Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 8th August 2011, 00:49   #1 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,820 Times in 2,183 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
More of a tidy-up than anything and maybe it can be moved to the beginning of the thread to replace the existing one. Thanks.

Holiday, Travel and Property insurance companies

This list is just to be able to give you a list of companies to save you having to search for them.
Obviously there are other companies but they have not been omitted for any particular reason.

1) The companies at the top of the list are known to have been used by people who may suffer from one or more medical conditions including minor medical problems that require reporting to the insurance company to be able to be covered or those members did disclose their medical problems.

2) The second part of this list are companies that deal with various types of insurance some including medical conditions.

3) The list at the end are companies that have been mentioned with regards to either Property and DASK insurance in Turkey.

4) When doing a on-line quote Turkey is often classed as being in the Europe category.

N.B.
Failing to report a known medical condition could render the whole policy void.

Holiday & Travel insurance companies previously used by known 'TLF' members.

Age Concern (Over 65)

All Clear

American Express

Best Buy Travel Insurance

BMC (British Mountaineering Council) 10 registration fee if you just want to use their insurance service.

Columbus Direct

Direct Travel Insurance

Insure and Go

Marks and Spencer

SAGA Over 50s)

Staysure

Other Holiday & Travel insurance companies which may or may not have previously been used.

Admiral

Aviva

AXA

Churchill

Comparethemarket.com

Confused.com

Directline

Endsleigh

Essential Travel

Global Travel Insurance

Go Compare

Good To Go Insurance

HSBC

Infinity

Insurefor.com

Insure Me4

Insure MyTrip

KwikFit

Liverpool Victoria (LV)

MoneySupermarket.com

More Than

Post Office

Prudential

Sigortam

Travelcover

The AA

The Co-operative Insurance

Uswitch

World Nomads

Holiday Home, Second Home and DASK insurance in Turkey

Aegean Insurance Direct (AID)

Ak Sigorta

Anadolu Sigorta

Aviva Sigorta AS

AXA

AXA Sigorta

Burcu & Fethiye and use Burcu at Bermant, down the side of Migros (0252 614 0125)

Dalaman Insurance

Ergo

Intasure (Holiday Home ins)
This is for people living in the UK but have holiday homes in Turkey

caveat emptor
This list has been compiled simply to make it easier to go directly to any of these sites and in no way is a recommendation.

Last edited by newhorizon; 17th February 2012 at 06:24.. Reason: merged 2 lists, deleted 1st list as req, added word 'often' in relation to where 'Turkey' may be found on Insurance websites.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
culturevulture (8th August 2011), englandsrose2 (8th August 2011), EVELYNNE (8th August 2011), funlife (8th August 2011), jandj (23rd August 2011), Sunny Seasider (8th August 2011), ted j (8th August 2011)
Old 8th August 2011, 06:42   #2 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: travel insurance

I've moved your post over oldfogy from the Test area and merged it with this one, hope that's ok.

Travel insurance is a funny one ..for years and I mean years I travelled without it worldwide, now I have been drawn into the insurance culture and have bought it for the last 6-7 years. Baggage damage I always got airlines to rectify my damaged suitcases, luckily for me they always replaced with a brand new updated better model (as often mine was obsolete -old samsonite).

I usually buy worldwide (inc USA & Canada) annual, multiple trip. At first went with the cheapest think it was something like 30 quid for the entire year with some company like topdog, however if I'd needed to have claimed not sure i'd have bothered as the cover wasn't great and excess high.

I have now been with American Express (not the cheapest) by a long shot but seemed to have more the cover I wanted with laptops covered, stranded abroad cover and more cash cover, with declared pre-medical conditions (minor -like plantar fasciatis, back ache). Customer service good. Did have to make a claim last year and the claims service was exceptional, even flew my back home Business Class!

I did claim once with another company think it was Columbus, for a Turkey holiday - no probs, small claim (100-150) apart from excess was 50.

I think the key to any successful claim is how good your paperwork (evidence) is to support your claim.

Last edited by newhorizon; 15th February 2012 at 21:51.. Reason: added claims experience
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 07:24   #3 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,118 Times in 9,997 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Holiday Insurance List

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
This list of insurance companies is just to be able to give you a list of companies to save you having to search for them.
Obviously there are other companies but they have not been omitted for any particular reason.

caveat emptor
This list is my own work and in no way is a recommendation of any of the companies and is up to the user to decide for themselves who they should use.

Thank you Oldfogy for taking the time to do this, it would be a good idea to have this as a thread of it's own for reference.

Old 8th August 2011, 07:36   #4 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Seasider View Post

Thank you Oldfogy for taking the time to do this, it would be a good idea to have this as a thread of it's own for reference.

I had originally merged the post from Test Area with the other travel insurance thread
travel insurance

in this sub-forum, have now separated it into its own thread and added a couple more insurance companies in the used by TLF members list. However, if you wish to remove any insurance companies and add in general list -let me know as the 2 companies I added I personally have only minor pre-medical conditions declared with no probs.

Have also put it as a sticky for reference.

Last edited by newhorizon; 8th August 2011 at 08:00..
The Following User Says Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (8th August 2011)
Old 8th August 2011, 07:39   #5 (permalink)
evelynne

Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,103 Posts
EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute EVELYNNE has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou for taking the time to compile all this I really appreciate it.

Eve
EVELYNNE is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 07:42   #6 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,118 Times in 9,997 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhorizon View Post
I had originally merged the post from Test Area with the other travel insurance thread
travel insurance

in this sub-forum, have now separated it into its own thread and put it as a sticky for reference.

Thank You, I hadn't noticed the new thread, it is rather early in the day, lol.

Old 8th August 2011, 14:15   #7 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,820 Times in 2,183 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: travel insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhorizon View Post
Baggage damage I always got airlines to rectify my damaged suitcases, luckily for me they always replaced with a brand new updated better model (as often mine was obsolete -old samsonite).
What a lot of people do not realise is that most large airports actually have a whole warehouse size stockroom of every different type of bag and suitcase that you can think of "well I know for definitely Birmingham airport have or at least used to have as I have unfortunately been in it on 2 separate occasions"

But there is a system you must follow, which is to bring the damaged item to the attention of the airport staff "BEFORE" leaving the arrivals area.
If you do not you will not be able to prove that the damage occurred at the airport or during transit and makes your claim a lot more difficult.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 14:48   #8 (permalink)

Elvira is just really nice Elvira is just really nice Elvira is just really nice Elvira is just really nice

Would anyone know whether or not you have to be a UK resident ? as those words feature a lot on the adverts in UK newspapers.I bought travel insurance from Expedia as I had booked with them.We travelled from Turkey to Thailand where I received hospital treatment but they wouldn't pay out as I am not resident in UK-even though they sent all travel docs here.
Elvira is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Would anyone know whether or not you have to be a UK resident ? as those words feature a lot on the adverts in UK newspapers.I bought travel insurance from Expedia as I had booked with them.We travelled from Turkey to Thailand where I received hospital treatment but they wouldn't pay out as I am not resident in UK-even though they sent all travel docs here.
I don't know Elvira, you would have to read the small print of T&C of your insurance. I assume you would have to be resident of the country you took the insurance out with.

A point about one of the Insurance companies on this list (Amex) that I added

I have just returned from 6 weeks trip to India and during that time my back pain got worse.I had disclosed this problem on my Insurance. I made a trip to doc's and though 1 treatment would be enough but found there have some lengthy procedures here, so contacted my insurance company American Express -who requested a medical report before they could state if they covered me or not. Within 24hours of me sending the report they agreed to the treatment and gave me the go ahead.

Then 3 days before my flight back they called to see how I was feeling and then called again 1 day before the flight. They were concerned if I could fly or not, I said I would be fine, but they decided to upgrade my flight all the way (all sectors) to Business Class and even arranged transport back home (that got messed up as Insurance was dealing with it I had to wait 1 day longer in India to get the upgrade due to extra paperwork and upgrade fees being paid) Then Emirates drove me back in a chauffeur driven car home as they do all Business passengers. To say they have been prompt, caring is an under statement.

I can see now how American Express has won so many awards in Travel Insurance, the policy is underwritten by AXA, So i was dealing with a team in Barcelona who were superb. I just hope the claim procedure will be just as straight forward.

The bottom line is when buying insurance or certainly before you travel ensure you disclose any medical conditions and if seeking treatment abroad first check the insurance will cover you for it before you spend too much money.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:01   #10 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Just updated this list with details of companies that members of TLF have used and claimed from successfully.

The newly added companies are:-

American Express (handled by AXA Assist if abroad)

Columbus Direct

StaySure

Please note this is not an endorsement or recommendation of these companies, but its just members sharing their experiences after using said companies. The full list in at the start of this thread.

The success of each claim will boil down to:

-did you declare any pre-existing medical conditions
-how comprehensive the level of cover is
-if you kept receipts
-if you sought approval of treatments etc before going ahead

Clear documentation and good communication will be the key to every successful claim. Hopefully you won't need to claim -but if you do, make sure you are covered.

Tags
holiday , insurance , list , travel insurance