Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th September 2010, 11:21   #1 (permalink)
dawn ingram

dawningram has a spectacular aura about dawningram has a spectacular aura about dawningram has a spectacular aura about
Best/Cheapest Internet provider?

Hi -
We have an apartment in Didim, which I use at Easter, May half term and for 6 weeks in the summer. Having spent far too much time this year running to the internet cafe at night in the dark to speak to the family still at home I have decided to look into getting internet provision installed when we return at easter next year and taking a laptop over with me. Can anyone advise me with reference to their own experiences of having it installed? i'm looking for recommendations of Internet providers - in particular individual shops in Didim that might provide the whole service, any problems that might be avoided etc. Can I also ask what sort of costs I would be taking on in terms of installation and monthly bills...given that its only occassional use I don't want to spend a fortune on this. I would be using it for Skype connection, emails, facebook, watching programmes on catch up TV and general browsing. Many Thanks in advance just for reading this.
dawningram is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 6th September 2010, 12:35   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,739 Posts
val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best/Cheapest Internet provider?

Dawn you need a telephone installed (for which you will need a Residents Permit) and the only provider is TT Net. The basic cost per month is about 29TL. You can get dongles for your mobile phone from Vodafone or Turkcell which might be a better option for you.

Val
val2661 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to val2661 For This Useful Post:
dawningram (6th September 2010)
Old 6th September 2010, 13:26   #3 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

i was told by Turkcell that for about 34Tl you will get about 3 hours a day [1 month ] for e/mails for around 34 Tl for the month [using a turkcell mobile linked to the PC.
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
Old 6th September 2010, 13:55   #4 (permalink)

Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningram View Post
Hi -
We have an apartment in Didim, which I use at Easter, May half term and for 6 weeks in the summer. Having spent far too much time this year running to the internet cafe at night in the dark to speak to the family still at home I have decided to look into getting internet provision installed when we return at easter next year and taking a laptop over with me. Can anyone advise me with reference to their own experiences of having it installed? i'm looking for recommendations of Internet providers - in particular individual shops in Didim that might provide the whole service, any problems that might be avoided etc. Can I also ask what sort of costs I would be taking on in terms of installation and monthly bills...given that its only occassional use I don't want to spend a fortune on this. I would be using it for Skype connection, emails, facebook, watching programmes on catch up TV and general browsing. Many Thanks in advance just for reading this.
Hi we use a Turkcell Dongle cost 250 lira with a 4 gb usage for a month then you top it up at the end of the month cost 50 to 55 lira a month, the shop is down Didim high street I know its a bit costly but if you are not a resident then its the only alternative unless you go to a cafe/shop with wifi.
Had we known about the Avia shop on the other side of the road from Turkcell a friend of ours purchased an Avia dongle with 4gb for 99lira and 39 lira a month top up for 4gb, but having said that we use ours every day for MSN email's browsing the net listening to our home town radio etc its on several hour a day and we only use just under 2gb a month, if you want to download films - games etc then you will use more

Briand.
Briand is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Briand For This Useful Post:
Old 6th September 2010, 14:32   #5 (permalink)
dawn ingram

dawningram has a spectacular aura about dawningram has a spectacular aura about dawningram has a spectacular aura about

I'm sorry that I am going to appear so thick now, but If I use a dongle will i see the internet on my pc screen? is it something thats interacts between my mobile and the pc to allow me to load web-based material on my pc? I have a vodaphone pay as you go phone that i used to go on facebook this yr but it works out at more than a pound a day so not very economic, and also very poor visuals as the screen is so small. I had a turk cell phone last yr but it didn't prove very economic for ringing home and when i returned it wouldn't work! Believe it or not I have a joint honours degree with the minor subject in IT...though in fairness I did graduate 13 years ago so maybe that's why i'm so hopelessly out of date with all this. i really do want a pc in the apartment that has internet so i can see the family on the full screen...i'm not bothered about films etc tho so i doubt I would exceed 4gb a month.
dawningram is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 14:35   #6 (permalink)

gazzer is just really nice gazzer is just really nice gazzer is just really nice gazzer is just really nice

Hi,
The dongle plugs direct into your laptop to give you internet access....Turkcell dongle costs around 250tl and our top up costs us 29tl per month for 4gb...

Gary
gazzer is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gazzer For This Useful Post:
Old 6th September 2010, 14:38   #7 (permalink)
dawn ingram

if I take my laptop into the shop will they provide the mighty "dongle" and get it working for me so I can then just trot back to the apartment and use it at will there?
Old 6th September 2010, 14:51   #8 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,000 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute

Dawningram, you said you also want to watch catch up tv, Do you know that you cant watch catch up tv out of UK without subscribing to a special service?? Also I think you may need a faster service than the most basic packges. Some of the guys on here know all about this because I asked a while ago as Im thinking of doing that myself, Im sure someone will come along who can advise more on this.
Also Val is right that to get a landline installed in your own name you need a res permit, however if you dont have one the usual and VERY common way is to have it installed in a Turkish friends name. This is how I have one and Turk Telecom are fine with that.
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
Old 6th September 2010, 16:25   #9 (permalink)
dawn ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by A89 View Post
Dawningram, you said you also want to watch catch up tv, Do you know that you cant watch catch up tv out of UK without subscribing to a special service?? Also I think you may need a faster service than the most basic packges. Some of the guys on here know all about this because I asked a while ago as Im thinking of doing that myself, Im sure someone will come along who can advise more on this.
Also Val is right that to get a landline installed in your own name you need a res permit, however if you dont have one the usual and VERY common way is to have it installed in a Turkish friends name. This is how I have one and Turk Telecom are fine with that.
Thanks for that advice...if I was to get a line in someone elese's name, what is the initial installation costs and monthly charge for internet provision? This sounds a good option as I could also use the phone...unless the dongle thing is much cheaper of course.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:49   #10 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,000 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningram View Post
Thanks for that advice...if I was to get a line in someone elese's name, what is the initial installation costs and monthly charge for internet provision? This sounds a good option as I could also use the phone...unless the dongle thing is much cheaper of course.
Im not sure what the installation costs are but im sure someone will come along who knows all the costs better than me, they are quite quick to install though. My telephone bill is around 17 TL a month for the rental. If you have any friends who also have landlines in Turkey its very cheap to call them, also for people calling you from UK if they use the 18185 service (think thats the right number) its only 2p per min to call you (6p-8p per min to your turkish mobile). My internet with TTnet is 29tl a month for the basic service but im not sure yet if that is quick enough to watch tv online, im going there permantly in 2 weeks so will find out then, but again someone else here will know more about that.
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:

Tags
best or cheapest , internet , provider