FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > News & Views

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2020, 11:01   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 16,031 Times in 6,263 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Every adult is now an organ donor - UK

The new legislation is known as 'Max and Keira's law' after the death of nine-year-old Keira Ball saved the life of Max Johnson, also nine, and three other people.

Patients awaiting transplants have hailed a 'game-changing' new law which from today means that every adult is automatically considered an organ donor.

Under the legislation everyone in England will be deemed to have given consent for their organs to be donated when they die Ė unless they specifically opt out or are in an excluded group.

It is believed this method will lead to an additional 700 transplants each year by 2023.

The new legislation is known as 'Max and Keira's law' after the death of nine-year-old Keira Ball saved the life of Max Johnson, also nine, and three other people.

On a few different sites, above from DM
----------------------------------------------------

I think this is a great idea because I never had a problem with what happens to me or my organs after I die, I hardly need them. The problem is I never got round to getting a donor card.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
McB (21st May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 11:03   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 11,658 Times in 5,552 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Every adult is now an organ donor - UK

Choice is what it should be about. Not another stealth- law introduced to come in several years later to avoid a fuss at the time. Slimy tactics again. I also carried an organ doner card when I road motorbikes in the UK but would be tempted to opt out on principal here.

Last edited by IbrahimAbi; 20th May 2020 at 11:05..
IbrahimAbi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IbrahimAbi For This Useful Post:
McB (21st May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 11:10   #3 (permalink)

bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

You selfish bu99er AI. LOL!

No, I support it because most folk are like me, lazy; those that do not want to donate can opt out, so there you go...

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
howardian (20th May 2020), IbrahimAbi (20th May 2020), Kalkanite (20th May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 11:13   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 7,542 Times in 3,274 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

It's been law here in Wales for some years now. I have always carried a card anyway. I'd rather live on giving another family some happiness.

@ IA: Why is it a 'slimy tactic' to help save another's health and life and give a family some happiness? Explain please, specially the 'slimy' bit.
What if you were refused a transplant because you aren't on the donor list? I'd be in support of that.

@bickern, you can automatically do a card online when you tax your vehicle on the DVLA website.

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
howardian (20th May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 11:17   #5 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 11,658 Times in 5,552 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Slimy because they pass the law, but not to take effect for a while, to reduce the pressure on the. In just the same way that increasing stamp duty on second properties etc. If you pass a law then bring it in now and face the flack.
Old 20th May 2020, 11:22   #6 (permalink)

he new law comes into force from today, although health minister Lord Bethell has admitted the system could be delayed due to the coronavirus crisis. He told the House of Lords on Monday: 'The legislation will come into effect on May 20. However, we acknowledge that this may not come into practice straight away due to the limitations of Covid.'

During the coronavirus pandemic, many transplants have not been performed due to patient safety concerns.

Figures from NHS Blood and Transplant show just 99 transplant operations took place in April, compared with 244 in March.

Douglas Craft, 73, who has been on the waiting list for a kidney for two years, said the timing of the law change coinciding with the pandemic has been unfortunate.

He said: 'It's the best policy really, but it's such a waste of organs, that's the only trouble. If it was a safer environment it would be fine.'

Mr Craft, a retired butcher from Chichester, had a kidney transplant in 2000 which lasted 18 years. He is hopeful another match might come up when transplants in his area are able to resume.

Welcoming the law, he said: 'I'm hoping it's going to be a change for the better, giving more transplants for everybody.'

He added that he looked forward to a time when donating organs is 'taken for granted' and it is 'just a part of living and dying'.

Steve Burton, 58, who is also waiting for a transplant, has been self-isolating with his wife since early March in Blackpool, Lancashire.

He said while he has been 'terrified' of contracting Covid-19, the legislation has boosted his morale.

He added: 'It's a game-changer now because obviously I'm looking for the gift of life from somebody, and the fact that a lot more people now are in that window for me to receive that gift, it's only a good thing for me.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-opt-out.html

Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
howardian (20th May 2020), Tenpin (20th May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 11:26   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 7,542 Times in 3,274 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
Slimy because they pass the law, but not to take effect for a while, to reduce the pressure on the. In just the same way that increasing stamp duty on second properties etc. If you pass a law then bring it in now and face the flack.
That's not 'slimy'! It's the same with all life affecting law changes; you are given time to make an adjustment, in this case if you feel strongly enough about it you can register to opt out, but dont criticise the opportunity for others to get their health back.
Classic example is limiting child allowance to the first 2, if you brought that in immediately you would penalise families with 3 or more kids already, so it was brought in for 10 months later.
Don't you think that's reasonable?
Same with tax on 2nd properties, you had the option to make changes before it came in, which is only fair. The meanest thing about taxation on properties is the loss of indexation taper relief some years ago, which has increased the capital gains massively.

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
howardian (20th May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 11:30   #8 (permalink)
Kalkanite

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,310 Posts
Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute

I really canít see a problem. Once youíre dead, youíre dead. You donít need your body anymore but other people might need bits of it!
Kalkanite is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalkanite For This Useful Post:
akbukowl (20th May 2020), bickern (20th May 2020), howardian (20th May 2020), Kanga (20th May 2020)
Old 20th May 2020, 12:05   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 9,100 Times in 3,407 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkanite View Post
I really canít see a problem. Once youíre dead, youíre dead. You donít need your body anymore but other people might need bits of it!
As long as they wait until you are dead before they start harvesting.

Ian
enoch (20th May 2020), Hilsjw (21st May 2020), howardian (20th May 2020), tintagel (20th May 2020)
Old 21st May 2020, 07:32   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 10,352 Times in 4,009 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

Is it either Scotland or Ireland that will not participate in this ? If so, why ? Just interested. I do sometimes hear of life support machines being turned off too soon in order to use the organs !
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
adult , donor , organ