Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 30th September 2007, 10:19   #1 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute
Using Your Mobile Phone In Turkey

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded but it's quite useful regarding the procedure re registering your mobile phone in Turkey as a resident or a visitor - courtesy of the Bodrum Observer.

"It was again a reader of the Bodrum Observer who drew my attention to the matter of mobile phones brought from abroad and used with Turkish SIM-cards. After having used a phone brought from Germany for a fortnight she received a message from the provider telling her that the Turkish Telecommunications Institution, (Türk Telekomünikasyon Kurumu), would block her phone if she hadn't had it registered by a certain date.

As she didn't understand the message she soon found herself with a blocked cell phone. She was told that the Turkcell subscribers' centre, (Abone Kayıt Merkezi), was expected to deal with the registration but she was refused due to temporary registration system failure. The clerk said the system was expected to work again in one month (that was in June). In the meantime I researched the matter and share my knowledge about the theory with you (for those of you who can read Turkish and want the information in detail visit ;

http://www.tk.gov.tr/Tuketici/Sorula...htm#elektronik

Two different situations have to be considered ;
a)Residents in Turkey import phones from abroad,
b) Visitors to Turkey use their mobile phones with a Turkish sim-card

General regulations:

-There's no need for any customs procedures regarding the cell phone
- Within a few days from starting to use the phone in Turkey with a Turkish sim-card the phone owner is expected to apply to the relevant Abone Kayıt Merkezi, (Turkcell, Vodaphone or Avea, which acts on behalf of the Türk Telekomünikasyon Kurumu), to have the phone registered, otherwise it will be blocked after a short time. (there is no exact limit as to how long a non-registered phone can be used before being blocked – it can take from 10 days to some weeks)

Regulations applying to residents in Turkey:

- As of January 2000 anybody coming from abroad is allowed to bring one mobile phone per year per person, regardless of it’s value, as a personal belonging. It is not allowed to send mobile phones per mail, not even as presents,
-Documents required for registration Please note: the present information was provided by Turkcell Abone Kayıt Merkezi (opposite the marina, tel: 313 5600) Check with Vodafone or Avea as their requirements are slightly different!

a) Original and copy of your passport /ID card with last entrance stamp ;
b) A residence certificate, (İkametgah senedi) issued by the muhtar ;
c) Application written on the photocopied passport/ID specifying your phone’s IMEI number ;
d) Not required but helpful: an invoice regarding purchase of phone

- Procedure:

The clerk will check the identity (IMEI) number of the phone. Provided nothing is wrong with it, the numder will be entered in the computer which simultaneously records the phone with the Türk Telekomünikasyon Kurumu. Hereafter the phone can be used in Turkey with any simcard. There is no fee to pay for registration.

Regulations applying to Visitors :

-Documents required

a) Passport /ID card with last entrance stamp ;
b) Sim-card agreement (you get this when you purchase a Turkish sim-card)

- Procedure:

The registration should be performed as soon as the Turkish sim-card is purchased. The phone’s IMEI and the MSISDN (phone number), will be linked. This registration is only valid as long as this particular number is being used. If the visitor comes again and uses another number, the procedure has to be repeated. The registration is free.

How can a cell phone be unblocked :

If a phone has already been blocked, it is sufficient to take the above mentioned documents to the Abone Kayıt Merkezi and have the phone registered. Unblocking the phone should not take longer than a week. Note ; I checked with the different Abone Kayıt Merkezi , (Turkcell, Vodaphone and Avea), and indeed, there is no longer any problem with registering phones from abroad."

