Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Planes, Trains and Automobiles....

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2016, 14:51   #1 (permalink)

oldboyracer is on a distinguished road
Driving to Turkey with a boat in tow

Has anyone tried taking a Ski boat into Turkey by car. Any ideas on what sort of duties have to be paid if I'm going to leave it there. How long can I keep it there if I dont pay duties. Can I sell it there? any info would be appreciated. By the way. It's not a new boat by any stretch of the imagination, and it's for leisure purposes only. Alternatively. Has anyone shipped one over? Who did you use? what customs clearance agent did you use? All suggestions will be gratefully received.
oldboyracer is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 17th March 2016, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving to Turkey with a boat in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboyracer View Post
Has anyone tried taking a Ski boat into Turkey by car. Any ideas on what sort of duties have to be paid if I'm going to leave it there. How long can I keep it there if I dont pay duties. Can I sell it there? any info would be appreciated. By the way. It's not a new boat by any stretch of the imagination, and it's for leisure purposes only. Alternatively. Has anyone shipped one over? Who did you use? what customs clearance agent did you use? All suggestions will be gratefully received.
That's a new one.................& I reckon an expensive one. Interesting to see what response(s) you get. That would be considered importing into Turkey.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:45   #3 (permalink)

Yes Spurs, I think you could be right there. Actually, it's not the getting it there that's the problem, It's how much the import duties are going to cost, and do I have to pay at all. I checked with the touring and automobile guy's in Istanbul, and all they can tell me is, I'm allowed to keep my UK car in Turkey for two years but they did not know anything about the boat side of things, typical, eh! So I was kind of hoping someone on the forum has done this and point me in the right direction. If I can only bring the boat in for two years, the same as the car, and don't have to pay anything, that would be great, I'd have no problem with that, I'll just bring them both back to the UK. My only question with that scenario is, can I commute back and forth without them.
oldboyracer is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 12:17   #4 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 5,859 Times in 2,710 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

You can commute back and forth without the car, don't knw about the boat, but you will have to put the car in a bonded customs car park and pay about 10 US$ per day
Old 18th March 2016, 12:34   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for that little snippet IbrahimAbi. That doesent just throw a spanner in the works, it throws the whole b----y tool box in it. Whats the score then if I drive my Turkish car back and collect my boat from the UK. My Turkish car is registered in a Turkish persons name, though. Any ideas?
Old 18th March 2016, 12:48   #6 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that registering boat is a real nightmare and even more if the size of the outboard is more than 9.9Hp (and I am sure yours will be). There are loads of boats out here for sale and prices realistic compared to the prices for second hand cars.
Old 18th March 2016, 12:49   #7 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Not sure about the rules if you sail the boat in from the other side of the Greek border though. How long you can keep it without registering it. May be worth looking at.
Old 18th March 2016, 13:23   #8 (permalink)

Thanks IbrahimAbi. Yes you are right, regards buying a boat there. I have been looking on Sahabinden, and to be honest, from what I can see, unless I pay big bucks ( which I'm not prepared to do ) most of them should have been scuttled years ago.
Old 18th March 2016, 13:48   #9 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboyracer View Post
Thanks for that little snippet IbrahimAbi. That doesent just throw a spanner in the works, it throws the whole b----y tool box in it. Whats the score then if I drive my Turkish car back and collect my boat from the UK. My Turkish car is registered in a Turkish persons name, though. Any ideas?
Hang on I smell a problem.

Your driving the car but its in a Turkish persons name...............you will either need that car putting in your name or documents giving you permission to take it out of Turkey (I think) or have the owner with you. I have drove in & out of Turkey several times in a Turkish plated car but always in my own name................Likewise I don't know how you will get on coming into the UK with it not being in your name. IF you can take it out of Turkey the documentation will all be in Turkish, UK customs will have no idea what it says or means.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 18th March 2016 at 15:40..
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 14:48   #10 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

As far as I know you cannot easily drive a car that is not in your name. A couple of years ago when we were catching the ferry at Tasucu to TRNC there was a Brit who was not allowed out of Turkey with his car as it was not in his name.
Spurs (18th March 2016)

Tags
boat , driving , tow , turkey