FORUM
  Home
  Forums
  Photo Gallery
  TLF Donations
  Forum Rules
  Register
  LINKS
  Property Buying Guide
  Cheap Flights
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  Egyptian Living Forum
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Planes, Trains and Automobiles....

Post New Thread  Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2016, 22:49   #21 (permalink)
Just passing through
 
oldfogy's Avatar
 

Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,153 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

I can't recall the title but maybe if you search through youtube for something like 'Bush Pilots' there you will find some very useful and interesting footage and comments on which commercial pilots have to go through.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 23:16   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
ibrahimwoah's Avatar
 

Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ibrahimwoah is on a distinguished road
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
I think that maybe the wrong answer for oldfogy :-)

P.S. oldfogy, auction finished final bid 181.

There appears to be quite a few female pilots these days. My wife a few years back got to fly a commercial for several minutes on a flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow with BA with the auto pilot off, the captain then was a female, glad I wasn't on that flight as my wife can hardly park the car in a straight line. :-)

Sabrina makes perfect Airbus landing! - YouTube
I'm not sure what the answer would be.. and by the way, you're slightly veering off-topic.
ibrahimwoah is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 23:34   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
juco's Avatar
 

Thanks: 582
Thanked 7,141 Times in 2,920 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
and by the way, you're slightly veering off-topic.
Was that to chastise me or to inform me because you reckon I didnt know?
__________________
J

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 04:54   #24 (permalink)
Just passing through
 
oldfogy's Avatar
 

Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,153 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimwoah View Post
Hmm.. It's relevant for how long the runway needs to be (landing wise) and if it can even take off?
No not that although it is also relevant, but more so it's relevant because the landing gear is not designed to be able to land at it maximum take-off weight, which is why planes sometimes have to either jettison or burn-off fuel before being able to perform a emergency landing just after take off.

Once you have passed your pilots licence it is quite often possible to hire small plans which works out cheaper than owning one and having to pay ongoing parking fees as you only then have to pay for the flight time to cover wear-n-tear plus landing fees at on average 50 per half ton.
The Cessna TTx 400 is a good starter plane and are reasonably cheap to buy and with a radius of 800+NM
Cessna TTx Versus the World: Comparison Specs | Flying Magazine
You might find this site helpful with getting to understand some of the ajargon
Also this one CESSNA TTX 240 Aircraft For Sale - Used & New 1 - 4
Some of these videos from youtube are also informative and gives some good insight to what you can expct
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq13kuTB5Ac

*****************************************
[Juco yes I saw the price and well pleased for you.]

Last edited by oldfogy; 1st January 2017 at 05:10..
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (1st January 2017)
Old 1st January 2017, 12:01   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Thanks: 790
Thanked 3,375 Times in 1,348 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
I think that maybe the wrong answer for oldfogy :-)

P.S. oldfogy, auction finished final bid 181.

There appears to be quite a few female pilots these days. My wife a few years back got to fly a commercial for several minutes on a flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow with BA with the auto pilot off, the captain then was a female, glad I wasn't on that flight as my wife can hardly park the car in a straight line. :-)

Sabrina makes perfect Airbus landing! - YouTube
I think I would prefer that flight to this one.

Drunk Canada pilot arrested in cockpit before take-off - BBC News

and why is parking a car relevant, that's a sexist comment if ever there was one?
__________________
'Grandchildren are the dessert of life.'
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 12:57   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
ibrahimwoah's Avatar
 

Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ibrahimwoah is on a distinguished road
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
Was that to chastise me or to inform me because you reckon I didnt know?
Oh nono, it's nothing really!
ibrahimwoah is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 13:01   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
ibrahimwoah's Avatar
 

Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ibrahimwoah is on a distinguished road
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
No not that although it is also relevant, but more so it's relevant because the landing gear is not designed to be able to land at it maximum take-off weight, which is why planes sometimes have to either jettison or burn-off fuel before being able to perform a emergency landing just after take off.

Once you have passed your pilots licence it is quite often possible to hire small plans which works out cheaper than owning one and having to pay ongoing parking fees as you only then have to pay for the flight time to cover wear-n-tear plus landing fees at on average 50 per half ton.
The Cessna TTx 400 is a good starter plane and are reasonably cheap to buy and with a radius of 800+NM
Cessna TTx Versus the World: Comparison Specs | Flying Magazine
You might find this site helpful with getting to understand some of the ajargon
Also this one CESSNA TTX 240 Aircraft For Sale - Used & New 1 - 4
Some of these videos from youtube are also informative and gives some good insight to what you can expct
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq13kuTB5Ac

*****************************************
[Juco yes I saw the price and well pleased for you.]
Oh! So that's what you meant by the question. I was aware that the landing gear could only take so much weight but thank you for telling me the detailed version, that's interesting.
ibrahimwoah is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 15:33   #28 (permalink)
Just passing through
 
oldfogy's Avatar
 

Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,153 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimwoah View Post
Oh! So that's what you meant by the question. I was aware that the landing gear could only take so much weight but thank you for telling me the detailed version, that's interesting.
The point is as enthusiastic as you are there is much to learn and just as much that gets forgotten but still needs to be known.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
ibrahimwoah (1st January 2017)
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:30   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
ibrahimwoah's Avatar
 

Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ibrahimwoah is on a distinguished road
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
The point is as enthusiastic as you are there is much to learn and just as much that gets forgotten but still needs to be known.
I see. Also, couldn't I go with a cheaper plane like the ICON A5 if I ever do get my license?
ibrahimwoah is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:31   #30 (permalink)
Postless Pointer
 
Akasya's Avatar
 

Thanks: 37,513
Thanked 22,127 Times in 9,263 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

In the early 1980's i was learning in a piper cherokee , avgas then was 95 per hour. Lessons and aircraft hours were free , via employer's / employees flying club , the airfield is three miles from us. G-AVLU and G-AXTI wonder where are you now ?

Both cherokees

I did not gain a license , advised that medical was impossible for me... good fun though.

Good luck

Steve

Last edited by Akasya; 2nd January 2017 at 10:50..
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
ibrahimwoah (2nd January 2017), Jaycey (2nd January 2017)
Reply

Tags
airlines , coup , dream , job , mine , pilot , plane , turkish airlines



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5million is mine! villabaris1 Making Money forum 31 5th March 2014 16:36
WW1 mine removed. altinkum kev Altinkum Forum 5 1st June 2012 22:13
Peggys' Mine!! arrian News & Views 2 21st July 2010 12:54
living the dream ? or killing the dream ? DaveH Calis Beach Forum 27 20th July 2005 07:23



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:49.
TurkishLiving.com tested by Norton Internet Security TurkishLiving.com tested by McAfee Internet Security
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Style Provided By: Wrestling Clique - Wrestling Forums
TurkishLiving.com


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155