FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Meeting Place > Pebble Jackson Project

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2009, 14:53   #1 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future
Ways of keeping Pebbles Dream Alive

I really worry that someone won't try to keep Pebbles dream alive and helping the women and little girls in Turkey become empowered. Because of my two new ventures I will never have any time to put into it. I can help in anouther way though. If you can help me I can help you and Pebbles dream.

My first new venture is that I am a Franchise Consultant for an American company called Frannet. We assist people in choosing the best safest franchise that fits them and their desires. We have a few different master franchises available for almost any part of the UK and also Europe, even Turkey. This service is free from me as I get paid from the Franchisor, much like a realestate agent would. If any one, no limit, gives me a lead that of a person seriously considering getting into franchising and I am able to assist them into a franchise I will give you $1,500.00 Dollars.....PLUS I will donate $1,000.00 towards Pebbles cause.

My second new venture is in NHRA Top Fuel Drag Racing. I am the member of a team and responsible for sponsorship acquisition. This is a team with very good potential to take a championship. I need a major sponsor. The TV coverage in America reaches to 97 million homes plus it get to 130 other countries. It's HUGE!!!! If anyone knows a company that may be interested in sponsorship and can give me the contact information to the proper person in charge of help me I will give $10,000.00 to you plus donate $5,000.00 to pebbles cause. I think this is an excellent way to raise some serious money for her cause. What do you all think?

Bob

A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Last edited by SuperBogs; 16th September 2009 at 16:17..
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperBogs For This Useful Post:
alison09400 (17th September 2009), carolk (16th September 2009), culturevulture (12th April 2010), maggie (17th September 2009), suzyq (16th September 2009), Terry the Celt (16th September 2009), Turley (17th September 2009)
Old 16th September 2009, 18:51   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ways of keeping Pebbles Dream Alive

I think your offer is very generous Bob but I don't have the right kind of contacts. If I did the whole lot could go to support Pebbles cause. I 'spoke' with Pebble quite a bit in the weeks before her death and often it was about her cause. She was asking me if anyone on TLF was taking it up and I had to bite my tongue in case I said maybe someone will after you have gone. I know from reading between the lines that was what she was hoping for. I felt I had to do something to lift her spirits so I told her about a school I had visited earlier in the year. It wasn't in the east, it was near Dalaman in the hills. The teachers there are dedicated people doing their best for lovely children who are bussed in from villages. A sweet little girl sticks in my mind, she smiled at me and wanted to say hello in English. She looked about 7 and was bright eyed and beautiful but her hair was thick with lice and she looked uncared for. I just wanted to scoop her up and take her home. I asked her teacher about her and she was one of 9 and her mother is exhausted and can't cope. There were others in a similar position. So Pebble and I cooked up some ideas of what I could take for them from both of us, she wanted to send me stuff to take but of course that wasn't practical. So I did it and was able to tell her it was done. It wasn't much but it was something, a few school supplies and some clothes from the special offers in Tesco. The teacher involved was Aysel - I'm sure she won't mind me saying. She said it would be possible to hand out these things quietly without causing offence. I have asked Aysel what else would help and she said school bags. So this is my next mission. I have the contacts in UK as I already visit many primary schools and also present Turkish days in schools here. So I am going to make a plea for used school bags in good condition and I will take them out next year. If I have too many I will ask one of the airlines if they will carry them free. I know why Aysel said bags. I used to have the same problem in deprived areas in UK, kids coming unprepared with no bags and so no books etc. If they are unprepared they are not in the right state to learn.
I know Pebble envisaged something huge and I don't think I can take anything like that on. I don't have the contacts, the time or the knowledge. Unfortunately Pebble worded her appeal in a way that deeply offended Aysel. She wanted this to be a contribution from foreigners with no Turkish involvement. I spoke to Pebble about this and explained that I couldn't do anything without Turkish involvement and I spoke to Aysel and explained that Pebble didn't mean to cause offence and I don't think Aysel realised how sick she was and maybe not able to think straight. I hope I have been able to bridge that gap.
Now if someone here can do anything better and more in line with what Pebble really wanted that will be great and I am always willing to do a few silly bear pictures to help boost funds or try to get some involvement from the schools I work in. If not maybe we could do something small and ask Aysel or somebody like her for advice.
I spoke to Aysel last week and she was very sad about the death of her dog and it wasn't an appropriate time to discuss this with her. I hope she is reading this and will let us know what she thinks. I think she has contacts with the east and may have some ideas. Aysel is a person I would trust completely. She is one of the most compassionate and honest people I have ever met. She has contact with families in need of help and as I said I think she has contacts in the east.
If nothing comes of this I shall just plod on collecting the school bags! If anyone is going near Koycegiz and fancies dropping any off I think Aysel would be very pleased with them.
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to kaplumba For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th September 2009), alison09400 (17th September 2009), carolk (17th September 2009), ChrisBobs (16th September 2009), Dellol (17th September 2009), Gail (17th September 2009), geordie_nev (16th September 2009), Gin&Tonic (17th September 2009), GnD (17th September 2009), maggie (17th September 2009), matty (16th September 2009), may (17th September 2009), Miss Money Penny (17th September 2009), nanamo (17th September 2009), Peter J (16th September 2009), sandpearse (17th September 2009), sparrow (17th September 2009), Sunny Seasider (16th September 2009), SuperBogs (16th September 2009), suzyq (16th September 2009), ted j (17th September 2009), tinkycarol (25th September 2009), Turley (17th September 2009)
Old 16th September 2009, 19:53   #3 (permalink)

matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jane,

What a great idea! I live very close to Dalaman airport, and would be willing to collect any bags donated by any members landing at Dalaman airport!..I would then pass then on to Aysel.

Regards Ann
matty is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matty For This Useful Post:
kaplumba (16th September 2009)
Old 16th September 2009, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future

Jane,
What Pebble meant by no Turkish involvement was that she actually wanted items like you mentioned getting to the children, not in the pockets of some less desirables.

Bob

A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 22:38   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 1,033 Times in 683 Posts
ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBogs View Post
Jane,
What Pebble meant by no Turkish involvement was that she actually wanted items like you mentioned getting to the children, not in the pockets of some less desirables.

Bob
It was a bit unfortunate and open to misinterpretation , tho she then went on later to say that it would have to be under the umbrella of an association here. ( that is right too)

Pebble sent a parcel to Bodrum with her daughter in August to kick things off, and some people are interested in it- 'once the seaon is over', but there area alot of great ideas and experience out there on TLF, I hope it all can kick in.

Jane and Aysel - thats a great thing to be done .

cheers
Chris
ChrisBobs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 07:24   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,878 Times in 771 Posts
maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute

A good idea mentioned by another member was to start a shoe box scheme Like Love in a Box that is running in the U.K. I believe Pebble wanted to start something like this.

It involves filling a shoe box full of items that would suit various ages of children and then them being distributed to less fortunate children in orphanges etc.I have friends who do this for a orphanage in Bulgaria.

I dont know if anyone would be interested in doing something like this.?

A collection point could be arranged in each town and then when we find a suitable needy place maybe we could enlist the help of somebody who could deliver these boxes.

Just a thought needs more research .

hugs Maggie xxx
GnD (17th September 2009), Miss Money Penny (17th September 2009), nanamo (17th September 2009), Sunny Seasider (17th September 2009), suzyq (17th September 2009), tinkycarol (25th September 2009), zozatky (17th September 2009)
Old 17th September 2009, 07:37   #7 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,027 Posts
KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute

There's an interesting piece in the Hurriyet about an organisation in Turkey called the Nesin Foundation.

