Classified Ads
  Egyptian Living Forum
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com
Old 29th December 2010, 09:44   #1 (permalink)

amanda b has a spectacular aura about amanda b has a spectacular aura about
Hide My IP

Does anybody use this Hide My IP site? Im trying to set it up in the UK before I come back to Turkey tomorrow. The primary reason is so I can watch BBC I Player. Ive downloaded a Trial version which is hopeless and I cant open anything on it. Ive tried to buy the full package but my Mac Safari wont allow me to open the page. Does anyone rate this site?
Old 29th December 2010, 09:57   #2 (permalink)

Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold
Re: Hide My IP

Good morning:

I am not an expert on this subject but have been enjoying watching BBC IPlayer throughout the winter by using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) in the UK which was recommended by a friend.

Yes, you have to pay for this but I find it well worth the cost. I log on to the network before I go to the BBC, ITV or Channel 4 web sites and then disconnect before returning to normal viewing.

VPN Setup Instructions for Windows Mac Linux iPhones and Symbian

VPN IP Tunneling - VPN UK, USA, Spain, Canada, Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland VPN services.

Cheers

Squeaky
Squeaky is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squeaky For This Useful Post:
amanda b (29th December 2010)
Old 29th December 2010, 10:04   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 6,245 Times in 2,223 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to use Hide My IP for one year to watch BBC in the same way you intend to use it. It was not a great success and I was not sure why, but I eventually stopped using it. My guess, after a little trial and error, was that no matter what speed my connection was at this end (Turkey) the real problem came with a much reduced speed between Hide My IP server and BBC. The result, whatever the cause, was very poor downloads with frequent halting of the programmes. This was with a speed at this end of 2Mb, which gave me a real level around 1.3 to 1.6Mb in real terms, which should have been fast enough but was not.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Old 29th December 2010, 10:52   #4 (permalink)

Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold

There are some infrastructure issues in Turkey - if you a local speedtest you may get 4MPS, but do the same test to any UK server and it drops a lot. Adding a VPN will usually make the 'route' a bit longer. Even so, I've had decent connections even with as low as 0.3 MPS download. What's more important is ping - if it's too high, you get buffering. Most of my users are in Bodrum , Fethiye, etc. and a few have to give up because of infrastructure, but there are a lot of people very happy with the speed. Simple fact is, in most cases, yes, you can watch iplayer and itv and 4od using a VPN in Turkey.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:42   #5 (permalink)

amanda b has a spectacular aura about amanda b has a spectacular aura about

I'll give the VPN a try but can I turn it on and off so that I can do my normal computer work at my normal speed and just turn it on when I want to connect to TV? I dont want to slow my computer down in general
Old 29th December 2010, 14:55   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,878 Times in 771 Posts
maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute

Expat Shield
Have you tried this?
I watch BBC I player thro this can be a bit slow at times but gets there in the end.
You also have the option of switching it on and off as you require .
Hugs Maggie xxx
Old 29th December 2010, 16:14   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 12,066 Times in 4,571 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the EX-PAT SHIELD but it made my laptop run very slow so had to un-install it--i have a big problem with buffering when i try to watch films so have given up
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 16:19   #8 (permalink)

Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold Squeaky is a splendid one to behold

Good afternoon:

Amand b: The VPN that I use has to be manually connected and can be disconnected. I have an icon on my desktop which causes the connection VPNUK Connection Assistant to pop up - click on connect and it takes a minute or two to authenticate and connect. Do the same and when the Assistant pops up click on disconnect and you are back to normal.

I have found that some sites require more bandwidth than others so when BBC spends too much buffering, I disconnect the VPN and go to a site such as Top Documentary Films - Watch Free Documentaries Online and try to find something to amuse me for a while before trying BBC again later.

I find that watching programs on my computer a great advantage as I can usually watch what I want when I want and am free to pause it and come back later. Wish I could do that with normal TV although I think we will be able to do eventually.

Cheers and good luck

Squeaky
Squeaky is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squeaky For This Useful Post:
amanda b (1st January 2011), maggie (29th December 2010)
Old 29th December 2010, 16:21   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,878 Times in 771 Posts
maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute maggie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibris View Post
I tried the EX-PAT SHIELD but it made my laptop run very slow so had to un-install it--i have a big problem with buffering when i try to watch films so have given up
I found that if you switch it off when you dont need it lap top, desk top etc runs okay.

I also found if you let it buffer for a bit then switch it off and start again it seems to be not so bad.

Hugs Maggie xx

Last edited by maggie; 29th December 2010 at 16:23.. Reason: meant off not unistall.
maggie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maggie For This Useful Post:
amanda b (1st January 2011), kibris (29th December 2010)
Old 29th December 2010, 17:26   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 12,066 Times in 4,571 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

Ive tried the pausing it business but its a no go and if i leave it overlong it just freezes --seems theres no solution--ah well back to buying dvd,s
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
hide