Can insurance in Turkey
when you insure a uk car in turkey do you have to name all the drivers or anyone with the licence can drive the car?

jimmy1969

Can insurance in Turkey
Re: insurance in turkey

the simple answer is no as the paperwork has the name of drivers allowed to drive

Can insurance in Turkey

the simple answer is no as the paperwork has the name of drivers allowed to drive

by paper work do you mean insurance?
in the uk the car is in my wife,s name with my name also on the insurance
can i have the same with the turkish insurance?

Can insurance in Turkey

by paper work do you mean insurance?
in the uk the car is in my wife,s name with my name also on the insurance
can i have the same with the turkish insurance?

Mr Familiar - can I please be nosy and ask the reasons for you taking insurance out in Turkey rather than in the UK ? Is it because you are resident in Turkey.

Can insurance in Turkey

Mr Familiar - can I please be nosy and ask the reasons for you taking insurance out in Turkey rather than in the UK ? Is it because you are resident in Turkey.

i thought it was compulsory to take out turkish insurance.
i will of course take one out in the uk

catweazle

Can insurance in Turkey

As you are tailking about a UK car then it would be insured with UK insurance and a green card to cover Europe and turkey, there would be no reason to insure it in turkey, and don't forget it can only stay in turkey for 6 months...

Can insurance in Turkey

it depends on the registration plate
a turkish owned and registered car the car is insured, a yabanci car (USUALLY MB plate) only immediate family with same name and named driver, no turk allowed to drive, a foreign registered vehicle, green card and insurance at border 6 months maximum stay allowed.

Can insurance in Turkey
it depends on the registration plate
a turkish owned and registered car the car is insured, a yabanci car (USUALLY MB plate) only immediate family with same name and named driver, no turk allowed to drive, a foreign registered vehicle, green card and insurance at border 6 months maximum stay allowed.

"green card and insurance at border"
THAT,S THE KIND OF MIXED MESSAGES THAT I AM REEIVING.
DO I HAVE TO INSURE AT THE BORDER OR MY GREEN CARD FROM UK WILL BE ENOUGH.
THE CAR IS IN MY WIFE,S NAME BUT BOTH OUR NAMES ARE IN THE INSURANCE POLICY.
IT IS A UK REGISTERED CAR AND WE ARE NOT RESIDENT IN TURKEY .JUST VISITING.

Can insurance in Turkey
[QUOTE=mrfamiliar;988477

Mr Familiar - as previously stated there is no need to be involved in buying insurance at the Turkish border as long as you get sorted out in the UK.

I do this trip twice each year and have done so for the past 10 years. Get yourself insured in the UK and get a green card for Turkey. This green card is essentially an A4 size sheet of paper which gives full details of your car, drivers covered under your insurance , period covered ( which must be less than 6 months) and countries covered etc

It is better to have the registered owner as the first name on the green card.

Depending on who your insurer is, the cost of the green card will vary. As previously stated, I am with Saga and I insure with them because the cover in Turkey is exactly the same as in UK - comprehensive. Also they are extremely flexible re the length of the green card, I get 2 or 3 per year and they dont charge for the green card . Most companies do not offer the same flexibility annd most also charge. The only other company I know of who are as flexible as Saga is NFU - but NFU are generally more expensive. Saga are very competitive all round .

With the above, there is no need to bother about buying insurance at the border.

Last edited:

kemerkid

Bystander
Can insurance in Turkey
WIDDRINGTON, you say you have been bringing a UK vehicle into Turkey for the last 10 years. Have you ever had a claim and accident damage repaired here?

Can insurance in Turkey
WIDDRINGTON, you say you have been bringing a UK vehicle into Turkey for the last 10 years. Have you ever had a claim and accident damage repaired here?

Hi Kemerkid. Had a claim 4 years ago . I was driving from Didim to Izmiir Airport and got belted in the rear by a Transit whilst stationary at traffic lights. Jandarma and traffic police were involved - the van had skidded for a distance of approx 30 metres and it was a fair old bang. Although my car had extensive damage to the rear wing/ boot/bumper areas it was still driiveable and Saga wanted me to get the repairs done in the UK. The only thing that HAD to be done in Turkey was a replacement rear window which had been totally smashed .

kemerkid

Bystander
Can insurance in Turkey
OK getting to the knub of it now, was the window supplied by a Turkish repair shop who then claimed the money from Saga or did you have to pay for the repair here and get reimbursed by Saga?

Can insurance in Turkey
OK getting to the knub of it now, was the window supplied by a Turkish repair shop who then claimed the money from Saga or did you have to pay for the repair here and get reimbursed by Saga?