Annette Ertan
Bodrum Consulting and Translation
Severcan Cad. Zeytindalı
Sitesi No.30 48400 Bodrum

Source : Issue 41 The Bodrum Observer

C
ceemac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 30th September 2007, 12:31   #2 (permalink)

sunflower oil is on a distinguished road
Re: Using Your Mobile Phone In Turkey

Does this mean your phone would be blocked any you would not be able to use it when arriving back in England?
sunflower oil is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 12:44   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 2,228 Times in 936 Posts
Guz1 has disabled reputation

I bought a Turkish mobile phone and also some spare credit with the intention of keeping the phone active, but since I got home I can't even turn on the phone. Does anyone know if this means the phone will be useless when I return to Turkey?
Guz1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 13:21   #4 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute

Sunflower

I don't know the answer to that but I would guess that the block will only render it inoperative in Turkey. I should also say that you can use your own UK mobile with UK simcard without having to register the phone in Turkey (I'm assured this is correct), but this is a very expensive way to make calls. It's when you put a Turkish simcard into a 'foreign' phone without registering the phone that the problems arise.

Guz

I too bought a Turkish mobile phone and I've left it there with a friend who has kindly offered to make a call from it every couple of months.

C

Just to add another bit here, I found this useful piece on the following website www.homesonsale.co.uk

"simoncuss09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
For anyone spending more than 2 weeks in Turkey.
Many of us are aware of the huge costs of using a UK mobile phone in Turkey. I have had bills in excess of £500 this year alone. The problem is that if you can use a Turkish Sim card in you phone (unlocked) then you cannot just put this in the phone and use it because in Turkey the phone needs to be registered.
This all happened last December 2005 when there was a call to reduce mobile phone thefts which is a huge problem in Turkey. Really, be careful with your phone.
The answer: Buy a new phone from a Turkish shop like Turkcell. Phone prices start at £40. Also buy the sim card. £19 gets you 110 free units.
The alternative: Take your unlocked - sim free phone that you use in the UK to Turkey. At the customs desk in the airport, get them to stamp a form that you can give to a phone shop and register you phone with a sim card. The custs official will check you phone against a list and charge you import duty. My phone which is £400 cost £45 duty.
Also any one wishing cheap call to Turkey, use this
0844 861 6060 for land lines (1p per min)
0871 772 9595 for mobiles (7p per min)
From Turkey to the UK, set up a Skype account in the UK, buy a Skype in number. So when online in Turkey, you can make call for 1p per min or 12p for mobiles.
Hope this helps anyone.
Good luck."

Last edited by ceemac; 30th September 2007 at 13:38..
ceemac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 14:27   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Ceemac. Yes, we had previously left the phone and credit with our Turkish neighbours but last time forgot to leave the phone behind. Just wondered whether the phone will work when I return to Turkey.
Old 30th September 2007, 17:14   #6 (permalink)

MiniBean is on a distinguished road

Guz - it will depend on the amount of time since it was last used.

Just to throw in, a SIM card is now available for foreign visitors to Turkey which does not require phone registration. It is called BlueSIM and is on the Vodafone network. It's available for purchase on the internet, and you can just top it up like normal. I've had mine since June, and it's been excellent.
MiniBean is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 18:05   #7 (permalink)
I am not old but wise

friar tuck will become famous soon enough friar tuck will become famous soon enough

Mini Bean when you say top up as normal you purchase Kontours in Turkiye and this tops up your BlueSIM is this correct.

www.bluesim.co.uk

Last edited by friar tuck; 30th September 2007 at 18:10..
friar tuck is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 18:19   #8 (permalink)

Hi Mini Bean. I'm afraid the phone will have been unused for 5 or 6 months by the time we return to Turkey. This BlueSIM might be worth looking into.......thank you for telling us about it.
Old 30th September 2007, 18:58   #9 (permalink)
top notch member

trevan is on a distinguished road

i have a cheap pay as you go turkish phone it does not work in the uk because tukcell is the service provider (i did not expect it to) but it works when i go back to turkey.
trevor
trevan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:30   #10 (permalink)

MiniBean is on a distinguished road

Friar Tuck - Yes, that is exactly what I meant (in my round about way). You just top the phone up with normal Vodafone kontors, and talk away! It's very handy to have.
MiniBean is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile , phone , turkey