FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Side Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2016, 14:59   #41 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,361 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Support for the schoolchildren of Nepal.

Cheers Sue.
When I came to put all the things together for the schoolchildren last night, I could hardly believe how much we'd accumulated so thanks to yourself and everyone else that has helped to make this trip worthwhile.
I had a last minute donation this morning for the School Rebuild and Repair Fund that I set up when I was out there last August, it came from a TLF member and was most welcome. Thankyou for that one, you know who you are and be assured, your very kind donation will be put to good use out there.

I've just put 5 pic's on here that show how things were when I left mid-August.
Hopefully, I can post a few better looking ones when I return to Turkey at the end of this month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5171.jpg (93.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5186.jpg (94.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5299.jpg (93.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5308.jpg (91.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5319.jpg (89.3 KB, 11 views)
angelaturkey (11th March 2016)
Old 28th March 2016, 12:09   #42 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,319 Times in 706 Posts
angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of

I guess you are back from Nepal now Ann... how did it go? ... do you have some photos you can share with us on here please.
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 17:39   #43 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived back early hours of Sunday morning and have been playing 'Catch-Up' at the office this last couple of days.

Here we go!
The good news is that 3 of our schools have started to get on with rebuilding from the cash that we collected.
The 1st. pic' shows the new building that they're making to replace the old school that came down totally during the 2nd quake last May. The children are still being taught in the tempory huts that you can see in the foreground.

The 2nd pic' shows the new Primary School building now under way in another part of The kathmandu valley and the corrugated iron buildings are still being used as classrooms until they complete the new block.

The 3rd pic' I'm really pleased about because this is a village Primary School not too far from Kathmandu city that was totally destroyed, along with most of the village homes that the children return to after school in the evenings. This school gets no assistance whatsoever from the local Council or Nepali Govt. and exists totally on support from the villagers who send their children there.
As you can see, not only are we well under way with the rebuild, they've even managed to make a start on the paintwork with the cash that I passed onto them from our fundraising when I went out there last August!

The 4th & 5th pic's show just a couple or so of the 48 of children at an orphanage that we also support. Not only do these children have no parents for various reasons, all of them are either deaf, dumb or blind. Some of them have 2 of those afflictions and these kids, along with the people that run the place have a very special place in my heart as well as the hearts of the Nepalese Ladies group that I'm involved with.
The boy in the 4th pic' is both deaf and dumb. These kids had never seen tubs of bubbles before and I went out with loads of bubbles, balloons, mouthorgans and such, so that they could have a little fun.
What a time they had!
It took a long time for this young boy to get the knack of actually 'blowing' his bubbles but just look at the happiness on his face when he achieved it! This from a lad that wasn't known to smile, can't speak, can't hear anything the other kids chat about.................sheer joy! He'll get more bubbles when I go out next as will all the kids. Balloons? I can never take too may balloons as well as the colouring books and school things that I take each time.
The boy in the blue fleece in the 5th pic' is totally blind but very musically talented. He plays harmonium, Nepali drums, wooden flutes of various sorts and sings such beautiful songs like you wouldn't believe.
He's actually 12 years old now, doing very well in his English Language classes and after he'd sung me a song he told me very proudly that he'd got a tub of bubbles tucked away in his pocket!! Bless him! What can you say? Whenever we leave that orphanage, we all seem to end up in tears.

A German Aid Group have built a new building for this group of children and the cash that we raised has paid for the beds and we're now in the process of getting the curtains done.

So, overall, our cash has done a lot towards getting things started in 4 different schools. Some of our cash is still in the bank but will be used to top up grants that some of the schools we're involved with will eventually get from the Nepali Govt.

Things are sometimes slow in Turkey............less than snail pace in Nepal.

I've masses of pic's as usual, but at least you can now see where your cash has gone so far and all I can say once again is........Thankyou".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5533.jpg (94.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5534.jpg (91.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5544.jpg (79.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5567.jpg (89.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5588.jpg (91.0 KB, 12 views)
abba (29th March 2016), angelaturkey (29th March 2016), paddington bear (29th March 2016), Sally-Ann (29th March 2016)
Old 14th March 2018, 07:04   #44 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

I thought I'd just bump this up as I'm due back out to Kathmandu next week with masses of things for the schoolchildren that have been accumulated over the last 12 months. Cash Donations that I've been given will go partly towards the ongoing rebuild & repair work of the schools throughout The Kathmandu Valley that I'm involved with, as well as paying a full year's schooling for another 3 young girls.

I was lucky enough to be offered a 'house clearance' from a property that we sold last week so all bedding, towels, curtains, kitchen utensils etc were table-Topped last Sunday at The Flying Horse here in Side.
I couldn't have done that one on my own and I'm really thankful for my 2 friends that helped on the day.
The 3 Muskateers, average age 73yrs! There was just 1 woven basket that remained unsold and that now rests in the boot of my car to come back out with the clothing that will be offered for sale this next Sunday.

After the table-topping last Sunday I popped into Doruk, the best pastry/cake shop in Side to pick up something to take back to the office with me for my lunch.
A friend of mine from Quiz-Night had stopped off there for a coffee and, knowing that I was due back out to Nepal, gave me another good donation to swell the fund. All will be very much appreciated by our schoolchildren and their teachers, so, "Thankyou" to all of you that made last Sunday's effort so very worthwhile.

