Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 1st January 2010, 17:37   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute
Progress

Serdar (TurkishTurkish) has very kindly said he would like the proceeds from the box he generously donated to be used to buy books for a primary school. Over the last few days we have been busy pming each other and he has been educating me on the Turkish education system. I was unaware of the existence of boarding schools in the remote areas. It seems (as in UK) many small village schools have been closed and so they open a regional boarding school and children as young as 6 are sent there. It is often too far for them to return home at weekends. I am starting to understand why some parents decide not to send their children to school. Anyway the dormitories are sometimes a km or so from the school and although the schools might have libraries, the children may not have books to read in their spare time. I have asked Serdar to find me a school which might welcome a box of books for leisure reading.
This has sent my mind spinning and I'm wondering if we can go a step further. I have asked Serdar if he thinks a box of books plus a box of toys might be acceptable or needed. It must be traumatic to be sent away to school when they are only 6 or 7. If Maggie goes ahead with her shoe boxes she might be interested in this. Children don't learn if their minds are full of worries or if they are unhappy. I shall ask Nev and Terry to put all this on PJP website. If it's ok with Serdar I'll publish the pm he sent me explaining it all.

As I have said before I will be fund raising until July for the books. If anyone would like to donate 5 or 10 pounds for a Turkish book their name can be written in it. If any company or group would like to sponsor a box of books for 300 pounds we will put a sticker inside with details of the company. I will buy the books in July/August and get them sent to the school by September.
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kaplumba For This Useful Post:
CJD (5th January 2010), GnD (1st January 2010), shirleyanntr (1st January 2010), Terry the Celt (2nd January 2010)
Old 1st January 2010, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,471 Posts
arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Progress

oh, kaplumba, not sure what i can do to help here in uk, def. a donation though. i have 3 great grandchildren, 2 at nursery, 1 at school, so would be prepared to help. more info please. Arrian xx
arrian is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 18:08   #3 (permalink)

kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Arrian. First of all there is no rush. I just wanted to keep any folk who are interested up to speed. I need Serdar to find one of these schools who would really appreciate this kind of help. If children in these schools have all they need there is no point but from what Serdar told me there is a need for things in their leisure time. I remember clearly my first day at school and if at the end of it I was told I was going to live there and not see my family for weeks I would have crumbled I'm sure. Children who have this kind of stress will have no room in their minds for learning. Perhaps a few nice things to occupy their leisure time will help. I know I can raise some money for books if Serdar thinks some toys would be appropriate I know I have quite a few in good condition in the loft and I'm sure others will too.
As soon as I know the school we will help and what they would find acceptable I will post. I have a plan for the books and it is all straightforward. I'll be buying them in Turkey. If we are to include a box of toys I'll need to give this more thought, the logisitics are tricky. From what I have seen of Turkish toys they seem a bit flimsy and anyway many people might have second hand ones in good condition. If I can get easy jet to give me more luggage allowance in August I could take them out and send them to the school from Datca.

Last edited by kaplumba; 1st January 2010 at 18:52..
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaplumba For This Useful Post:
bebs (1st January 2010), GnD (1st January 2010), Sunny Seasider (1st January 2010)
Old 1st January 2010, 19:15   #4 (permalink)
evelynne

Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,103 Posts
EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute

this is a good idea , but im confused. Is this part of the Pebble Jackson Project , or is this something seperate. I only ask because I have given a donation via TLf to PJP and have been wondering what it is going to be used for. If its being used to purchase books and toys for these children that is a most worthwhile project.

I wonder if somehow we could get a football team to donate footballs.

I may be able to get a turkish haulier to take goods to turkey from uk if needed
EVELYNNE is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 19:24   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 5,330 Times in 2,143 Posts
Terry the Celt has disabled reputation

I agree Eve that this thread is best under the PJP thread as it will get confusing!!
Perhaps Jane can get it moved so its all under one wing
Terry the Celt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 19:29   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

Jane..what a great idea. Do you remember when a girls boarding school in Konya collapsed
and 17 girls died..the building was unsafe and a gas explosion ripped through the school. Kids who attend these schools are already usually disadvantaged so this is a wonderful idea.
As Evelynne says with a bit of brainstorming maybe there could be a combination of Pebbles ideas and now yours and Serdars.
Old 1st January 2010, 19:30   #7 (permalink)

