Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 30th April 2009, 06:13   #1 (permalink)
Mack

M Plates, why do we need them?

After reading the thread about a M plate car being driven badly and indentified here BECAUSE it was an M plate, does anyone share my thoughts that its a bad idea to have a system that so clearly identifies foreign owned cars?

Mine (and many friends) cars have been damaged, more than usual , and I have been told by even the Polis that some Turks deliberately "dink" or damage M plate cars, wouldnt it be better to have the same plate system for everyone instead of putting an "Im a foreigner" sign on our vehicles?
send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
alison09400 (30th April 2009), ceemac (30th April 2009), Harem (30th April 2009), immac (30th April 2009), Lindacm (30th April 2009), nanamo (30th April 2009)
Old 30th April 2009, 06:19   #2 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,027 Posts
KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: M Plates, why do we need them?

I agree, it's a bit like the UK when we used to have a special sequence of plates for vehicles privately owned by military personnel. The government finally agreed that it made them an easy target for terrorist attacks and withdrew the system.
Old 30th April 2009, 06:29   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Plops Champion!
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,022 Posts
bobthenob has disabled reputation

l fully agree with the scrapping of plates that identifies foriegners owning the vehicle.
Having policies that doesn't intregate with the community will create an atmospere of discrimination and resentment.
Can you imagine the British using this type of system,it will be classed as racist.
l knew a person that was tail gated many times and bumped deliberately from behind at 40 mph.The person has now sold his car and now uses the public transport,due to the aggression and damage.
Old 30th April 2009, 06:53   #4 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute

The UK STILL does use the system for foreign diplomatic vehicles and those belonging to international organisations like the EU, NATO, WHO etc. You'll see them, especially in London, with plates consisting of 3 numbers , the letter D or X and 3 numbers. ie 999 D 999.

The letter D is for diplomats and the letter X for diplomatic staff.

If I remember rightly, you can identify the foreign embassy to which the vehicle is registered from the first 3 numbers.
Old 30th April 2009, 06:54   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 1,767 Times in 885 Posts
Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaKoyuOldBoy View Post
The UK STILL does use the system for foreign diplomatic vehicles and those belonging to international organisations like the EU, NATO, WHO etc. You'll see them, especially in London, with plates consisting of 3 numbers , the letter D or X and 3 numbers. ie 999 D 999.

The letter D is for diplomats and the letter X for diplomatic staff.

If I remember rightly, you can identify the foreign embassy to which the vehicle is registered from the first 3 numbers.

Yes but if I remember right they can do virtually anything they want and get away with it. I used to see them in London. Here is an old story. Google around and you'll find more.

Foreign diplomats owe 1.5m in parking fines - Telegraph

Last edited by Martyn; 30th April 2009 at 07:01..
Martyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 07:10   #6 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute

I agree too. Turkey is very 'regimentalised' ith lots of their laws, policies etc.

I did a thread a while back that showed all their categories of vehicle plates and they do like to have their systems.

I'm no fan of some human rights laws that are only made for criminals in my opinion, but a lot of Turkey's polices don't appear to have been human rights 'screened' which they will definitely have to change as part of EU assession.

The fact that this M plate system is singling out a minority grouping or identifying foreigners to those who would do them harm and to the police, army etc is a very dodgy policy and should be reviewed.

It may be worthwhile writing to the appropriate department pointing out the shortcomings of the system and asking that it be looked at, or drawing up a petition.

Maybe you wouldn't want to bring yourself under any undue notice though!!

C
Old 30th April 2009, 07:12   #7 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

Yes, so if the government isn't going to pursue them for the unpaid fines why doesn't it just stop wardens from issuing tickets. Look at all the wasted time, effort and paperwork that's being spent.

I used to run a courier depot in London and we had a huge problem with official vehicles blocking access to our premises................until our artic drivers started having "accidents". On one occasion the trailer wheels of an artic finished up neatly parked on the bonnet of a nice Volvo limo. I must admit that I was "distracted" by my mobile when I was supposed to be watching him reverse.
Old 30th April 2009, 07:16   #8 (permalink)
Mack

Perhaps we need a petition as that seems to be the only weapon that works quite well with the government here.

I agree its a rights issue but more civil rights than human rights in this case I think, it would go a long way to showing Turkey is commited to truly being a secular and integrated nation if this antiquated ruling was done away with or perhaps thats the point!
send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 07:32   #9 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

The downside of scrapping the M plates is that less tax is paid on these vehicles and one of the arguments is that Turks driving them will be harder to identify.

Personally, I've found that at Jandarma / Polis checkpoints, you're also more likely to be waved through if driving an M plated vehicle.
ceemac (30th April 2009)
Old 30th April 2009, 07:56   #10 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute

I found this via Google search;

'The only people allowed to have blue plate cars are holders of the below visas:

Work visa
Student visa
Investigation visa
Retired visa

Spouses of Turks on a normal residence or home owners on a normal residence cannot apply for blue plates'

Is it correct?

C

ps I may have got confused here - are blue plates a different system to M plates?

Last edited by ceemac; 30th April 2009 at 08:00..
ceemac is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
plates