I always believe that there are more good people in this world than otherwise and they certainly stepped forward last weekend.
Akasya (14th March 2018), Hilsjw (14th March 2018), shash (14th March 2018)
Old 15th March 2018, 18:02   #45 (permalink)

avimore is on a distinguished road

Well done Ann, you are a special Lady with a good heart.
avimore is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avimore For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (16th March 2018)
Old 20th April 2018, 11:54   #46 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Back in the office now after my recent visit to the schools and orphanages that we're involved with around The Kathmandu Valley.

I can certainly see improvements regarding the repair and rebuild of some of the schools that our cash donations have helped with since the dreadful earthquakes back in 2015. The Nepali Ladies that I'm involved with are fundraising constantly over there and have just made donations to 2 schools to help them with re-roofing. Walls have been repaired, doors and windows are in but they've been making do with corrugated iron roofing which can make the schoolrooms very hot when the weather's warm, as well as being a bit leaky when it rains. Roofing should be completed before this year's Monsoon rains.

The pictures that I've put on here are from the boarding school, specifically for deaf, dumb and blind children, and one of the smaller orphanages.

The little lad with no arms and legs had been taken by his family to the deaf, dumb and blind orphanage at Bungamati because they knew there was not much quality of life for him to be had at home. He's not deaf, talks well and his sight is perfect but they took him to Bungamati because they knew that Apin, along with his father who set op this place nearly 30 years ago, would not refuse him.
He's settled in very well, making lots of new friends and soon got the knack of getting his stumps around his bubble stick!
The little black lad, 5 yrs old, was recently diagnosed with Brain Cancer and his family took him to the orphanage because they could neither afford, nor cope, with the treatments that he's in need of.
The baby in the Nepali ladies arms, 7mths old, left at the orphanage because her family already has 5 children and they can't afford to raise another girl.
The teenage boy has spent all his life at the orphanage. He's now nearly 16yrs old and just loves painting and will most likely stay on at the orphanage as a helper come teacher for the younger children.

All traumatic cases when you learn the various reasons as to why these children end up in these places but, full marks to the people that take them in because the alternative is to be left on the street. They are guaranteed food, clothing and an education that they would normally not have any chance of.

Thanks again to each of you TLF members that have given me equipment for
the schoolchildren, little toys for the smaller ones, along with cash donations during this past 12 months. With me actually being out there and doing the rounds, I can tell you that between us, we make a lot of 'little' people smile.
The teaching staff in the schools, be it a small village school or one of the larger places in Kathmandu City are always extremely thankful of any help that we give them. A little cash goes a LOoooooong way out there.

All things being equal, March 2019 should see me back out there again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_6279.jpg (74.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6351.jpg (67.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6354.jpg (84.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6355.jpg (72.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6356.jpg (73.8 KB, 8 views)
abba (20th April 2018), Akasya (20th April 2018), IbrahimAbi (20th April 2018), Rose Cole (21st April 2018), shash (20th April 2018)
Old 21st April 2018, 09:09   #47 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

I apologise for the back-to-back posting but I'm including this so that you can share some of the lighter moments of my annual visits. It's not traumatic all the time and I can't get all the pictures on the one post.

I normally come back and say that I'm all 'Curried Out' because I seem to eat so much Dal Bhat whilst I'm out there but there seemed to be a bit more variety amongst the foods that I ate this last time.
Admittedly, the Dal(lentils) Bhat(rice) that comes with pickles, chickpeas, curried meat & spinach was still prominent but I got to eat Momo which I really enjoy, at a couple of lunch-time stops. These apparently originated from Tibet. They're super dumplings, stuffed with spiced chicken & vegetables and always served with a separate dish of spicy sauce for dunking of your dumpling.
If you ever get out there, these are to be recommended.

My favourite soup out there is Thuka, rather like a very spicy Chinese Hot & Sour but with noodles in it. Really makes your tongue tingle and if you're thirsty afterwards, I'm told the Tonga Beer, also from Tibet, is excellent. That's made from fermented barley or millet and served in a large lidded wooden pot with a straw. I've never tried it and with anything up to a 10% alcohol marking, I think I'll stick to my black coffee or fresh orange juice.

This last tme, I also had Nettle Soup, very green and tasted not unlike spinach, followed by a Chataman. They said it was a Nepalese Pizza and it was very tasty but it was obviously not bread based. I asked what the base was and it's basically a thick Rice Pancake, the one I had was topped with eggs and assorted veggies.

Specially for Jaycey, I had the fried fat up in the mountains but it was Buffallo fat not Yak, and on the one day, we ate Fish that had been caught from The Trisuli River that flows through The Kathmandu Valley.

All very nice and all memorable and good enough to make me want to return.

Pictures attached are, Dal Baht, one of the smaller schools that we've helped rebuild, an Electricity Pilon that reminds me of Turkey when I first came out to live full-time almost 22 years ago and, Momo dumplings.

That's about it for now, hope you found this a little more light-hearted?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_6263.jpg (80.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6342.jpg (67.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6296.jpg (94.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6347.jpg (87.4 KB, 6 views)
abba (21st April 2018), Rose Cole (21st April 2018), shash (21st April 2018)

Tags
nepal , schoolchildren , support