Children's house looks for helping hand after flood - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
Old 17th September 2009, 07:46   #8 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Clarecg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie View Post
A good idea mentioned by another member was to start a shoe box scheme Like Love in a Box that is running in the U.K. I believe Pebble wanted to start something like this.

It involves filling a shoe box full of items that would suit various ages of children and then them being distributed to less fortunate children in orphanges etc.I have friends who do this for a orphanage in Bulgaria.

I dont know if anyone would be interested in doing something like this.?

A collection point could be arranged in each town and then when we find a suitable needy place maybe we could enlist the help of somebody who could deliver these boxes.

Just a thought needs more research .

hugs Maggie xxx

This was done several years ago in the UK but packed in bags and then 5 bags to an A4 paper box. I was involved with the Girl Guides at the time and all over the country the Guide movement collected the goodies. The Body Shop then co-ordinated the storage and shipping of these to orphanages in Eastern Europe. If I remember correctly each bag had a t shirt, pencils, crayons, a book of blank paper, soap, socks and a small toy.

Recently my son has through his school been involved in supporting a school in South Africa. Throughout the year they collect everything from clothes to toys, sports equipment, pens, pencils, office furniture (lots at the moment with the current recession). The Rotary Club then arrange the container and shipping to the SA school. They then visit the school again each of them taking lightweight goodies in their luggage. Last year Aston Villa donated enough football kits for the whole school. The previous year Birmingham City did so this was to redress the balance a little

I know these aren't directly related but I have been involved in both projects (and other similar ones) from their infancy. It's amazing that once you contact the organisations/businesses with some conscience (with a persuasive letter) the offers that materialise. If needed i can give some pointers to possible sponsers in the UK.
I have also worked in the freight forwarding and export industry so have a little insight into this as well. This is why shoe boxes etc make such good containers as everything needs to be on a pallet to certain dimensions to get the cheapest deal.

Let me know if and how I can help
Clarecg is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clarecg For This Useful Post:
GnD (17th September 2009), maggie (17th September 2009), Miss Money Penny (17th September 2009), Pete&Mag (18th September 2009), Sunny Seasider (17th September 2009), suzyq (17th September 2009), tinkycarol (25th September 2009)
Old 17th September 2009, 08:33   #9 (permalink)

Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold

Maggie I am really up for doing this shoe box appeal and I think it could be coordinated fairly easy, I could coordinate in Bodrum really by networking and advertising in the local papers using popular drop off points where I can collect and store until we have a load to send to the East. If we can get coordinators in other areas it would be fantastic and would soon take off. I have a friend here who said he will try and get the boxes sent to East Turkey free and I also have a contact in a school in East Turkey (school teacher) who has offered his help. I asked him if he thought it would be appropriate for us foreigners to do this and he said the boxes would be really appreciated as some of the kids he teaches don't even have a pencil.

Any other ideas?
Gail is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gail For This Useful Post:
alison09400 (17th September 2009), Ceni (9th January 2010), maggie (17th September 2009), Maura (4th October 2009), Miss Money Penny (17th September 2009), Peter J (17th September 2009), Sunny Seasider (17th September 2009), SuperBogs (17th September 2009), suzyq (17th September 2009), tinkycarol (25th September 2009)
Old 17th September 2009, 08:43   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute

We've done the shoe boxes several times including one for children in Bulgaria and even one for soldiers. I'd be willing to collect any boxes that are filled in my area although I have limited storage I could put them in my spare room for a while. My kids and grandchildren would be more than willing to fill a box so theres 4 there and thats without asking their friends. And I would also be willing to donate a new school bag from each of our kids. I did hear once that warm clothing was needed too, boots and coats, I could also help with that if thats the case, we still have last years coats that are perfect but just out grown. I will help in any way I can. Molly
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nanamo For This Useful Post:
Gail (17th September 2009), maggie (17th September 2009), suzyq (17th September 2009)

Tags
alive , dream , keeping , pebbles , ways