Yes Evelynne it is part of PJP. During her last weeks I spoke at length with Pebble about it and promised her I would do something. So this is to fulfill that promise. Once the web site goes live you will be able to read about it. I want to raise at least 1000 lira myself for books and these books will have a sticker inside to celebrate the memory of Pebble. Any extra donations like Serdars auction will be very gratefully received. I'm not sure about the TLF donation system but I hope if anyone wants to donate money for a book they can let Mushtaq or someone know. If you also pm me I can make sure your name is in one of the books when I buy them and I can also let you know what your book is called.
I am preparing a short DVD about the books for schools and if anyone would like to borrow it to show at a coffee morning or other gathering you can contact me.
It has taken me a while to find Serdar who will help me find a suitable school. He is a perfect solution as he speaks very good English, is a teacher, is able to educate me and is keen to help.

My reasons for doing this:
I promised Pebble and Pebble was so like one of my oldest friends who also died of cancer. So in my mind I am doing it for both of them.
I am so interested in education worldwide.
I want to pass on my knowledge of Turkey to UK kids - they will be helping me to raise the money.
I have spent all of my working life trying to pass on my love of books to UK kids now I'd like to do it for a few Turkish kids.

Last edited by kaplumba; 1st January 2010 at 19:40..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kaplumba For This Useful Post:
bebs (1st January 2010), CJD (5th January 2010), Dalaman Deli (1st January 2010), doreen moss (2nd January 2010), EVELYNNE (1st January 2010), GnD (1st January 2010), nanamo (7th January 2010), pineapple1 (1st January 2010), shirleyanntr (2nd January 2010), Sunny Seasider (1st January 2010), Terry the Celt (1st January 2010)
Old 1st January 2010, 19:39   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 5,330 Times in 2,143 Posts
Terry the Celt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyanntr View Post
Jane..what a great idea. Do you remember when a girls boarding school in Konya collapsed
and 17 girls died..the building was unsafe and a gas explosion ripped through the school. Kids who attend these schools are already usually disadvantaged so this is a wonderful idea.
As Evelynne says with a bit of brainstorming maybe there could be a combination of Pebbles ideas and now yours and Serdars.

I totally agree that its a brilliant idea but all these ideas must be under the PJP section otherwise it will confuse people. One section with all updates is the best way so people know its part of Pebbles project on here.
We have a full website with a link shortly and all these ideas will come together on her thread and people will know where to look.
A thread entitled "Progress" might get missed but as part of her thread its a central point.
It is a great idea and Jane and I have been discussing it for some time.
Her idea is actually set out on the new site which is even more reason for keeping it all together and thats what I have been trying hard to do.
I promise from an administration point of view I know what I am talking about
Also Pebbles family side has put most into the fund and Facebook is involved with the publicity so we must keep a central point for them and not go off on a tangent.
Just being constructive and Jane knows how passionate I am re Pebble.

Last edited by Terry the Celt; 1st January 2010 at 20:10..
Terry the Celt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Terry the Celt For This Useful Post:
bebs (1st January 2010), EVELYNNE (1st January 2010), shirleyanntr (2nd January 2010), Sunny Seasider (1st January 2010)
Old 1st January 2010, 20:15   #9 (permalink)

Ooooh heck - sorry to have put it in the wrong place. Perhaps a mod can sort it for me. I thought putting it under TLF fund was the right kind of place.

Following a conversation with Serdar I think it is important to recognise the Turkish government does provide well for it's schools. Anything we do is really very tiny but well intentioned. Serdar has said he will search for a school who can make best use of this gift and it could be a boarding school or a small village school. There is no need to rush into this. I don't expect to raise the money for this until at least June. When I have done my bit I will post again and anyone who wishes to add to it can. Eve asked me if there was anything her local school could do. I'm afraid it is too far for me to visit but I will produce a DVD for any school or group to borrow.
Old 1st January 2010, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
I Love Kleopatra Beach !

Thanked 5,520 Times in 2,435 Posts
pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute pineapple1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jane ...How about jigsaws ? I have some in my shed and thier very cheap in the charity shops too . Most people can take 2/3 of them in thier case and someone in Dalaman could collect them ,there fun for kids and keep them amused for hours .......Diane
shirleyanntr (2nd January 2010), Terry the Celt (2nd January 2010)

Tags
pjp , progress