Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th May 2009, 08:11   #1 (permalink)

PhilUK_Thailand is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy or rent a car?

Hi, we’re planning a 3 month trip to southern Turkey around mid June and intend to start off around say Kusadasi then travel south to wherever we end up. What we’re wondering is, would it be cheaper to buy a modest second hand car rather than renting one. I have no idea what second hand cars cost in Turkey but assume they wont be as cheap as in the UK.

Also can I drive in turkey with a standard UK photocard style driving license?

Or would it be cheapest just using public transport?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by PhilUK_Thailand; 6th May 2009 at 08:21.. Reason: forgot to ask something
PhilUK_Thailand is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 6th May 2009, 12:15   #2 (permalink)
Amy

Amy is on a distinguished road
Re: Buy or rent a car?

Hi Phil,
Renting a car- If you decide to rent a car for 3 months, especially in summer, you wont get a cheap price as they change prices by the season, but if the price isnt important to you, you can get either a Hyundai Gets (diesel) goes 1000 km to every full tank, at 1500 ytl a month making it 4500 ytl for your full 3 months, or a Fiat Palio at the same price, having the car sent to your arrival place with no charge, you just send your address, the plus about renting is that you can stop when ever or where ever you want.
Buying a car- If you decide to purchase a car, theres always the worry if theres a problem with it as its a second hand, although buying a second hand car would be atleast 17.500 ytl.
Using public transport- If you decide to use the public transport, not only would you loose time, as most transportation in Turkey drops and picks people up from different areas, it could be pricey if your paying for more than 2 people, and could start to add up.

UK photocard driving license- You are able to drive in Turkey with your UK photocard license

I hope i helped!

All the best for your trip,

Kind regards

Amy
Amy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 12:28   #3 (permalink)

Hi Amy thanks for your info. Crikey car hire isn’t cheap, but you’re saying it would cost about 7000 GBP to buy a car. Surely there are older cars at a cheaper price? Like you get in the UK?

There are just 2 of us so would public transport not be a cheaper option. I’m assuming you can’t drink & drive in Turkey (as you can here in Thailand) so unless we stay in a central area would need transport, a bus or whatever to get to the center?

Thanks,

Phil
PhilUK_Thailand is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 12:58   #4 (permalink)
Amy

Hi Phil,
Wow i didnt know that was allowed anywhere actually! But no, you cant drink and drive in Turkey, thats the cheapest car hire i found, but if you use local transport be sure to carry a map with you. Not only in central areas, but you can find transport in villages, but you would have to find out their time rotas, as many finish at a certain time (eg. 11:30pm) then dont leave again till the morning, if you do intend to keep in a central area, becareful with your belongings and keep a turkish phrase book on you just incase you need some help on your way. I havent seen cheap second hand cars to be honest unless they look pretty much like chitty chitty bang bang, so for your own safety id give the second hand car a ''no no'' unless someone else knows of somewhere you could purchase one cheaper, but you would then have to think about selling it before you go too!! In the central areas you would find it easier to get around via buses or ''Dolmuş's'' Dolmuş's are small minibuses which have their destinations written on the front, so even tourists cant get lost, as long as you have your trip all planned out, youll have no problems

Regards

Amy
The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
PhilUK_Thailand (6th May 2009)
Old 6th May 2009, 13:08   #5 (permalink)

Hi Amy, well officially you’re not supposed to drink & drive, but put it this way, I can drive safer after 10 bottles than the locals can sober! Lol

Thanks for all your help.

Phil
PhilUK_Thailand is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 13:13   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 4,666 Times in 1,722 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would forget about buying a second hand car as a "cheap option" as they are relatively expensive here. For example, a 15-year-old Tofas saloon (used be know as a Fiat Mirafiori in the UK) which would probably cost you a few hundred quid in the UK, is around 3,000 here. Thats due to the fact that people who buy new cars here dont change them every 2 or 3 years like lots to in the UK, hence there are relatively few second hand cars for sale as opposed to the UK market being flooded with older cars. However, it also means 2nd hand cars here do hold their value far better once you have bought one, but obviously that wont be any good for what you're wanting.
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 13:34   #7 (permalink)
Amy

Hi Phil,
LOL, i believe that!!!! Your more than welcome, glad i could help

All the best to your trip Phil

Amy
Old 6th May 2009, 13:48   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 2,228 Times in 936 Posts
Guz1 has disabled reputation

Phil,

Forget about buying a car. Apart from the cost (and they are expensive), having it registered in your name means dealing with Turkish bureaucracy.........believe me, you don't want to go down that road.

We always hire a car and the price quoted by Amy is about right....Kusadasi might even be higher. Drink driving is a definite no-no. You can expect to be breathalysed if involved in any kind of mishap - even a fender bender which are common in Turkey.

You can travel anywhere in Turkey by public transport. Train transport isn't really an option but the buses are excellent. There is a good selection of reasonably priced bus companies with services ranging from basic to luxurious.

No doubt you will find Turkey a good deal more expensive than Thailand but public transport is a lot cheaper than in Western Europe. Another advantage of travelling by bus is the opportunity to meet Turkish fellow travellers. Enjoy.

Last edited by Guz1; 6th May 2009 at 13:52..
Guz1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 14:32   #9 (permalink)

Karyn UK is just really nice Karyn UK is just really nice Karyn UK is just really nice Karyn UK is just really nice

Hi

I only recently bought a car after over four years here. I was back and forth to the UK every few months before so long term hire was cheaper for me and I didn't have the hassle of paperwork and control.

When my dear husband and I first came here we drove all over Turkey in the first 11 weeks trying to find the right place for us before we found Kirazli, so it sounds like you are doing something similar...enjoy, it was an amazing time and I have very fond memories of that adventure.

It used to be that I could hire a car for 700tl a month off season, rising to around 1000tl a month in high season with much negotiation and flagrant misuse of a wonderbra. Now it's quite a lot more (maybe the wonderbra isn't so good these days!) and the last price I had in March was 850tl so I think high season would be, around 1300-1500tl a month from one of the main car hire places in Kusadasi. It's worth going for a mainstream car hire company, their insurance cover is better. I've always used Eurocar and have no complaints. If you paid in cash, in advance, you may possibly get it cheaper.

Do try and get a diesel, it does make a helluva difference. I have one of those Hyundair Getz's now and adore it and not just because it does 950km on 100tl of diesel. Its a cute car. I am selling this one with my house but I will definately be buying another to replace it as it wasn't too expensive to buy, bearing in mind that second hand cars out here are painfully expensive.

I don't think you can beat hiring a car for exploring a new country, especially when you are on a mission like you are.

Karyn

PS Returning the car to the office you hired it from keeps the cost down, if you are picking it up here in Kusadasi and dropping it somewhere else at some point in the future you will need to factor that into the costs for hiring.

Last edited by Karyn UK; 6th May 2009 at 14:37..
Karyn UK is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karyn UK For This Useful Post:
PhilUK_Thailand (7th May 2009)

Tags
buy , car , rent