I paid cash, got receipt and was reimbursed on return to the UK.

It was an interesting but very frustrating experience all round. At the time of the collision, the Turkish van driver , stopped , had a look at the damage to his vehicle , jumped back in to the van and drove off through the red lights without saying a word to me or exchanging vehicle details. Fortunately for me there were a few locals standing at the lights and they took his number and they telephoned the Jandarma who duly atttended the scene. We explained the urgency of getting to the airport in time - my son was flying back to New Zealand. They were very helpful and flexible and after taking my details they told me to go and report to the station on my return from the airport. Just at that moment the traffic police roared up and very abruptly told me to get out of my car.The Jandarma explained the situation - but no -these traffic police were on a mission and insisted on breathtesting both myself and my wife. We then had to wait until the police had measured and photographed the skid marks AND then the Jandarma intervened again after which we were given the ok to go.

We duly returned to the Jandarma station in Torbali ( near Izmir) and lo and behold the Jandarma had in the meantime traced and arrested the guy who had banged into us. We were given a full police report which fully exonerated us of any blame and which also gave the insurance and contact details for the offending driver.

And just to cap it all - our UK insurance company screwed up with the claim. For such incidents abroad, the UK insurance company appoints local agencies to act on their behalf. Every month I would receive an update from my insurance company which would state that they were still awaiting contact from Turkey. Eventually I complained - only to receive a letter from my insurance company apologising and saying that my claim was unfortunately no longer valid as Turkish time limits had expired !!! I dont know what these time limits are but suffice to say I got paid out in full for all loss incurred, repairs, excess AND £150 in recognition of their negligence in allowing the claim to lapse. 18 months it took to get sorted out !!

kemerkid

Bystander
Can insurance in Turkey
Your case WIDDRINGTON has answered my question and highlighted the point I was attempting to raise. For long-term use in turkey of a British vehicle, is British insurance safe to use? Your case suggests it is highly risky driving over here with British cover. Geographically this is known as Europe but in the main it is not and it does not integrate easily into European systems.

Your insurance company did not trust the Turks and did not want them to get their hands on the money. You yourself had to find the money to replace the broken window and the whole process took 18 months to settle. Just for one moment consider this particular accident in reverse. Had it been you who skidded (through no fault of your own) into the back of the Transit, lets also throw into the equation an injured passenger in the transit. What do you think the consequences would be if this substituted accident looked like taking 18 months to settle?

On balance it would probably be a safe bet to travel over here from the UK for a one or two week stay but for half a year I would consider it very risky. Vehicle recovery of a written off car or van from France, Spain or even Germany would be fairly straight forward but the Turkish border is not a place you can just drive across without rigmarole.

A depressing thought I know but accident insurance is to cover you for all circumstances and painlessly at that. Was WIDDRINGTON’s experience painless?

Can insurance in Turkey
I hear what you are saying Pete . However I will continue as I have done over the past 10 years . Maybe I am being clouded by knowledge of how home insurance operates in Turkey. Also I have always been under the impression that car insurance at the border only amounted to 3rd party cover whereas my Saga Green Card gives me fully comp cover in Turkey. As for the accident in question, Saga wanted me to have the car brought back to the UK immediately and for me to have a hired car at their expense. I didnt fancy that option - and preferred to bring the car back myself to make sure it got back ok. There is no doubt that Saga were very negligent in not overseeing the appointed representatives in Turkey - however on balance I am to continue with them.

Can insurance in Turkey
Re: Car insurance in Turkey

i was thinking of taking the full comp from the uk and 3rd party from turkey.
but then there is the problem of which insurance company will have to pay in case of accident?will they both have to pay?

kemerkid

Bystander
Can insurance in Turkey
Well as WIDDRINGTON has explained, his Saga insurance company paid....... eventually. Car insurance in Turkey might be a little more expensive but there are no delays in payments. I have had several claims here, some my fault some not but the car has been back on the road again by the end of the week, fully repaired and looking like new.

Just one thing to bear in mind, spares for vehicles sold in Turkey are off the shelf. Cars from elsewhere could be a problem. Another consideration is the cost of transporting a British car here and back (petrol, ferries etc.) and the insurance costs could conceivably outweigh the cost of hiring a car here, and if you crash a hire car they will just give you a new one. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Can insurance in Turkey
Re: Car insurance in Turkey

i was thinking of taking the full comp from the uk and 3rd party from turkey.
but then there is the problem of which insurance company will have to pay in case of accident?will they both have to pay?

I was under the impression that you could only have one insurance policy operational at any one time?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom