Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th September 2007, 14:31   #1 (permalink)

Montemaranne is a jewel in the rough Montemaranne is a jewel in the rough Montemaranne is a jewel in the rough
Tesco internet phone calls Turkey / UK

Hi everybody,

On the thread with a sticky about cheap phone calls, Sandpearse said she uses a Tesco Internet phone. I've checked this out on the internet, but cannot figure out how it works in Turkey (sounds stupid I know, sorry).

Just as background info - my 88-year-old mum in the UK calls me several times a day since she is getting rather forgetful. She is with talk-talk, so the calls are not too expensive to Germany. But Turkey - and especially a Turkish mobile - is a different kettle of fish. We still haven't got a Turkish landline but aim to set this is motion when we are there in September/October. However, I have no idea how long it will take.

So I wondered, would a Tesco internet phone be a viable alternative for me.

As I understand it, if I buy a Tesco internet phone, I can pick any UK number I want when I register it. Naturally enough I would use the area code my mum lives in. OK, then I take it to Turkey. Now what happens when she tries to call from her talk-talk phone to my Tesco internet phone in Turkey, or when I try to call her from Turkey? I have the same UK area code as she does, so is it a local call? Or is it now classified as an international call by Tesco since they have introduced international add-ons?

I just can't figure it out and would be very grateful for any comments from Tesco internet phone users or for any other tips on how to stay in touch with her at a reasonable cost. Thanks
Montemaranne is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th September 2007, 15:15   #2 (permalink)

thurstan has a spectacular aura about thurstan has a spectacular aura about thurstan has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tesco internet phone calls Turkey / UK

essentially you use the computer to make phone calls. You really need a fast broadband connection

I use Skype which is free (via a micriphone and a pair of headphones)

You can buy a handset with a usb connection (this is what Tesco sell for around £15)

With this you can call any other Skype user for free. If you pay then you can call landline numbers as well

look it up on www.skype.com

there are other providers, I just dont have the details to hand

Thurstan
Old 5th September 2007, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
KLS

KLS is on a distinguished road

Also with Skype you can rent a Uk phone number from them (last check 20quid for 1 year rental). So the other end calls you from their landline, on say a London number (though they have several area codes you can choose from), gets charged what they would normally for a London call, but it comes through on your pc.
KLS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 08:22   #4 (permalink)

Montemaranne is a jewel in the rough Montemaranne is a jewel in the rough Montemaranne is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, I've just had a look at this and will check it out further. Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Montemaranne is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 10:55   #5 (permalink)
Frustrated Bolton Fan

spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice

We use a Tesco internet phone when we call Turkey. It costs 2p a minute to phone a turkish landline but I'm not sure how much to phone a Turkish mobile. If you phone any other Tesco internet phone anywhere in the world it is free
To install is really easy too, just plug the USB lead into the computer and run the software. You select your country and region and then you can choose from a small selection of phone numbers to use with your area code.
If you take another over to Germany you can install it just the same and use it from that location as long as you have broadband. You have a choice of calling tariffs that you can look at HERE
Old 6th September 2007, 14:26   #6 (permalink)

lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light

I have a TESCO phone here in Gundogan hooked up to my computer. Dad has one attached to his computer in UK. My daughter has one attached to her computer too in UK.
It all works very well for us. Have a daily chat to mum and dad........and one with teenage daughter when ever she can manage to roll out of bed and make the effort !
All for cost of buying the TESCO phones(£15 each early this year).
Lynne
Old 6th September 2007, 16:20   #7 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Tesco internet phone calls Turkey / UK

i make calls to turkey landlines through the computer using 12 voip calls to turkish l/lines are free. to turk mobiles 15 p a min . i used to use voip cheap 3 p a min but the new 12voip is free,i use a cheap voip mike £5. and recieve the sound through the pc speakers [ saves holding phone to ears and getting arm ache. go to google punch in 12voip and download free. also send tex msgs through their tex svs comea out at 1 cent a tex.
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 21:48   #8 (permalink)

Mr Turkey will become famous soon enough Mr Turkey will become famous soon enough

Big skype fan here

Why pay even little amounts when you can use it for free ? I skype Turkey on a regular basis all buckshee.........

Just love being a cheapskate me !!!!

MR TURKEY
Mr Turkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 22:59   #9 (permalink)
Dave

Gazgaskell has a spectacular aura about Gazgaskell has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I run my business in UK via Internet, Skype & intranet on Pipex from Turgutreis, it's just like being in the office in UK-okay, broadband a touch slower, & there are occassional power cuts. Manyana! this is Turkey, enjoy the moment of peace & quiet when things go down! My accountant tells me that as I now have a 'Turkey office' I can claim tax relief in UK for air flights, use of my Turkish home & relevant costs (as my wife is company secretary she can claim same!) As mentioned earlier---get used to Skype (& Skype out) calls to UK mobiles & land lines cost pennies..............Cheers, Gaz.
Gazgaskell is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 07:25   #10 (permalink)

jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of jcrian has much to be proud of

As BT won't update our telephone lines so that we can have broadband I use Call18185 for all our calls.Just 5p connection charge and any length,time or duration of call in UK 0p per minute.

Turkey - landline 1p per minute
mobile 5p per minute

Germany - landline 3p per minute
mobile 10p per minute

http://www.18185.co.uk/index2.php?tariffnotice=on

There are no problems in life,just solutions
jcrian is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
calls , internet , phone , tesco , turkey