Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th April 2019, 08:09   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 9,110 Times in 3,410 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Would you get on?

Interesting dilemma posed to aviation lawyer today. If you turn up at the airport, and find that your plane is a Boeing 737 MAX 7 - would you get on? She said she probably would not. Would you?

Also brings into question the idea of fully automated travel left in the hands of computers instead of pilots or drivers: would you trust them?

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th April 2019, 08:12   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 11,749 Times in 5,591 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you get on?

I would certainly not get on, even if offered free travel.
Old 5th April 2019, 08:47   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,246 Posts
suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute suecheshireuk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we would risk it either... and if we didn't have people at the helm so to speak, I think I would look at alternative modes of transport.
An interesting dilemma Ian. xx
suecheshireuk is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 08:58   #4 (permalink)
shash

Thanked 1,378 Times in 632 Posts
shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of shash has much to be proud of

No and no. On the automated car travel I can only see many disasters. What happens when the computer has a glitch on the road? Can it go on over ride or will it just block the road? Friend of mine nearly got run over the other day by a hybrid. He not only didnt see it he never heard it either.
As for the Boeing planes I'd look into who is making them and who is overseeing everyone's work as there could be underhanded terrorism involved or is that a bit farfetched? ?
shash is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 09:16   #5 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 24,531 Times in 10,854 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shash View Post
No and no. On the automated car travel I can only see many disasters. What happens when the computer has a glitch on the road? Can it go on over ride or will it just block the road? Friend of mine nearly got run over the other day by a hybrid. He not only didnt see it he never heard it either.
As for the Boeing planes I'd look into who is making them and who is overseeing everyone's work as there could be underhanded terrorism involved or is that a bit farfetched? ?
I wouldn't risk getting in a car driven by AI, The 737 Max is a very different story and the truth will come out, at the moment no I wouldn't choose to travel on one.

If cars can be remotely hacked I would like to think aircraft can't.

How did your friend nearly get run over Shash, I drive a BMW 3 series Hybrid, it looks like a Petrol or a Diesel 3 series, it sounds like a petrol even on battery power. My guess is your friend didn't look before stepping out.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
janm (5th April 2019), shash (6th April 2019)
Old 5th April 2019, 09:25   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Driver-less cars brings the option of sending off your kids to travel alone into a cold, wet, icy night in the care of a computer. If it can't do that, what is the point?

The test I want to see is all the manufacturers each putting 4 of their cars onto a test track, to drive autonomously in opposite directions, all at the same time at 60mph; simulated kids on bikes, animals on the road, mothers with prams and T-Junctions with blind princes. If they can do that for an hour without crashing into each other, I will be convinced.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 09:46   #7 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
Driver-less cars brings the option of sending off your kids to travel alone into a cold, wet, icy night in the care of a computer. If it can't do that, what is the point?

The test I want to see is all the manufacturers each putting 4 of their cars onto a test track, to drive autonomously in opposite directions, all at the same time at 60mph; simulated kids on bikes, animals on the road, mothers with prams and T-Junctions with blind princes. If they can do that for an hour without crashing into each other, I will be convinced.

Ian
Or simply 40 minutes on the road in Istanbul or Cairo, (I have done both, but before the war Damascus was the worst that I have driven through).
Old 5th April 2019, 10:41   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
Or simply 40 minutes on the road in Istanbul or Cairo, (I have done both, but before the war Damascus was the worst that I have driven through).
Turkish drivers are rather poor, but your Cairo mention reminded me of a coach trip, at night, in Egypt. The driver did not put on his lights, except for the occasional flash to identify something in the road, it was like driving in a war-time black-out. We were on a duel (pun intended) carriage way, and if the way ahead was obstructed, or the traffic was heavy, he would cross over into the other side of the carriage way, against oncoming traffic (in pitch dark without lights) until he felt the road he should have been on was clear, then he would flip back into traffic.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 5th April 2019 at 10:46..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 10:51   #9 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

I wonder if pilots are permitted to choose not to fly these aircraft.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:57   #10 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 24,531 Times in 10,854 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Many cars have some or much of this Technology in them already, VW have the auto breaking as do others, Auto Parking is another.
We were looking at a change a few weeks ago and one manufacturer had auto driving up to a certain speed from memory if you turned it on, so it is creeping in.

looking back we have travelled on auto driverless monorails, trains and trams over the years, I think the underground link at Heathrow is a driverless train that picks up a fair speed, this morning my work PC needed rebooting, imagine if that train decided it needed a reboot as it approached the buffers at T5.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Brendab (5th April 2019)