Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 25th February 2012, 10:24   #1 (permalink)

helenb1960 is on a distinguished road
Iphone Sim

I'm moving out to Turkey shortly and bringing my unlocked iPhone with me, which I intend to register in Turkey. Does anyone know any good sim deals available?

Thanks
helenb1960 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 1st March 2012, 09:49   #2 (permalink)
The Wandering Yankee

Qaaolchoura will become famous soon enough
Re: Iphone Sim

No. I have a factory-unlocked Galaxy Tab, and I assumed it's basically the same deal. And oh the stories I could tell you about registering your phone. Make sure you register it with a Turkish phone company within the first month, or you'll have to go to the tourist police and make Many stores and pretty much all the phone card stands, though legally required to won't register your phone, because it's a pain and you're a stupid foreigner who doesn't know any better. Pretty much every foreigner I've talked to had to buy two SIM cards, because they didn't know they had a problem until their phone service was shut off after one month because their phone wasn't registered. And the number (and hence the SIM) wasn't registered of course, because the device wasn't registered (or in one case, the guy was sold a used SIM card and it was registered to the previous owner).

As for deals, I know that Avea requires you to be a Turkish citizen to take advantage of theirs, and puts and age limit on it (first they told me I had to be under 25, which I am, then they told me I have to live here, and I showed them my residency permit, then they told me I had to be a citizen). It occurs to me though that it wouldn't be hard to get a young Turkish friend to register it in your name, as long as you don't buy a phone card without registering.

Avea seemed to have good prices for foreigners but prices have recently gone up and they calculate usage as being more than it is, and then charge you more than twice as much as the stores claim the price is. (A "cigabayt" of data, which stores will tell you is twenty lira, will set you back 50 officially, and more because you're using more than you actually are.)

Really, honestly, I can tell you that with both Avea and Turkcell you're screwed, though in Istanbul, my first experience was with Avea was good though Turkcell has more stores with English speakers, and as I understand it might give you automatic discounts when calling Turkish numbers. I can't tell you about Vodafone, except that in a thread I posted in Turkish Life about my frustrations, a guy recommended it.

I can also tell you that my first card (a Turkcell card, the one that got shut off), did not handle data, whereas officially, if you want to buy more than a gigabyte of data/month at Avea (and like I said, their "cigabayt" are about 350 MB, so I no longer want to do that), you're supposed to have to buy a data SIM, which cannot make phone calls. In practice, this is not enforced, if you go to a different store every time.

Of course I haven't met a foreigner yet who hasn't had frustration with Turkish phone companies (that's one of the few things I'll say in favor of Korea: their phone companies are helpful and their stores are full of English speakers), so if you have a Turkish friend who owes you a favor, call it in.

Regards
~Q
Qaaolchoura is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 10:25   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,969 Posts
evo80 has disabled reputation

never had a prob with Turkcell cust svs even calling them from the UK no prob.
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evo80 For This Useful Post:
bigred (27th March 2012)
Old 1st March 2012, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Last month I bought a Blackberry back from the UK, I registered it with Turkcell, you have a month to do it from the date stamped on your passport. DO NOT REGISTER IT AT ON OF THESE LITTLE SHOPS, go into the proper Turkcell shop.
I then went on one of their packages. 30TL per month, for that I get 500 mins to any network or landline numbers in Turkey, I think I get a couple of hundred free msn's plus so many "bites" (whatever they are) for going on the net. As I have only just started to learn how to use this bloody phone certain parts I am not sure of but it works for me.

Same topic, what the hell is a "media card" for my phone & how much are they in Turkey? My daughter keeps telling me to get one but what do the do?

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 14:25   #5 (permalink)
Living in Okcular

Thanked 1,768 Times in 626 Posts
v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Same topic, what the hell is a "media card" for my phone & how much are they in Turkey? My daughter keeps telling me to get one but what do the do?
I think your daughter is referring to a SD Card (I think the blackberry takes a micro SD version) it is a way of increasing the storage capacity on your phone.
Spurs (1st March 2012)
Old 1st March 2012, 14:40   #6 (permalink)
The Wandering Yankee

Qaaolchoura will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Last month I bought a Blackberry back from the UK, I registered it with Turkcell, you have a month to do it from the date stamped on your passport. DO NOT REGISTER IT AT ON OF THESE LITTLE SHOPS, go into the proper Turkcell shop.
If I wasn't clear, I absolutely agree. They will either not register it at all, or not follow proper procedures, resulting in your phone being shut off after a month. And be careful; the first card I got was at what I thought was a proper Turkcell store, but wasn't, and he didn't register it, and didn't sell me a SIM that could handle data, which I specifically asked for, and I'm pretty sure he overcharged for the SIM card.

The proper phone stores tend to have sparse walls of somewhat overpriced accessories, and at least two employees, all but one of whom will be an exceptionally attractive woman, and one of whom will be a man. (Regardless of your sexual orientation, you will probably consider making an exception for the store employees of your non-preferred sex.) The employees, if they don't understand you (sometimes they have a man who speaks English) will usually talk among each other, and one of the involved will be a man, and then a woman will spend a great deal of time helping you on Babelfish or Google Translate, and often claim to make an exception in company policy for you. At least that's the case on Avea and Vodaphone; I'll report on Turkcell when I get my 3G dongle.

The little stores will feel cramped and dirty, the accessories will usually be numerous and behind the counter, and will have one male employee who is usually rude and unhelpful, and sometimes another male employee who will sit back and do nothing but watch. So yeah, I'd guess I'd advise you to trust your gut. You'll know a reliable place when you see it.

Quote:
It's either a card that can handle data, or a special data SIM (which will let you fill up with more data, but has different terms of usage, which horribly confuse me). Since I don't want to change my Sim cards off and on, or use a Skype number, which gets many of my calls screened, I haven't got one of the latter, but I had to specifically get one of the former.

[edit type=brag]Or maybe it is an SD card. I didn't think of it, because I bought a tablet with the maximum capacity.[/edit]

Regards,
~Q

Last edited by Qaaolchoura; 1st March 2012 at 14:42.. Reason: See edit tags above
Qaaolchoura is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:02   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,969 Posts
evo80 has disabled reputation

Jeez man ,where have you been going ? never had any probs like you mention in 6 years in either the main Turkcell shops or the small shops .
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 18:54   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 2,103 Times in 1,006 Posts
REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo80 View Post
Jeez man ,where have you been going ? never had any probs like you mention in 6 years in either the main Turkcell shops or the small shops .
I agree,either 'Q' is a difficult person[no disrespect] or he knows all the wrong people...lol.

It's so easy to register with Turkcell.If you bring a phone into Turkey,you must go to a MAIN Turkcell/Avea/Vodaphone shop within 30 days of entering the country,with your passport & show your entry stamp.
In Bodrum the cost to register the phone is 24tl & a sim pack is either 19tl which includes 5tl worth of calls or 45tl which includes 20tl of calls.
You can only register one phone every 2 years & the sim is registered to the phone ie not transferable.
If you use an imported phone without registering it,you will get around 2/4 weeks of use from it before the IEMI is blocked,rendering the phone totally useless in Turkey[not the sim].If you take the blocked phone back to the uk,it will still work[with a uk sim card].

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,780 Times in 4,704 Posts
kemerkid has disabled reputation

Redders, you are correct in all you say except that the sim card is registered to the phone. The sim card can be used in any turkish phone or registered none Turkish Phone

Life’s journey leads to many crossroads.
Success and happiness is knowing which direction to take.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:37   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 2,103 Times in 1,006 Posts
REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,i already had a Turkcell sim card & that can be transfered,but we were told that if you register a phone & take out a new sim,that sim was 'fixed' to that phone....but hey,this is Turkey...what IS the truth.?..lol...

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone , sim