johny

Mobile WIFI
I have a pay as you go Turkcell Multivinn WIFI system which I have used for the past couple of years when I am in Turkey. The unit works fine, but I have become fed up with the fact that you can only top it up online if you have a Turkish Credit Card.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a Vodafone or Avea pay as you go data sim, then insert it into the Multivinn unit, or is the Multivinn locked into the Turkcell network?

Thanks.

evo80

Mobile WIFI
I have a pay as you go Turkcell Multivinn WIFI system which I have used for the past couple of years when I am in Turkey. The unit works fine, but I have become fed up with the fact that you can only top it up online if you have a Turkish Credit Card.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a Vodafone or Avea pay as you go data sim, then insert it into the Multivinn unit, or is the Multivinn locked into the Turkcell network?

Thanks.
I don't think it will take any other sim as I tried mine and it would not work . It should not be a problem topping up if you go to Turkey every year and do it when you arrive, as the top up deadline is 270 days [around 9 months ] so, as long as you go back within 270 days of last top up you will always keep the sim active .]same goes for Turkcell mobile ]

johny

Mobile WIFI
I don't think it will take any other sim as I tried mine and it would not work . It should not be a problem topping up if you go to Turkey every year and do it when you arrive, as the top up deadline is 270 days [around 9 months ] so, as long as you go back within 270 days of last top up you will always keep the sim active .]same goes for Turkcell mobile ]

Thanks for the information Evo80. The nearest 'official' Turkcell shop is quite a bit away from our place in Turkey, and I hate getting ripped off by some of the the local phone shops who charge whatever they can get away with for doing a top up.

evo80

Mobile WIFI
Thanks for the information Evo80. The nearest 'official' Turkcell shop is quite a bit away from our place in Turkey, and I hate getting ripped off by some of the the local phone shops who charge whatever they can get away with for doing a top up.

As far as I know they are not allowed to charge you more for the top up [maybe 3to 4 tl extra ] . I top up at a local mob phone shop come grocers /come etc and I always say to him 39tl please top up my vinn .Sometimes he adds 3 or 4 tl and that's ok as to drive to my nearest Turkcell official shop at Turky fuel prices would be a no win ,so I don't mind paying that little bit extra . Next time just hand them say 40 tl and say 1 gb please 1 month or say 60tl 3 gb 3 months . That's what I do .They are sometimes surprised that I know the official top up price and I think that throws them a bit .

hayabusa

Mobile WIFI
Hi Johnny,

What is a multi inn WIFI system, can you send a photo of the unit so that I can get one for my internet when I am in Turkey ?.....

You can PM me if you wish.

catweazle

Mobile WIFI
Thanks Catweazle. Do you know where you can get the Multivinn unlocked?

you might be able to get it done at one of these small phone shops.
I unlocked my own but it took quite a bit to find out the make and software, as they are all branded by the phone company and you need to know the manufacturer. then go from there.

CJD

Mobile WIFI
f you ensure that you have enough credit on your turkcell phone you can text
AYLIK 4GB 5XXXXXXX (your dongle number) send to 2222
you will receive a message from 2400 reply EVET. your multivinn is recharged immediately
Turkcell shops told me I had to visit the shop to top up, a lousy option when the nearest is an
hours drive away I found this method from our local, helpful phone shop in Bozburun.

Last edited:

johny

Mobile WIFI
Hi Johnny,

What is a multi inn WIFI system, can you send a photo of the unit so that I can get one for my internet when I am in Turkey ?.....

You can PM me if you wish.

Hi Hayabusa.

Here is a link to the Turkcell website which has a picture of the Multivinn

Evden ?nternet | V?nn 3G Wifi | ?nternet Paketleri | Turkcell

The one I have is slightly older, but does pretty much the same thing. You can run approximately 7 appliances through them at the same time, so if you have a family with you with mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc, they are ideal. They run through 3G, so the speed you will get will depend on the strength of the Turkcell signal in your area. They are fine for reading emails, Facebook, Twitter etc, but avoid streaming long videos or live TV as your allowance will be quickly eaten up.

The other phone companies such as Vodafone and Avea offer something similar. The new mobile WIFIs are easy to set up and are relatively inexpensive. I think ours cost around 150TL a few years ago including the SIM card, but I'm not sure how much they cost nowadays.

If you are thinking about buying one, the best advice I can give you is to go to one of the official Turkcell dealers to make sure you don't get overcharged. I initially went to one of the local phone shops in town, who were going to charge me double the true price. Also, take your passport along with you as the shop will need this to register the SIM card in your name.

johny

Mobile WIFI
f you ensure that you have enough credit on your turkcell phone you can text
AYLIK 4GB 5XXXXXXX (your dongle number) send to 2222
you will receive a message from 2400 reply EVET. your multivinn is recharged immediately
Turkcell shops told me I had to visit the shop to top up, a lousy option when the nearest is an
hours drive away I found this method from our local, helpful phone shop in Bozburun.

Thanks Carol. I used this method a few years ago, but I didn't realise you could still do it. Have you topped up this way recently?

Up until a few months ago, you could top up online using a credit card - which I found very convenient as you could do it from the UK. You can still do this, but for some reason Turkcell will no longer accept non Turkish credit cards - annoying to say the least.

evo80

Mobile WIFI
Thanks Carol. I used this method a few years ago, but I didn't realise you could still do it. Have you topped up this way recently?

Up until a few months ago, you could top up online using a credit card - which I found very convenient as you could do it from the UK. You can still do this, but for some reason Turkcell will no longer accept non Turkish credit cards - annoying to say the least.

Not sure I understand this . so ,are they taking the credit from your mob phone balance ? . if so and you are in UK and not enough balance on your mob ,then you still have same prob topping up your mob ?. Or have I got it wrong ?

CJD

Mobile WIFI
If you don't have enough credit on your phone, you can't top up regardless
of where you are.

newone60

Mobile WIFI
Hi
How long does mobile wifi credit last ,ie expiry date fro when you top it up?
Some say 90 days others 270 days,I am with Turkcell.
Josh

evo80

Mobile WIFI
Hi
How long does mobile wifi credit last ,ie expiry date fro when you top it up?
Some say 90 days others 270 days,I am with Turkcell.
Josh

Its 270 days. I had a e/mail from Turkcell cust svs confirming it .in any case it was well over 250 days since I last topped up and mine was fine .

evo80

Mobile WIFI
of where you are.

Thats what I thought . I get a turkish friend to top up mine. I have the phone in UK ,they only need the num to top up . So I can get them to top up the vinn as well .

evo80

Mobile WIFI
of where you are.

Thats what I thought . I get a turkish friend to top up mine. I have the phone in UK ,they only need the num to top up . So I can get them to top up the vinn as well .

evo80

Mobile WIFI
All according to if you bought 1 month data or 3 months data. I only buy 1 month as that's how long I go for at a time. So as I leave if there is any left on it I lose it. But as I am back in UK it does not matter to me .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom