FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2020, 10:50   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 7,542 Times in 3,274 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Chinese city to ban consumption of cats and dogs

It's not so much pointing a finger of blame as not being able to trust the information from these countries.

Classic example is the Chinese doctor who warned about the coming pandemic, was punished and jailed for doing down the wonderful reputation of the Chinese superstate, then after he was released and died of the virus was made a 'Martyr of the Chinese Republic'.
Where you have a totalitarian regime in control of information it's difficult to give credence to what they say.

As for food standards:

A friend married to a Chinese lady went back to visit her family in 2018. Although living inland the market had fresh seafood and large sea fish.They looked beautiful, but there was no refrigeration.
It turned out they were being kept in tanks of formaldehyde . . . and then sold to the public!
Then they had the babymilk scandal a few years ago where the milk powder was being adulterated with melamine which caused liver and kidney damage to infants.

Is this a state that cares for its people?

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (6th April 2020), howardian (6th April 2020), shash (6th April 2020)
Old 5th April 2020, 10:56   #12 (permalink)

Thanked 24,011 Times in 12,253 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

As I say China certainly has questions to answer

But when it comes to trusting information given out by governments I dont think anyone is naive enough to think any government tells the whole truth

At exceptional times like this where its going to be massive finger pointing on an unprecedented scale around the world goverment blaming government -it would be silly to even consider one government more open/ honest than others.

For administrations across the planet this will be self preservation- we did nothing wrong twas all someone elses fault

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Chasey (6th April 2020), shash (6th April 2020)
Old 5th April 2020, 11:04   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 1,323 Times in 613 Posts
Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilsjw View Post
We are going to make a great effort not to buy anything made in China nor will we be going to Chinese restaurants. They are pure evil in the way the treat animals and some humans too.

Before you hurt yourself up there on that high hoarse, take a quick look back at our cuisine history

Foie Gras?

Veil?

Lobsters? (still dropped live into boiling water)

Factory farmed anything but notably chickens?

And have you ever been to a slaughterhouse? Its not pleasant and that's coming from someone who hunts.

OH and what about our love of dogs in the UK? Dogs spread disease and cause Toxocariasis in children playing in parks exposed to dog waste but we still don't ban dogs??? Why not?

I have spent a lot of time in China over the past 25 years and in the westernised areas their food preparation is similar to our own. Dog is eaten in the same way as we eat rabbit?? They don't have the mental compassion for dogs we have in the west but since the ban on dog ownership (imposed by Mow Zedong during the cultural revolution) was lifted about a decade ago, more and more Chinese have them as pets.

My extended family are based in Guangdong which is still one of the VERY few areas where dog is still consumed. I ate it once on my first trip out. It was fine, just like many other meets. It is highly prised for its flavour but I personally didn't see the appeal.

Buddhism is a big religion in China and they are against the consumption of Dog meet

Yulin is where the Lychee and Dog meet festival is held every year but again only a very small percentage participate and theres a lot of opposition to the festival. As a figure only 20% of people in china eat dog meet

Horizon carried out a poll in China in 2016 and 62% of Chinese polled said they were against the eating of dog and 51% said it should be made illegal

It was banned in Hong Kong in 1954 and in Taiwan in 2001

The consumption of cats was not illegal but I can assure you it was not acceptable in China. The cat meet industry would have been underground and they wouldn't sell it as cat meet rather like the horse meet industry in the west.

Its totally unfair to impose western ideals on a culture far far removed from Weston culture. There are areas of china that are very westernised but others that are still living third world existences. I think its likely there will be banns on many things following the Chronvirus outbreak, but lets not forget our own BSE and Scrapey issues and how we failed to fully implement a ban on those.

