Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Planes, Trains and Automobiles....

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2014, 21:06   #1 (permalink)

janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all
hospitality lounges Istanbul airport

This may sound thick but I am a little confused. We are flying through Istanbul Ataturk next month and have 9 hours inbetween flights so hoping to use one of the hospitality lounges. Now are the lounges before checkin?, as I we will have our cases with us and cannot see them letting us through without checking in the cases first and wont be able to check in till 2 hours before?
janA is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to janA For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 21:38   #2 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 20,691 Times in 10,677 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hospitality lounges Istanbul airport

Afraid I can’t help you on this but we are in exactly the same situation next month – just hate those overnight layovers

But I'm pretty sure that the lounges are after checking your luggage thru - but why not check your bags straight to your final destination?

Checking their website there are a number of lounges but it seems that one has to be a privileged bank member/ frequent flyer to gain access – or can one just pay an exorbitant fee to have a cozy chair & a ‘free’ breakfast? Probably cheaper and less stressful than booking into an airport hotel though.

Lounge Services

Hope you don’t mind me piggy backing you on this, perhaps we'll meet up for a game of cards to pass the time. Keep a look out for a guy with a big hat, a ridiculously young wife and a very small dog

Last edited by Jaycey; 26th November 2014 at 21:41..
Jaycey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
janA (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 21:50   #3 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a map of the various airport lounges found at departures Ataturk Istanbul airport:-

http://www.ataturkairport.com/tr-TR/...ents/gidis.pdf

I had few hours ( about 7) layover once and these a few lounges I found out about:-

Airport Lounges at Istanbul

In case you want to try an overnight hotel I recommend Holiday Inn Airport Istanbul for price and comfort, though not the nearest. I used it last month for a 9 hour layover, well worth it!

Here's link to hotel in case anyone needs to know more:-

Overnight Istanbul Hotel near Airport
Jaycey (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 21:54   #4 (permalink)

Brinsley has a spectacular aura about Brinsley has a spectacular aura about

I've already posted on this forum the following taken from C44 forum in 2011 so, price wise, will be out of date.

For those that maybe stuck in transit at Ataturk airport, Istanbul for any length of time this maybe of interest. Rather than paying exorbitant prices at the bars/restaurants (Efes 18TL pint) try the 'Wings Primeclass' lounge. For a one off entry fee of €35, newspapers, tea & coffee, soft drinks, wine beers & spirits, cold food buffet with sandwiches and free Internet access are all inclusive. The comfortable, quiet lounge is two floors down underneath the 'smoking area' terrace.

If flying THY on a connecting flight more than five hours they used to offer a free tour of Istanbul but check if they still do!
Brinsley is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brinsley For This Useful Post:
howardian (27th November 2014), Jaycey (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 22:09   #5 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,368 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Mmm, I thought you could only use these lounges for a maximum of 3 hours, so might also be worth checking that out, especially as they are after check-in so as said earlier, check-in opens usually only 2 hours beforehand, and the benefit of the lounge is mainly for when planes are delayed.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
janA (26th November 2014), Jaycey (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 22:12   #6 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

Prime Class Wings did look nice when I saw it, I checked a few lounges out this year. Yes you're right prices have gone up since it was 40 euros each.

Its worth noting all these lounges just have comfy chairs and finger food sandwiches etc (Not quite the full range of foods offered compared to some lounges e.g Emirates lounge where fresh hot and cold food are served 24 hours) if you need to sleep and stretch your legs fully you're better off with a cheap hotel if you have at least 9 hours.
janA (26th November 2014), Jaycey (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 22:14   #7 (permalink)

janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all janA is a name known to all

We are flying with 2 different airlines, Turkish airlines then Atlasjet so will have to pick our luggage up, the dates we fly Jacey are 28/29th, Brinsley this is what I am trying to find out, is the wings primeclass after checking in? we will have to check in before going through passport control. Dont really want to book into a hotel and leave the airport with my habit of deep sleeping lol
janA is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
Mmm, I thought you could only use these lounges for a maximum of 3 hours, so might also be worth checking that out, especially as they are after check-in so as said earlier, check-in opens usually only 2 hours beforehand, and the benefit of the lounge is mainly for when planes are delayed.

i used one of these lounges for 7 hours earlier this year oldfogy, so you can use for more than 3 hours, each one may have their own restrictions.
But 7 hours overnight was hard going..there only so much free wi fi, newspapers and snacks you can consume, so last month when I had a layover checked into a hotel was much better in my overnight circumstances!
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
janA (26th November 2014)
Old 26th November 2014, 22:21   #9 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,368 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
How long can I stay in a lounge?
In most lounges the maximum length of stay is 3 hours. We do offer some extended lounges with 4 or 5 hours of access. The access time for each lounge is displayed during the booking process.
FAQs - Airport Lounges

Although this is not for Turkey, but just confirms my earlier post of making sure beforehand.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:24   #10 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

You can only make sure by checking with the lounge itself most people I've met in lounges all had layovers of 3-5 hours or more.

For up to 3 hours hardly worth the $40Euro price with what some of the Turkish airport lounges offer.

Tags
airport , hospitality , istanbul , lounges