Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 18th February 2015, 07:10   #1 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 19,380 Times in 8,357 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Istanbul International Transit Process

I am looking to book some flights from Manchester to Singapore and Hong Kong to Manchester for early next year.
There are a number of airlines offering single touch down flights such as Turkish, Qatar, Emirates that fit my requirements regarding price, I would need to drink less champagne for a year to book with Singapore or Cathay whose prices are prohibitive to say the least.
Emirates fits the bill other than the seats get slated as being particularly narrow and that's disappointing as I really fancied trying out the A380, so that leaves the other 2 and they are both tempting.
Turkish is cheaper and the miles and smiles points earned will add up to a free Manchester to Bodrum return flight.

So to my question Has anyone travelled through the Istanbul transit passenger process on a single ticket flying Turkish all the way ? and is it seemless ? The Turkish airlines website states there is no need to go through passport control or security again.

I have done the single ticket Manchester to Bodrum many times, but that is a completely different process, albeit sometimes onerous.

Thanks for any input

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 18th February 2015, 10:53   #2 (permalink)
No Clique just Creak

flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold
Re: Istanbul International Transit Process

I am doing Man to Dalaman via Istanbul on Turkish airlines and we still have to go through passport control on arrival and the make our way to domestic terminal. Hope we have enough time or can get fast tracked.
flowerpotman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 12:45   #3 (permalink)

eshek is just really nice eshek is just really nice eshek is just really nice eshek is just really nice

International transit passengers are not required to go through customs/passport control, however they do check your boarding pass for the next stage of the journey.

You go through a separate "International Transfer" sign - they check your Boarding Pass and you re-enter the departure area.

It can get busy.
yalimart (18th February 2015)
Old 18th February 2015, 16:43   #4 (permalink)

lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold

Hubby flew Bham to Istanbul then on to India no problem
lesley northall is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lesley northall For This Useful Post:
yalimart (18th February 2015)
Old 18th February 2015, 19:29   #5 (permalink)
moortenerife

moortenerife will become famous soon enough

We fly from Manchester or Edinburgh every couple of months to Northern Cyprus, with Turkish Airlines. We have an hour transfer time and this is always enough time to get to the gate with a quick trip to Duty Free and a coffee or soft drink. The last couple of times the queue through International transfer security was extremely quick, the first time I booked I was worried that we wouldn't make the plane in time but we have done it several times with no worries whatsoever. Turkish Airlines are a really good airline to travel on and their food is some of the best I have ever had on board. Hope you enjoy your flight.
moortenerife is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moortenerife For This Useful Post:
yalimart (19th February 2015)
Old 18th February 2015, 19:34   #6 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 19,380 Times in 8,357 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I have done quite a bit of research and flown Turkish loads of times, but never had to do the transit bit at Istanbul, we would have around 2 hours 40 minutes on the ground and would wish to use the lounge as it is very very highly rated, be a shame to spend our time queueing.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 07:07   #7 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,814 Times in 874 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation
Cool Re: Istanbul International Transit Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpotman View Post
I am doing Man to Dalaman via Istanbul on Turkish airlines and we still have to go through passport control on arrival and the make our way to domestic terminal. Hope we have enough time or can get fast tracked.
How much time is there between your flights?
THY international flights which connect with Turkish domestic and end in Turkey usually give ample time to make the connection.

Even at its busiest it never took me more than 30 minutes and often less time to get through the zig-zag passport control lines. Things may have changed in the last couple of years.

When you get to Dalaman, you will land at the domestic terminal and THEN they will take you on a shuttle to the international terminal to get your luggage. Ask them about this in IST in case this has changed. I presume you know about Havaş bus from Dalaman to Fethiye or Marmaris?
Old 19th February 2015, 08:48   #8 (permalink)

niamh has a spectacular aura about niamh has a spectacular aura about niamh has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone ever had an overnight transit at Istanbul Atatürk? My Edinburgh Dalaman flight lands at Istanbul at midnight and connecting flight is roughly 6 hours later. I'm happy to stay in a lounge and read for that time rather than the hassle and expense of a hotel. Anyone been in similar situation? Did your luggage go straight through? Which lounge did you use?
niamh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 08:54   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,719 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEarth View Post
When you get to Dalaman, you will land at the domestic terminal and THEN they will take you on a shuttle to the international terminal to get your luggage. Ask them about this in IST in case this has changed. I presume you know about Havaş bus from Dalaman to Fethiye or Marmaris?
Its still the case with both Turkish Airlines and Pegasus. There is always someone at the bottom of the steps at Dalaman domestic arrivals checking international passengers names on their list and directing them onto the shuttle bus across to international for customs clearance.

Also the last couple of times we have come home in winter the customs guys insist on putting your suitcases through the security scanner before you leave the building. Interestingly they didnt put hand luggage through, just hold luggage.
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
international , istanbul , process , transit