As said before, China has only recently lifted the ban on Scrapey infested meet sold from the UK. We on the other hand have been eating it for years,
Chasey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chasey For This Useful Post:
abba (5th April 2020), Akasya (5th April 2020), saoirse (5th April 2020), shash (6th April 2020)
Old 5th April 2020, 11:11   #14 (permalink)

Thanked 24,011 Times in 12,253 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting/ informative post

I have a lot of time for the Chinese people
Visited there and found them extremely friendly and welcoming

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 07:24   #15 (permalink)

Thanked 10,352 Times in 4,009 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not on my "high horse" Chasey, just a simple animal lover. You don't have to be so rude.
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilsjw For This Useful Post:
howardian (6th April 2020)
Old 6th April 2020, 09:51   #16 (permalink)

Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of Chasey has much to be proud of

Quote:
We are going to make a great effort not to buy anything made in China nor will we be going to Chinese restaurants. They are pure evil in the way the treat animals and some humans too.
Quote:
I'm not on my "high horse" Chasey, just a simple animal lover. You don't have to be so rude.
If this isn't an example of high horse when we in the west and many many other countries besides China (and VERY much including the UK) have a poor record of animal welfare, I don't know what is? Id hope it isn't the other possable reason?

The issue of the treatment of humans doesent stand up to scrutiny in the comparison between the West and China. Shall we start with the treatment of Hong Kong by the UK? We are maybe a few decades ahead in "Woke" society than China but I can assure you, they are far less hypocritical.

It was a stereotypical bias observation from someone id bet has little or no real world experience of living in China?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chasey For This Useful Post:
saoirse (6th April 2020)
Old 6th April 2020, 09:56   #17 (permalink)

Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

What does the political disagreement about HK have to do with skinning animals alive and cutting parts off living animals in Chinese market?

With the greatest of respect chasey China is such a controlled society that I doubt if you could find a forum there allowed to offer as many differing opinions as you can read on here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
howardian (6th April 2020)
Old 6th April 2020, 11:07   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
What does the political disagreement about HK have to do with skinning animals alive and cutting parts off living animals in Chinese market?

With the greatest of respect chasey China is such a controlled society that I doubt if you could find a forum there allowed to offer as many differing opinions as you can read on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shash View Post
The Chinese that are in uk for instance many particularly the middle and younger generation are here because they left their homes in China for our way of life. I would still continue to eat Chinese food just not in China and several other places.
It's so difficult not to have something that was made in China but I make a good effort.
OK I am bored and stuck at home, So for future reference:

I can assure you the Chinese did not leave China for "Our way of life"

The Chinese consider us to be lazy, unclean, uneducated and uncouth

They call us gwailou which is White Ghost which doesent sound too bad until you analyse it and Ghost is a fairly big insult. Black people for example are called gwaniou and the Japanese are referred to as gwai

Basically its the Chinese version of the N word

The Chinese do not aspire to be us, they have little but contempt for us and our undisciplined way of life.

When I married my Mainland Chinese wife, her family threatened to have me killed. When we had Children her farther said hed burn our house down and that my wife was a trator to China.

A bit like if someone's white daughter had married a black man in the 50s except this was 1995

Part of this is due to the Chinese feeling generally superior to all other races. Something which they base on their history and scientific, architectural political and mathematical achievements whilst we were all still in mud huts, and partially due to our appalling treatment of China in recent history.

In the 1800s the UK sailed to the region we now call Hong Kong with a view to do trade with China. Sadly we had not much the Chinese were interested in but they had a LOT we wanted.

We overcame this problem by becoming drug dealers

We sold Opium into China and basically started an epidemic of drug addicts in southern China and beyond

The then Emperor of China wanted to stop the drug trade which was still totally illegal at that time. The UK offered to legalise the drugs and pay taxes but the Emperor didn't want his people to be drug addicts so he sent his envoy Lin Zexu to seaze the opium and stop the drug trade

Queen Victoria sent in the British navy and wiped out the opposition

This was the first Opium War

It also formed the phrase "Gunboat Diplomacy"

This resulted in the Treaty of Nanking where Hong Kong was put under British Control

The second opium war about 10 years later in 1856 involved French and British forces and again we won and were able to force China to continue to accept our drugs trade.

We added the Kowloon Peninsular to Hong Kong again as reparations for the Chinese daring to try and stop the drug trade.

