FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Side Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2015, 12:15   #1 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,368 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute
Support for the schoolchildren of Nepal.

As some of you are aware, in recent years I've taken to going out to Nepal during the month of March.
Initially it was a pilgrimage for a friend of mine that died out there back in 1982 but having been introduced at that time to a Women's Group that work very closely with many schools around Kathmandu, I got involved and have returned each year.

As a group, we sponsor young girls (from low income families), into education and see them through to receiving their school scholarships.

I came back into Turkey from Nepal this year, just 4 weeks before the 1st major quake hit around Kathmandu, Pokhara and other areas.
After a couple of days, news started to come through from various Nepali friends via e.mail & telephone. Homes lost or badly damaged, most of the people I know, were alive but sleeping under plastic sheeting on the streets.

One month on, a 2nd major quake later and still having 4 or 5 aftershocks daily even now, more people are having to sleep out on the streets as it's not yet safe enough to go in to repair their homes.

As a group, we are involved with 22 schools, all these schools are either down completely or in need of major repair work. Consequently, the children are being taught under tenting in the streets during the daytime, and, equally, sleeping under other tenting at night-time.

I am returning to Nepal, first week in August, purely to take such things as colouring books, colour pencils, pencil sharpeners, simple jig-saw puzzles and the like, to help these kids have a few happier moments whilst they get through such a difficult time.
The monsoons are due. 4 months of rain like most of us have never experienced and these people have no other choice, they will still be sleeping on the streets.

If any of you feel that you could contribute, whether it be through a gift of things mentioned above for the children, or a monetry donation because I'm holding out the collection cans, please feel free to come and see me at the office, or Sunday morning Table-Top (Flying Horse), or even Quiz-Night on a Wednesday evening at Flying Horse.
ALL donations will be more than gratefully received, 9 weeks and counting before I go but if many of us do a little bit, the overall effect can be worthwhile.

Last but not least. If anyone has some regular books of 'Raffle Tickets' going begging, I'd really appreciate having them to do a raffle for the Nepal fundraising.
A trip to Manavgat this morning proved fruitless as there were no raffle tickets to be had in either Tutar Kirtasiye or Salı Pazarı and I couldn't think of anywhere else to try.

How can we do a raffle without raffle tickets? :
Akasya (25th May 2015), angelaturkey (25th May 2015), nanamo (25th May 2015), sue & james (25th May 2015), TNT123 (29th May 2015)
Old 25th May 2015, 12:45   #2 (permalink)

paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of
Re: Support for the schoolchildren of Nepal.

Will give you a book of raffle tickets on Wednesday evening. Ask someone from the UK to post you some out.

Sue

A Dog Is For Life Not Just For Christmas
paddington bear is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddington bear For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (25th May 2015), TNT123 (29th May 2015)
Old 25th May 2015, 15:21   #3 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your offer Sue. Much appreciated, means I can get a wiggle on!

Also had a bit of luck as a customer e.mailed a short while ago to ask us to have his place ready for his arrival next Thursday.
No problem says me, explained what we were doing re' Nepali children and asked him if he could bring raffle tickets out with him. He came back straight away saying he'd have them in the office here next Friday.

It's amazing really, there's a lot of good people in this world and we usually come up trumps. I've been on to THY........looking good for taking things out with me without extra charge. It all adds up doesn't it?
TNT123 (29th May 2015)
Old 25th May 2015, 17:08   #4 (permalink)
millilove76

Thanked 3,422 Times in 874 Posts
millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i'm glad you've found someone to bring you raffle tickets...if they are not enough or they forget to pack them let me know and i will post you some. Also we were thinking of making a donation or posting you something that you can raffle and maybe make some more funds from. If you have any ideas of what would take peoples attention let me know.

I'm honoured to call Andeep a friend, he's the man in the following link who runs our local Ghurka Restaurant. He recently raised £16,000 for Nepal. He raffled his motorbike bless him.

Nepal earthquake: Gurkha Kitchen chef raffles 'dream bike' for remote village | Nottingham Post

Good Luck Rachel x
millilove76 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to millilove76 For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (29th May 2015), HelenSnowball (29th May 2015), suzyq (26th May 2015), TNT123 (29th May 2015)
Old 26th May 2015, 13:49   #5 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

That's a brilliant effort from your friend Andeep and I thank you so much for the offer you're making to me. I've PM'd you with a little more detail.

The selling of raffle tickets will kick off tonight at Quiz Night. I already have some Alcoholic prizes to be won with more things promised so there should be many a happy winner when the raffle gets drawn on Quiz-Night of 29th July at The Flying Horse. That's the week before I fly out.

I've also begun collecting colouring books, coloured pencils, sharpeners, jigsaws and such to take directly into the schools that have been set up in tents. I've talked to THY about FREE CARRİAGE to get extra things out there, they've done this before for me and I'm hoping for a positive result this time as well.

If you don't ask, you don't get. Do you? THY are usually 1st class in these situations but watch this space.
Akasya (26th May 2015), angelaturkey (29th May 2015), millilove76 (26th May 2015), nanamo (24th June 2015), suzyq (26th May 2015), TNT123 (29th May 2015)
Old 28th May 2015, 21:05   #6 (permalink)
Tired but happy!

Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold Sally-Ann is a splendid one to behold

We've done some fundraising before eh Mum, but this time it's personal!

It makes such a difference when you know the people directly affected by these disasters. I'm gonna donate one Lira from every card I sell from now until the money is on the plane with you. Every little helps when you know every penny will be put into the hand of someone who really needs it.

Nice one Mother
Akasya (29th May 2015), angelaturkey (29th May 2015), Freedom 49 (29th May 2015), Kingfisher (29th May 2015), TNT123 (29th May 2015)
Old 29th May 2015, 05:14   #7 (permalink)

stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough

Would you please PM me with details on how to send a donation? I live here in Turkey and can do it via the bank or the PTT. Thanks
stelliebellie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stelliebellie For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (29th May 2015)
Old 29th May 2015, 07:39   #8 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally-Ann View Post
We've done some fundraising before eh Mum, but this time it's personal!

It makes such a difference when you know the people directly affected by these disasters. I'm gonna donate one Lira from every card I sell from now until the money is on the plane with you. Every little helps when you know every penny will be put into the hand of someone who really needs it.

Nice one Mother

Sally, you're a 'Darling' but I've always known that anyway although I'm probably a little biased?
I'll have to be selling a few more Birthday Cards off the rack here at the office now............hopefully, you can keep up with demand 'cos I don't want to put you under too much pressure! You'll have to get Atlas in the studio with you, he can pass you the envelopes bless him.

We've had a super start to the 9 weeks that we have to raise this cash. I've set a target of €10,000 so, having started last Wednesday evening at Quiz Night with the sales of Raffle tickets, I thought it best to post a Running Total on TLF each Wednesday morning, so that members are kept in the picture as to how we're doing.

We already have a few donations, all of which will help enormously as a little goes a long way in Nepal.

Many thanks for your offer Stelliebellie.
I'll PM you my Yapı Kredi account details as I've already done for another TLF member who's made a generous donation in the same manner.

For any of you over in Britain that wish to make a similar gesture, I can PM you my British HSBC bank details as all monies paid into that account will be transferred over here to me in Turkey mid July, and added to our funds.

All donations to my accounts should have the reference 'Nepal' against them so that there's absolutely no confusion.

I may be a dreaded Emlak but your cash will only be going towards rebuilding these schools in Nepal and helping the schoolchildren and their families get back to some sense of normaility.

Many, many thanks to all of you that find it in your heart to support them.
HelenSnowball (29th May 2015)
Old 1st June 2015, 12:06   #9 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,322 Times in 707 Posts
angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of

I hear the raffle is doing well but mostly alcoholic drinks as prizes - so if anybody is coming from England and can bring Roses Chocolates or Jelly Babies - that would be great - thank you Ann for all you do for the children of Nepal - we all appreciate your efforts greatly x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Freedom 49 (14th June 2015)
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:56   #10 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Words Sorting Champion!

Well, end of the first weeks fundraising and we've had a good start with good sales of Raffle Tickets, some super donations from TLF members and people around Side, as well as various good prizes handed into me here at the office, to be given out when we draw the Raffle on Wed. 29th. July.

Tomorrow at Quiz-Night, I'll raise funds from a Football Card. Choose 3 teams for 10T.L. or 1 team for 5T.L. Winning team will be declared when all teams have gone and the lucky winner will be presented with 4 bottles of Efes Pilsen to take home with them the same evening.

We've topped €1500 this first week. Thankyou to each of you that have contributed and I'll give a running total this time next week and each week thereafter.

My flights are confirmed. I fly THY to Kathmandu, evening of Monday 3rd. August.
angelaturkey (2nd June 2015)

Tags
nepal , schoolchildren , support