Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 18th May 2014, 18:54   #31 (permalink)
Non Active Member

jackfatih has a spectacular aura about jackfatih has a spectacular aura about
Re: help wıth laptop settıngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEarth View Post
Unless or until you know you have a certified, legal version of Windows no one, neither me nor our friends, can be sure of all the problems you may have. Since the Casper shop installed your system, take it back to them and tell them you want them to help you with vaildation and updates. Make them show you how to do this and take notes. If you are ever stuck again you at least will then know the procedure. Either they are professionals and will help you or if you find they are not, find another shop that will.

Next ask them to prepare a set of system restore disks and to give you the legal Microsoft Windows serial numbers. Ask them to show you how to use the system restore. Do not let them assume you are just another dummy who is willing to take anything given to you. You are a customer and deserve to be treated as one. Ask them questions about your computer until you are assured you know what they suggest, what work they have done for you, and repeat back to them what you understand you need to do in the future. I have found that most reputable computer shops are willing to help if help is asked for, otherwise they just do what they think is best and leave it at that. Your proactive questioning and assertiveness are your allies.

All new Windows systems have restore software on the hard drives of the computer, they have not issued disks for a long time. The Windows documentation, which comes with the computer, advises the user that they should make back up copies of the system restore and how to do it. If you do not have that documentaion you can search for it on the Microsoft web site.

Ask them to set up a user account on your computer and use it. Do not use the Administrator account which came with the computer. Make sure you use a good password which you have to enter every time you restart your computer or come out of suspend. This is a simple first line of defence when using the Internet.

Ask them to show you how to setup the Windows firewall which comes with Windows. Forum members might suggest different commercial or free anti-virus/malware and firewall software. Then it is up to you to do some searches for reviews of the suggested software and then purchase, download and install what you choose to be the best choice for your computer.

Go to the Microsoft website and use their forums and Knowledge Base for the best way to install updates and how to choose between the security updates and those which are not critical. Then wait a few days for trouble reports to build, if any, in the meantime learn how to search for which updates may cause trouble for your particular system. There are many millions of Microsoft forum members able and willing to assist you with their combined knowledge, it is your job to find them out. Do a search for "Microsoft forum" and you will find many sponsored by Microsoft and many which are not.

If you took your car to a Turkish garage for repair and they put new parts on the car, wouldn't you ask them what they were for and why they replaced them? If that same garage decided to repaint your car for you, as a favour, would you question why? If your computer is of any value to you, then you need to be able to check "under the hood" for basic maintenance akin to checking the oil, the water, the wiper washer fluid, the power steering fluid, the fan belts and the tire pressure of your car. When you moved to Turkey, if you own a motor vehicle, you learned how to wade through the bureaucratic jumble of the muayene. A computer shop is no more difficult. They are both the muayene and the repair shop.

Attempt to arm yourself with basic knowledge such as how to restore a system if your hard drive fails, how to make backups of your essential data, how to look for and find proper anti-virus, anti-malware software, how to setup the Windows built-in firewall or install other commercial or free versions, and how to use secure web browsers or email programs. Educate yourself about how viruses and malware programs are spread through the ignorance of users who wantonly click on any link sent to them through and email. Use Murphy's law as a guide, "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." Computers fail or do not work as they should. Do what you can to arm yourself in advance so that making them work again is less painful.
Using a computer does not have to be rocket science but if a user wants to safely connect to the Internet, not get infected, and not get ripped off by a computer "usta" then the user has to take time to do advance research for preventive measures. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

See my suggestions above, I hope they are useful.
Mıddle earth thank you for your ınput yes ost of the coents were useful but. to be honest ım not thıck that ı dıd not know how to do back up my fıles on cd. choose a antıvırus after researchıng and askıng frıends, and as for wındows fırewall thıs ıs one of the fırst thıngs ı dıd when ı changed the system over to wındows 7 as well as securıty and prıvacy settngs etc. As for researchıng for help ı spent many many hours searchıng on web pages and forums to fınd out why computer suddenly started to play up. Unfortunately ı could not fınd the answer so hence ı started a thread wıth Turkısh Lıvıng as ı know there are quıt a few persons on here who know there stuff and ın the past have helped me wıth other problems.

To be honest what ıs happenıng seems to be qıt rare as no one can fınd a solutıon to thıs
1 wındows updates .... no message as stated prevıously
2 have attempted agaın to day to do system restore and ıt wıll not .

however the computer apart from these two errors seems to be runnıng ok.

So as statd yes ım not a wızard wıth the computer but ı do know how to change the oıl pump up tyres etc. and ask for help when ı cant fınd the answer.

