Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Planes, Trains and Automobiles....

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2014, 13:41   #1 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,369 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Advance Passenger Information (API)

I recently raised a question with a travel company (TravelRepublic) that I booked a holiday with which was with regards to the location link to their API link.
The carrier for the flight is going to be with Monarch airlines.

To be told that Monarch do not require it and it will be taken care of on the day at the airport.
(Unfortunately the link to the information is now unavailable, as it seems their system does not keep a copy of the comment once it has been read and I did not print it out)

However, if I go to the Monarch website there is a link to their API registration, so does anyone know why this is as I thought all flight providers now had to get us to complete the Advance Passenger Information (API).

So before I digress (as below) I thought this API was mandatory across the board, 'obviously I was wrong' but what do other people know or have to comment on the API situation.

Now for the Rant:

On a slightly off-putting note, I later rechecked the cost and details only to find that if I had booked direct with Monarch it would have actually been just a tad cheaper. (but only initially by about 2)

And as for TravelRepublics information in general, I am far from impressed and doubt very much if I will ever use them again, one of the reasons is as with the comment above.
Another reason is on my booking details their header states
'Booking 90xxxx02 does not belong to your account.' when in fact it is my booking reference number.
In-flight meals at 17.50 whereas Monarch stated 5 each way on their own site, (yes I know, these independent companies have to make their money somehow or other)
And a few other web related problems with links back to their site which then state 'OOPs we seem to have hit a problem' etc etc
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 9th December 2014, 13:48   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,860 Posts
evo80 has disabled reputation
Re: Advance Passenger Information (API)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
I recently raised a question with a travel company (TravelRepublic) that I booked a holiday with which was with regards to the location link to their API link.
The carrier for the flight is going to be with Monarch airlines.

To be told that Monarch do not require it and it will be taken care of on the day at the airport.
(Unfortunately the link to the information is now unavailable, as it seems their system does not keep a copy of the comment once it has been read and I did not print it out)

However, if I go to the Monarch website there is a link to their API registration, so does anyone know why this is as I thought all flight providers now had to get us to complete the Advance Passenger Information (API).

So before I digress (as below) I thought this API was mandatory across the board, 'obviously I was wrong' but what do other people know or have to comment on the API situation.

Now for the Rant:

On a slightly off-putting note, I later rechecked the cost and details only to find that if I had booked direct with Monarch it would have actually been just a tad cheaper. (but only initially by about 2)

And as for TravelRepublics information in general, I am far from impressed and doubt very much if I will ever use them again, one of the reasons is as with the comment above.
Another reason is on my booking details their header states
'Booking 90xxxx02 does not belong to your account.' when in fact it is my booking reference number.
In-flight meals at 17.50 whereas Monarch stated 5 each way on their own site, (yes I know, these independent companies have to make their money somehow or other)
And a few other web related problems with links back to their site which then state 'OOPs we seem to have hit a problem' etc etc
Give Monarch a call . 015825 56333
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 13:54   #3 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,759 Times in 3,146 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer we travelled one way with Monarch and one way with Thomas Cook, we only had to provide advanced passenger info with Monarch, they are misleading when they imply it is a legal requirement, but I have to add the check in was really fast as a result.
IbrahimAbi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 14:17   #4 (permalink)
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
Last summer we travelled one way with Monarch and one way with Thomas Cook, we only had to provide advanced passenger info with Monarch, they are misleading when they imply it is a legal requirement, but I have to add the check in was really fast as a result.
Hi there, can you elaborate any where you say 'they are misleading when they imply it is a legal requirement'. because yes for a long time I have always thought that also, but information on the internet is not very clear.

I did read once that there was a 10 charge for not completing the information prior to getting to the airport.
Which last year made me a bit wary until I discovered I could only print it out within 7 days prior to flying.

A bit like people not printing out their tickets when flying with a ticketed airline and not a ticket-less airline.

And people wonder why I much prefer to walk into a travel agent and let them do all the work (at a cost obviously)
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 14:29   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 4,837 Times in 1,775 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

This may be useful

Advance_Passenger_Information_System Advance_Passenger_Information_System
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 14:45   #6 (permalink)
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabaris1 View Post
Thanks, I had actually read that yesteday but it didn't seem to tell me what I wanted (do I even know what I want?)

However, registering the API seems to be taken care of if not previously done on-line, as it has been stated at a few sites that it will be and can done at check-in 'up-to' 2 hours before departure (even though they may not always send it onwards until after departure) so at least that alleviates one possible problem, especially as I always arrive in plenty of time (unlike my mate who believes he has the right to arrive at the last minute) I know he will be reading this.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:48   #7 (permalink)

villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

It basically says if you are travelling to the UK or from the UK you need to supply it.
Even if you didnt, it also says Turkey requires it so bottom line is unless your airline tells you different it is required.
I would certainly go with what the airline says as opposed to what an agent says.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:54   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Yes thanks,

But as I said in my last post, it seems to be taken care of with 'still' being able to do it at check-in.
Which 'I think' will even be the same for ticket-less airlines because you still have to queue to get a boarding pass, so it can probably be done then for those that still need to register.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:57   #9 (permalink)

Personally I would rather do it in advance and cut out any element of doubt - especially if faced with a Jobsworth at airport check-in who decides you cant fly!
Maybe the clue is in the title..ADVANCED passenger information as opposed to Turn up on the day as normal information.
Old 9th December 2014, 15:16   #10 (permalink)
Just passing through

Yes I totally agree with you, which was why I was trying to do it over the week-end, but no joy.

And my information request from TravelReplublic is no longer available telling me to do it at the airport during check-in, so can't print that out.

I was going to say that it's beginning to look as if this API phenominome only applies to flights booked directly through a airlines own company, but then remembered on the last two flights this year to Morocco and Egypt both flying with Thomson but booked independently still accepted the API.

Maybe, just maybe, another reason to use a different supplier next time who hopefully have their act together more-so than TR.

So what with 9 pages of various booking pages (plus my own travel insurance documents) who said ticket-less is the way to go.

I don't know, first time of using this company and not even got there and I'm moaning about them already, but at least I know the hotel will be good when I do get there, (Otel Burak Altinkum)

Tags
advance , api , information , passenger