Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Planes, Trains and Automobiles....

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2016, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

ibrahimwoah is on a distinguished road
So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

However, I'm getting put off by all the cons of being one. Like how exhausted the pilot is allowed to be (working up to 16 hour shifts) and how you carry less fuel than you're comfortable with! Would Turkish Airlines be a good option for me? Do they offer reasonable rest periods. How's the salary? Is the corruption within the country affecting the airlines? How badly would it affect me when (c'mon, it's inevitable) Turkey has the next coup? Would I have to move to Istanbul so my drive/walk to work/TA's hub isn't a long distance? Would I need fluent/professional Turkish?

Ever so sorry about the mass amount of questions, I might even think of some more.. who knows?
ibrahimwoah is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 31st December 2016, 18:12   #2 (permalink)

glenn will become famous soon enough glenn will become famous soon enough
Re: So being a pilot is a dream job of mine...

Not that many vacancies for commercial pilots, most posts are taken up by ex military pilots with many hours experience and therefore costing the airlines a lot less.
glenn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,894 Times in 2,228 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimwoah View Post
However, I'm getting put off by all the cons of being one. Like how exhausted the pilot is allowed to be (working up to 16 hour shifts) and how you carry less fuel than you're comfortable with! Would Turkish Airlines be a good option for me? Do they offer reasonable rest periods. How's the salary? Is the corruption within the country affecting the airlines? How badly would it affect me when (c'mon, it's inevitable) Turkey has the next coup? Would I have to move to Istanbul so my drive/walk to work/TA's hub isn't a long distance? Would I need fluent/professional Turkish?

Ever so sorry about the mass amount of questions, I might even think of some more.. who knows?
Obviously Turkish would be a advantage but all tower communications are conducted in Universal English.

Also do you already have a pilots licence and how many hours flight-time can you show.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 22:14   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 7,415 Times in 3,060 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

If you are serious about this expect to be heavily in debt when you qualify.

The demand for pilots are not that great in the European region but big demand and better paid in the Asia Pacific region but thats for experienced captains as they can also train as well.

As Glen mentioned it is easier and cheaper for a forces pilot to make the transition.

My son has a private pilots licence and I seem to recall he could go to the USA to get a commercial pilots licence but cost would be £20k and that was a few years back.

Of course this is assuming you have the right aptitude for the job they wont take just anyone on.

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 22:17   #5 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 18,012 Times in 9,070 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you are of the male variety why would you want to be a civil airline pilot (apart from those gorgeous stewardesses of course) – endlessly flying between the same destinations and with compulsory retirement at 45 (?) y/o?

I always thought it would be more interesting to pilot for a charter company at least you get to see something of the places you fly to – otherwise you’re a glorified bus driver

Why Airline Stewardesses Aren't Hot Anymore - Business Insider
Old 31st December 2016, 22:27   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
Obviously Turkish would be a advantage but all tower communications are conducted in Universal English.

Also do you already have a pilots licence and how many hours flight-time can you show.
I've not even been to college yet (which I plan to go to in September as they didn't accept me last year because we were apparently a month late for signing up for a college). So, I have no licence and no hours of flight-time... The only upside is that I have good English from living in England for 10 years...
ibrahimwoah is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 22:29   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
If you are serious about this expect to be heavily in debt when you qualify.

The demand for pilots are not that great in the European region but big demand and better paid in the Asia Pacific region but thats for experienced captains as they can also train as well.

As Glen mentioned it is easier and cheaper for a forces pilot to make the transition.

My son has a private pilots licence and I seem to recall he could go to the USA to get a commercial pilots licence but cost would be £20k and that was a few years back.

Of course this is assuming you have the right aptitude for the job they wont take just anyone on.
On the aptitude side, I've always wanted to be a pilot. It's in our family blood too, I'm guessing a private license is much cheaper than commercial? Could you tell me the prices in Lira?
Old 31st December 2016, 22:33   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycey View Post
Assuming you are of the male variety why would you want to be a civil airline pilot (apart from those gorgeous stewardesses of course) – endlessly flying between the same destinations and with compulsory retirement at 45 (?) y/o?

I always thought it would be more interesting to pilot for a charter company at least you get to see something of the places you fly to – otherwise you’re a glorified bus driver

Why Airline Stewardesses Aren't Hot Anymore - Business Insider
I'd love some examples of these "charter companies", they sound quite interesting! and when you said "y/o?" is that you asking my age? Just wondering
Old 31st December 2016, 22:33   #9 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,894 Times in 2,228 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
On the aptitude side, I've always wanted to be a pilot. It's in our family blood too, I'm guessing a private license is much cheaper than commercial? Could you tell me the prices in Lira?
Why do you need to go to college ??

A private pilots licence worked out about £3,000 when I took my first lesson.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 22:48   #10 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 18,012 Times in 9,070 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd love some examples of these "charter companies", they sound quite interesting! and when you said "y/o?" is that you asking my age? Just wondering
I doubt many of the more interesting charters have company names.

I once flew on a Russian 6-seater charter between Kariba & Bulawayo – the toilet was a bucket at the rear of the plane with a curtain screen! And there were several interesting characters flying in and out of Dhaka with very questionable cargoes.

First get your licence and then hang around the bar at the Dhaka Intercon hotel
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
bickern (1st January 2017)

Tags
airlines , coup , dream , job , mine , pilot , plane , turkish airlines