SO now CHina had given up Hing Kong and the Kowloon Peninsular to British rule for 156 years and they also had to pay the sum of 8 million oz of silver (which is approximately 96,000,000 today.

In 1997 Hongkong was handed back to China.

At this point in time 99.9% of Chinese living in the UK were from the British Territory. These were not migrants in the usual sense but in fact members of the British Commonwealth traveling to live and work in another British Commonwealth country. China had undergone a revalution or two and getting out of China was about as easy as getting out of Russia at that time. QED we had a tiny tiny minority of Chinese immigrants from Mainland China

My uncle Peter was working in a high ranking position in the British Consulate during that period

My now wife had escaped from Mainland China following Tieniment Square, and been working for Standard Charter Bank in Hong Kong. However she was in the UK to do her Masters Degree and a MBA. We met whilst she was studying in London, fell in love and planned to marry.

We spoke to the British Government about my wife staying in the UK and we were told we would need to travel back to China and apply to re enter the UK on marital grounds. All seemed easy enough.

BUT I spoke to my uncle about it and he said under no circumstances to do this

The British Government planned to f##K over all the Chinese in Hong Kong and NOT allow them to leave China and come to the UK prior to the hand over.

Remember many many anti communist activists and businessmen had fled to Hing Kong to escape the Chinese Communist party. Some of them were very outspoken against the Communist regime and were rightly terrified of a Chinese take over of Hing Kong.

The official UK line on this was, we don't care

So my wife and I ended up breaking UK rules and having to spend five years in limbo unable to travel whilst we tried to sort out her citizenship. We had our honeymoon in Centre Parks because we weren't able to leave the UK in 1996. Or rather we were, but she wouldn't be allowed back in.

We sadly knew several friends who had believed the UK government and gone back to China to re enter on Marital grounds who were rejected. Some divorced as they couldn't cope with the separation, some were separated for years but endured.

Strangely, the Hong Kong hand over triggered the end of the Chinese Communist experiment and the beginning of extreme capitalism. Sadly with a form of dictatorship loosely disguised as an elected government and even more loosely disguised as a Communist Government.

End result, the Chinese economic explosion we now see.

Travel bans were necessarily lifted in China for the main purpose of Trade. However after time it became unnecessary to put heavy restrictions on travel. It still takes quite a while to sort out a general travel visa for solo or family travel (Chinese tour holidays are supervised so under different stipulations) but it is no longer impossible.

So are we seeing a big influx of Chinese immigrants seeking the "British Way of life???"

Errrrr no

What we are seeing is many wealthy Chinese spending an absolute fortune sending their kids overseas for education and in many cases trying to get their kids established in the UK USA Canada etc etc.

They are doing this because they don't trust the Chinese government to continue to allow them their wealth and freedom if the Chinese Economy tanks. They are terrified that the government will simply repatriate all their wealth.

As a result they are buying property all over the world and setting up family bases all over the world as escape routs.

Chinese living off the welfare state is rare and they will most likely be Hongkong Chinese. Mainland Chinese on welfare will most likely be limited to asylum seekers

It is hubris to think they want out way of life??? In fact the large Chinese community I have as friends associates and business partners in the UK all long for China the country, if not all of them long for a return to a "Communist" regime or what ever the hell you could describe China's government as.

And as I hope you can see from our history with China, they don't respect us and they don't actualy like us very much.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chasey For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th April 2020), Kanga (6th April 2020), shash (6th April 2020), Treisy (6th April 2020)
Old 6th April 2020, 12:03   #19 (permalink)

They are doing this because they don't trust the Chinese government to continue to allow them their wealth and freedom if the Chinese Economy tanks. They are terrified that the government will simply repatriate all their wealth.your quote.

As I said before, it comes down to trust, and even though it's perceived we have an 'undisciplined way of life' it's only seen as undisciplined because the Chines government cannot accept that people do NOT want to be controlled.
British people certainly dont, and wont.
This country is run by consent, and the opportunity to dissent.

Last edited by Kanga; 6th April 2020 at 14:13..

Tags
ban , cats , chinese , city , consumption , dogs