem (20th December 2019), immac (18th December 2019), Jaycey (17th December 2019)

Tags
boris , tories