harrygermany

North Cyprus / Girne for holidays
Hi folks,

I'm from Germany, and I plan to go to North Cyprus for holidays.

On 19. March I shall arrive in Larnaca by plane, and get a pickup from the airport straight to Girne.

There my first problem will be to find a place where to stay during the first week or so. Should be in the old center of Girne, just a one- or two-star hotel, a pansiyon or any room with an attached bathroom. Charge not over 25 YTL (15 EUR).
Does anyone of you have an advice?

Then I will make up my tour. As I have 3 weeks all together I will have time to explore some more places beside Girne.
What are the "must have seens" in the North?

I'm not looking for beaches or high-standard-hotels or resorts.
I would prefer to get an idea of how nature is in the north, and how people live in this area.
Can you suggest just some nice places? Not too many spots that time, I will come back to visit the rest.
I might rent a car for a week or two, or go by public busses. So transportation will not be a problem.

Any help that you can provide me will make my holidays more pleasant.

Thanks a lot in advance

Harry

Hello Harry
I used to live in Northern Cyprus so I know the place very well.
You may find it difficult to find a room for 15 euros.I would stay in the centre of town -there is a cheap hotel called the Kaan Hotel but I don't know the room rates.
You MUST visit the Karpas-it is beautiful and at that time it will be covered in wild flowers of every colour. I would recommend that you stay there-stay at the Blue Sea Hotel just outside of Dipkarpaz-the people are lovely and it is very cheap.
Lefkosa is very interesting. You must visit the castles of Buffavento, St Hilarion and Kantara.
An interesting drive is up the coast to Sadrazamkoy and then on to Korucam-it is a Maronite Christian village.
I am going to Kyrenia on the 12th March-I may bump in to you. Enjoy your holiday
Ann

Shebby

Hi Harry,

Beautiful place to travel around. Karpaz is wonderful not only for its nature, also the old monestry (manastir) with the church is amazing. Where it is located is really fantastic. There are some wooden bungalow camps at the beach on the way to Dipkarpaz, maybe they are open at that time of the year. Another exciting trip is to walk from the north to the south from Lefkose. Only the walk is a nice strange feeling at the same time...

Wish you a wonderful holiday
Shebby

harrygermany

Hi Ann and Shebby,

thanks a lot so far.

One thing is clear to me now: the Karpaz will be my favourite destination, where I will stay for a while after Girne.

Hear from each other

Harry

harrygermany

Hello everyone,

have found a hotel in Girne.
Not exactly the range I was looking for, but prices rose obviously during the last few years: Harbour Scene Hotel*, 40 YTL on B&B basis.

Thanks to everyone who supported me.

Harry

hi harry..wie geht es dir?
i often go to Girne from alanya..takes about three hours..and i always stay in the yellow lion..its right on the town harbour...last year it was 30 tl...so i suppose it must have gone up this year too..but its a nice little place...only about 8 or 10 rooms..and the restaurant outside has nice food. ive never been to Karpaz..i must try it this year if i get the chance.

harrygermany

Hello Shirleyann,

thanks for your suggestion with the Yellow Lion.
I tried the Yellow Lion myself by phone, but there was no-one who spoke English, and I unfortunately do not speak any Turkish.
I shall give it a visit when I am there.

About the Karpaz and about all my experiences with Northern Cyprus I shall let the community have part after I returned.

Regards

Harry

Latest Posts

Top Bottom