Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:57   #1 (permalink)
davlins

car entry to Turkey

Hello all. İ am looking for a definiitive answer rather than hearsay re the following issue. İ entered Turkey in early July with my car and my passport states it can remain in Turkey until 4th January 2011. However İ am going to Greece for 2 weeks in September with the intention of re entering Turkey at end of September with the same vehicle.

İ have entered Turkey with the same car now on 3 separate occasions over the past 2 years BUT NOT FOR THE FİRST TİME İ am getting advised by UK drivers that the same car is not allowed back in gto Turkey after the initial period of 6 months.

İ have attempted to get advice from The Turkish Embassy but they are less than helpful and will not provide an answer by email!

Has anyone got the definitive position re this issue from actual previous experience. Many thanks
send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:53   #2 (permalink)
PostPositive

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,147 Posts
RedBloodedHound has disabled reputation
Re: car entry to Turkey

Hi davlins,

In answer to your specific question you are allowed to come and go with your vehicle within the six months, providing you don't exceed six months in one year. Your vehicle (which is in your passport) will be 'logged' out of the country with you, when you leave.

This question crops up a lot. I had thought you could only bring your UK car in only twice in total; for six months limit in a one year period. However other members have said that they know people that have been more than twice. I also took the trouble to check as you have and cannot get a definitive answer.

The best I can find is paragraph 11.4 on this link

Buying Property - Residing in Turkey

I quote; " 11.4 Can you bring your car to Turkey?
If you visit Turkey on a tourist visa you can bring your car into Turkey and keep it up to six months in a period of 12 months. if you were to leave Turkey for some reason during your stay in Turkey you have to either take your car out of the Turkish Customs Territory or leave it at the nearest customs depot. If you choose the latter there is customs depot fee applicable."

As you can see it makes no mention of only two visits. I would read it as six months EVERY year, but It may not be. One thing I would mention is that every summer the roads are full of holidaying Turkish/German Gastarbeiter who return temporarily each summer presumably with the same foreign registered car.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful or certain; perhaps in this case it would be best to snail mail the Turkish embassy.

Campaign to bring back Elevenses.
RedBloodedHound is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedBloodedHound For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:38   #3 (permalink)

Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough Freetime28 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBloodedHound View Post
Hi davlins,

In answer to your specific question you are allowed to come and go with your vehicle within the six months, providing you don't exceed six months in one year. Your vehicle (which is in your passport) will be 'logged' out of the country with you, when you leave.

This question crops up a lot. I had thought you could only bring your UK car in only twice in total; for six months limit in a one year period. However other members have said that they know people that have been more than twice. I also took the trouble to check as you have and cannot get a definitive answer.

The best I can find is paragraph 11.4 on this link

Buying Property - Residing in Turkey

I quote; " 11.4 Can you bring your car to Turkey?
If you visit Turkey on a tourist visa you can bring your car into Turkey and keep it up to six months in a period of 12 months. if you were to leave Turkey for some reason during your stay in Turkey you have to either take your car out of the Turkish Customs Territory or leave it at the nearest customs depot. If you choose the latter there is customs depot fee applicable."

As you can see it makes no mention of only two visits. I would read it as six months EVERY year, but It may not be. One thing I would mention is that every summer the roads are full of holidaying Turkish/German Gastarbeiter who return temporarily each summer presumably with the same foreign registered car.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful or certain; perhaps in this case it would be best to snail mail the Turkish embassy.
Different rules for German nationals, i believe they can come & go with cars as they please.
Freetime28 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:19   #4 (permalink)

myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know if that is applicable to tourist visa only. Our car has to leave in December, out for 6 months and then back for 6 months, as we have residence visa does this mean we could not then bring it back again.
myrajane is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:31   #5 (permalink)

istanbul pikey is a jewel in the rough istanbul pikey is a jewel in the rough istanbul pikey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime28 View Post
Different rules for German nationals, i believe they can come & go with cars as they please.
Nope. Same rules apply!
istanbul pikey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:52   #6 (permalink)
PostPositive

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,147 Posts
RedBloodedHound has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrajane View Post
Does anyone know if that is applicable to tourist visa only. Our car has to leave in December, out for 6 months and then back for 6 months, as we have residence visa does this mean we could not then bring it back again.
Hi myrajane,

That is also in paragraph 11.4 of the link I posted earlier.

I quote; "In accordance with the Turkish Customs Regulations you cannot bring your car into Turkey with a resident permit unless you have a work permit and a job in Turkey or you are a retired person. If you are in employment, you need to submit a letter from your employer ensuring that all customs duties will be paid if the car is not taken out of Turkey once your employment in Turkey terminates. You have to apply for a special plate for foreigners who work in Turkey."

Campaign to bring back Elevenses.
RedBloodedHound is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedBloodedHound For This Useful Post:
myrajane (11th September 2010)
Old 20th May 2011, 13:32   #7 (permalink)

Fastlady has a spectacular aura about Fastlady has a spectacular aura about

I specifically took out a Resident's Permit before I brought my car into Turkey so that I wouldn't have to take it out when my 90 day visa expired. I had no problems bringing it in on an RP.
I had to leave the country for 10 days and left the car at Dalaman Gumruk - again no problems picking it up again on my return to Turkey - and I was given the 10 days back again, ie, my car was allowed to stay for 6 months and 10 days!
Old 16th June 2011, 14:05   #8 (permalink)

Is there any update on the length of time a foreign car can stay in Turkey. I know it was originally 6 months or up to 2 years for a retired person, but I seem to remember there was a thread about the period being extended to 2 years for anyone. I've looked at turing.org but nothing new on there as far as I can see....
Old 16th June 2011, 15:11   #9 (permalink)

myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough

You can bring a car into Turkey for 180 days after which you must take it out for 185, I have already started a thread about this.

My husband will be phoning the rep who helped him at Customs in Bodrum and she is going to ask if you can bring the car in indefinitiley as long as its only 180 days.

This is the 2nd time our car has been in the country and it was brought in on a residents permit not a tourist visa.

If you are retired you can bring a car in but you have to put a large deposit down which is returnable when the car leaves the country, you must be retired and show all documents but I think that this is quite difficult to do.

If you leave the country for a few weeks it must go to the compound for that time but you will gain that time back.
myrajane is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 13:02   #10 (permalink)

I have just heard that apparently, the law has changed with regard to bringing cars into Turkey from the UK and that right-hand drive cars are no longer allowed on Turkish roads! Can anyone verify whether this is fact or hearsay please.
Thank you!

Tags
car , entry , turkey