Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 2nd June 2014, 08:49   #1 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Airport Lounges at Istanbul

Just back from Turkey with an overnight stop in Istanbul before early morning connecting flight.

Thought I'd share my experience, not up to sleeping on the chairs in the airport I decided to check out a few airport lounges on the spot (no pre booking or planning!) Having only 7 hours between flight landing at Istanbul at 1.00am I didn't think booking a hotel was worth it as the connecting flight left at 8.00am.

Enquired at a few lounges; Turkish Airlines (THY) lounge was for Elite Plus members only. So enquired at Millenium, Comfort and HSBC (members only) lounges upstairs and Prime Class Lounge (downstairs). Most charge 40 Euros per person including children.
as I had my child with me I opted for the cheapest which was Millenium Lounge at 25 Euros each, they charged me 120 Turkish Lira for two of us which at current exchange rate was about £34 for 2 which I thought wasn't bad and cheaper than the airport hotel which was £110.

So
what do you get :-
Free wi fi, tv, newspapers, comfy sofas
snacks -sandwiches, soup, pastries, fresh fruit, drinks, including alcoholic, newspapers

What you don't get :
no showers
no toilets in the lounge have to go out (but they are just outside)
no beds or recliners)-but people had joined 2 sofas up together and a few people were sleeping, but I couldn't get comfortable despite trying a few sofa + sofa, sofa + soft stool + sofa combinations etc.

The Wings Prime Class lounge [40 Euros each] downstairs does have showers, so maybe next time I will try that.

If anyone has any experiences of other lounges or comfortable places one can sleep for less than 9 hours between connecting flights please share your experience.

Last edited by newhorizon; 2nd June 2014 at 10:00..
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
akbukowl (2nd June 2014), Heathere (2nd June 2014), Jan1 (2nd June 2014), janA (2nd June 2014), johny (2nd June 2014), lippy (2nd June 2014), niamh (2nd June 2014), reergd (2nd June 2014), Travelling Wife (6th June 2014)
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:49   #2 (permalink)
CJD

CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of
Re: Airport Lounges at Istanbul

prime class was excellent. showers, toilets, recliners excellent hot & cold food
pastries,fresh fruit. Hot, cold and alcoholic beverages. tv,wifi newspapers
altogether a great way to pass a 7 hour wait
newhorizon (2nd June 2014)
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:58   #3 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to try Prime Class next time Carol, Thanks.

It looked inviting and guy on reception was friendly and very helpful, in some private lounges eg THY the female staff didn't appear as helpful as they could have been. The female staff on Millenium reception was helpful and smiling..so that helps after a long flight in the early hours.

The only reason I opted for cheaper one as they were charging full price for children too, so it would have been 80 Euros at Prime Class for 2 ; 1 adult + child) and at that price I may as well have booked a hotel.

Next time!! Thanks
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:17   #4 (permalink)
Sun Worshipper

Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of

Have used the HSBC lounge once overnight. No complaints whatsoever. Have no hesitation in using it again if needed.
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:25   #5 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Tommie I asked at HSBC they said it was for members only.

Do you know what type of member do you need to be? I have a normal HSBC account but nothing else.
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:45   #6 (permalink)
Sun Worshipper

Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhorizon View Post
Tommie I asked at HSBC they said it was for members only.

Do you know what type of member do you need to be? I have a normal HSBC account but nothing else.
I have a UK HSBC CC. Costs nothing to get. I think they charge 20 USD for entrance.

Why oh why don't Turks use Tl for pricing???
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:47   #7 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 19,380 Times in 8,357 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

You can use the HSBC lounge at Istanbul by either being a premier customer or having a HSBC advance credit card.

The lounge is dated and not the best, but is ok for free

HSBC Advance Credit Cards
Supplementary credit cards for your beloved ones with no annual fee
Fast, reliable way to pay
Accepted at over 24 million places worldwide
In addition to all the domestic HSBC Bank Branches and ATMs you can also withdraw a Cash Advance from the ATMs of all other banks.
With HSBC Bank Telephone Banking and Personal Internet Banking you can withdraw a cash advance from your credit card and transfer it to your demand deposit account.
You can easily pay for your charges.
You can enjoy the benefits of the Advantage CashPoints and Advantage TravelPoints programs.
You can benefit from the elegantly appointed HSBC Club Lounge located in the International Departures Terminal of Istanbul Atatürk Airport with a guest without paying an entrance fee. With your HSBC Advance Credit Card, you can also enjoy a 30 % discount at BTA, Divan Pub-Sky Restaurant and English Pub.
In the event articles you have purchased with your card are damaged or your card is stolen or lost, you can make use of the free Emergency Card Replacement and Cash Advance Services as part of our Lost-Stolen and Shopping Guarantee.*
You can receive supplementary cards with no annual fees for any number of persons without the requirement that they be related to you, and you can set the limit and cash advance withdrawal authorization for these cards within your established limit.
You may enjoy the peace of mind and convenience of emergency, advisory and concierge services in case you have health problems or accidents when you travel abroad. *
Personal Accident Insurance: You can take advantage of our 50,000 USD Personal Accident Insurance policy and 10,000 USD in medical treatment coverage in the event of an accident in Turkey or abroad.*
Lost/Delayed Luggage Insurance: Benefit from 500 USD in lost luggage insurance and 100 USD in delayed luggage insurance in Turkey and abroad.*
Platinum MasterCard® Collection: You will have the advantage of special discounts, privileges and sightseeing programs at world-class hotels, stores, restaurants, car rental agencies, and health and fitness clubs in Turkey and abroad.
* To learn more about terms and conditions, details and limits of the services, please call 0850 211 0 111.
All rates are quoted per month, unless otherwise stated, and are subject to change.

3 Trophies in 10 days

Last edited by yalimart; 2nd June 2014 at 10:49.. Reason: .
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
airport , chp , istanbul , lounges , millenium lounge , prime class , thy lounge