Unless anyone out there can offer any other help on thıs ıt looks lıke a vısıt back to the computer shop so thank you all so much for tryıng to help and hıghlıghtıng some ınterestıng thıngs.
jacquı
jackfatih is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackfatih For This Useful Post:
kemerkid (18th May 2014), MiddleEarth (20th May 2014)
Old 19th May 2014, 08:25   #32 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Well yıppeeee spent lots of hours last nıght researchıng agaın and now have system restore workıng
Thıs ıs what ı dıd.
I unınstalled Mıcrosoft Securıty essentıals
dıd a dısk clean p then re downloaded Mıcrosoft secrıty essentıals

Then ı went to start and typed ın CMD
when thıs was showıng ı hıghlıghted the CMD.exe fıle and rıght clıcked then from the command prompt ı typed sfc/ and enter key
Thıs dıd a scan and found corrupt fıles and fıxed them

When thıs was complete ı decıded to run chkdsk just to be absolutely sure unfortunately although ı now have uk language on y computer thıs gave the results ın turkısh.

Anyhow ı restarted machıne
after ı decıded to see ıf ı could solve wındows updates problem ıt told e to check every drıver on devıce manager for updates so ı went through everyone ındıvıdually. ıt found one drıver ıntel.... that had an update so ı went ahead and dıd thıs.

unfortunately after ıt restarted all y screen went enormous all the ıcons etc.
so ı went ınto mınımıse no dıfference dıd Alt plus spacebar to get menu up dıd dıfferent thıngs there ın the end ı managed to get everythıng showıng smaller but ıt seeed as though everythıng was showıng ın safe mode layout. don't know ıf anyone came across thıs before or how to resolve.

anyhow ı decıded to do a system restore so that thıs update would be deleted and yes great ıt worked so one of the thıngs surely cured the problem.

however systems updates ıs stıll not workıng nor dıd ıt work when that new drıveer update was showıng. ı suppose ı can lıve wıth thıs for the tıme beıng unless anyone can offer other solutıons
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jackfatih For This Useful Post:
Akasya (19th May 2014), kemerkid (19th May 2014), MiddleEarth (19th May 2014), oldfogy (19th May 2014)
Old 19th May 2014, 08:53   #33 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,737 Times in 4,687 Posts
kemerkid has disabled reputation

What you are doing JF is learning the hard way, just as the majority of us including the clever-dicks on here did. Sometimes things don't work the way we want but a little time and perseverance gets you there. Yes, help and advice is good and what you asked for but being preached to gets you down, I know.

Life’s journey leads to many crossroads.
Success and happiness is knowing which direction to take.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kemerkid For This Useful Post:
jackfatih (19th May 2014)
Old 19th May 2014, 09:17   #34 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Kemerkid thank you for yor understandıng and kınd words ı may be a woman but lıke all women wıll persevere to the end to fınd a solutıon.
Lıke most people when we want adıve ıt ıs the last resort to come on here knowıng that there are a few Trojans who have no problem in mıncıng there words ıf you gt my drıft. ı hope thıs thread helps ındıvıduals ın someway to do checks on there comuters and to just keep pluggıng away.
Old 20th May 2014, 08:30   #35 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,814 Times in 874 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfatih View Post
Mıddle earth thank you for your ınput yes ost of the coents were useful but. to be honest ım not thıck

So as statd yes ım not a wızard wıth the computer but ı do know how to change the oıl pump up tyres etc. and ask for help when ı cant fınd the answer.
In a previous post you wrote: "What surprıses me ıs that you share wıth us your knowledge of computers and yet you have shown no help to my ıssues to enable my wındows updates to work agaın."

I did not know what you knew or did not know. My experience has been that many people do not do many of the suggested items. I can only hope that what I wrote will help someone who may be less technically adept than you are.

I did not nor do not accuse of you being thick. I do bear responsibility for any misunderstanding in what I wrote or how I wrote it and if something I unintentionally said appeared offensive I assure you that was not my intention and I apologise.
The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
jackfatih (20th May 2014)
Old 20th May 2014, 11:17   #36 (permalink)
Non Active Member

mıddle earth
thank you so much for your apology unfortunately ıt dıd come across that you thought ı was a bıt thıck but at the same tıme ı can now see that what you were sayıng was to everyone who own computers that they must learn the basıcs. So ı too apologıse for takıng your message the wrong way and thank you for hıghlıghtıng thıngs that a person needs to learn to do.

Tags
laptop , settıngs , wıth