Marc

Register your phone completely online (even tax for Garanti and IsBank customers)
Ok so I needed to register a phone and had heared some horror stories about other shops doing it and prices ranging from 200tl - 300tl.

A Turkish friend of mine told me I should do it online using the governement E-devlet site, after a bit more research I found a great article HERE which I basically followed with a few differences.

Here it is in summary all confirmed as I've done it. If your Turkish is not to hot then I'd recommend asking a friend to help, mine is average/good and I managed OK.

The usual caveats remain i.e. you are resident, you entered the country in the last 60 days and the phone has not been used previously in Turkey.

1. Go to a larger PTT (one in Akbuk was too small I had to go to Didim) and ask for an e-Devlet password (take your passport and residency with you along with the fee 2TL)

2. On your computer finalise the registration by going to e-Devlet

3. Once you are up and running on the site then go to the IMEI Registration

4. Here you will need to enter details about you (Phone number, IMEI, Passport, Date of Last entry etc) then finalise

5. Next is the payment page, as I am a Garanti customer i just clicked on the link(which opens up a new page), logged into my bank and paid the fee (131.50TL) once complete go back to the original screen to continue. If you are not Garanti/ISBank customer then you need to go to the Tax office and pay the fee.

6. Then you are ready to confirm all the details and make the IMEI Registration, if all is well it gives you a reference number.

All in all it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish and notified me that the phone will be registered within 12 hours. To check on this click on the IMEI Verify in practice mine was done in the time that it took me to write this message :)

This way sure does beat relying on phone shops that also charge you for a new sim 50tl and a registration fee of 100tl

The above are the basic steps I followed, which worked for me, the article I linked to has more detail.

Take care

Marc

evo80

Register your phone completely online (even tax for Garanti and IsBank customers)
I did not think you had to be a resident to register a UK mob ?

Marc

To do it this way (via e-devlet) you have to have residency as it asks you when completing the registration.

regards

Marc

Marc

After trying to use the e-devlet system to register my daughters phone, the system responded with a "technical error". on speaking with the BTK they confirmed that the child registration procedure can only be followed online if you are a Turkish National (with proper T.C. Kimlik number and not a foreigners one that starts 99)

I told them that my daughter already had a SIM and that Turkcell were trying to charge 185tl for a new sim and registration fee. They informed me that purchasing a new sim is not compulsory but they have no control over the registration fee.

They asked which provider my daughter was with and told me to go to Avea as they deal with BIMCell accounts.

So off I went to the Didim AVEA (Main mosque road) and explained what had happened, and checking through the paper work I had he said I needed.

Parents Passport
Parents residency card.

Daughters Passport
Daughters residency card
Official Last entry document (from the Passport Buro in the police station)
Tax Payment (131.50) Listing my daughters full name and phone IMEI number.

On returning with everything I waited 10 minutes, signed two registration forms, and paid the registration fee (35tl not 100tl as it was in Turkcell just over the road), they also didn't ask me about a sim.

Today I used the IMEI Verify system on e-devlet to confirm that the paper work has been logged and is being validated, AVEA said the process takes 3 full days to complete.

Regards

Marc

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that the e-devlet system for registration is now working...it has been a long time coming!
When I registered a phone just over a year ago I got my password from the PTT, paid the fee at the tax office and completed the whole online registration system only to get a message saying the online system was only open to Turkish Nationals but would be open to foreigners at a later stage. Obviously that time has now come.
As a result I had to go through the shop process and paid Turkcell 30TL and used my existing simcard.
However, to those who for some reason cannot or dont want to use the online system I would certainly advise shopping around and not paying anything like the 100TL some people are quoting some Turkcell shops demanding for the administration fee - as well as often a new sim.
Worth remembering that the Turkcell shops that do this are independent businesses and basically many charge what they think they can get away with.
I took friends to register theirs a couple of months ago and the admin fee to Turkcell was 40TL and there was no need for a new sim card - they simple swapped their existing one from their own phone.
The 131TL tax is obviously set by the Government - the Turkcell admin part is not and as with everything here, dont just pay it because you are told thats what it is. Shop around and use the places that charge the reasonable rate and have been recommended for it.

evo80

On another mob phone point .Just read a article that Hackers are getting into smart mobiles by using the auto fetching of MMS msgs to mobiles facility in mob settings. Says its best to go into MMS settings and untick the auto fetching box.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
On another mob phone point .Just read a article that Hackers are getting into smart mobiles by using the auto fetching of MMS msgs to mobiles facility in mob settings. Says its best to go into MMS settings and untick the auto fetching box.

If you have the latest Android updates you should be protected from that problem.

What is the ‘Stagefright’ hack? How to defend yourself By Robert Nazarian — August 25, 2015

Google began pushing out the updated app and other unspecified safeguards to Nexus devices and will be releasing them in open source later in the day, once full vulnerability details are disclosed. Google already sent the fix to hardware partners, and according to the Android Police news site, both Sprint and Samsung have started pushing out the updates. Updated handsets include the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6, the Galaxy S5, S6, S6 Edge, and Note Edge, the HTC One M7, One M8, One M9; LG Electronics G2, G3, G4; Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z3, Xperia Z4, Xperia Z3 Compact; and the Android One.

Google also announced changes to the way the company distributes Nexus security updates. Starting Wednesday, Nexus devices will receive regular monthly security updates. The updates will roll out for the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Nexus 10, and Nexus Player

"Google has recently prepared additional patches for its Nexus phones... Sadly, if you are not the owner of Nexus device, you may never see a security update for your phone. Unfortunately, smartphone manufacturers’ idling in providing patches is notorious, especially if you own a device older than 18 months."

"Untick the Auto-retrieve box in the MMS settings section."

"...until handset manufacturers roll out a proper Stagefright fix, your Android phone remains vulnerable. All this does is prevent your phone downloading (and installing) the malware automatically."

"Be vigilant: treat any file you’re sent in the same way you would a suspicious email: if you don’t know the sender, don’t open it. If you do know the sender, but they don’t often send you files, don’t open it until you’ve checked they actually sent it. Even then, treat anything you receive with caution. "

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom