Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Side Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2017, 10:15   #91 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 17,871 Times in 7,674 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tourism

If you look in my gallery on here there are a few pictures of Gumbet in 1988 the development had just started but the road down was still a dirt track, roll on to the early to mid 90s it was the place to avoid. Not been there for years to be honest so can't comment now.
Ps I can still get in my budgie smugglers as per the photos.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (19th May 2017)
Old 19th May 2017, 10:25   #92 (permalink)

Thanked 11,612 Times in 4,269 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say Steve is my opinion of a pi*s head and yours must be entirely different.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 10:56   #93 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,639 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalimart View Post
If you look in my gallery on here there are a few pictures of Gumbet in 1988 the development had just started but the road down was still a dirt track, roll on to the early to mid 90s it was the place to avoid. Not been there for years to be honest so can't comment now.
Ps I can still get in my budgie smugglers as per the photos.

Martin
From what I remember most of the beach at Gümbet was taken up by locals building the wooden boats. I think there was one small cafe.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:20   #94 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 17,871 Times in 7,674 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
From what I remember most of the beach at Gümbet was taken up by locals building the wooden boats. I think there was one small cafe.
Not got pics of the beach, I remember a cafe and they built 2 hotels at the other end from memory, but in those days not many fancied the journey from Izmir or Dalaman to the Bodrum peninsula, cant remember when Bodrum Airport opened but that was when it all took off (no pun), waiters ceased being gentle good mannered locals and the harrassment started, An old friend explained that many of the waiters were from London and Europe and Australia and were more up front than the local staff.
We stopped going for a couple of years because of the constant mithering.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
pepperkat (21st May 2017)
Old 19th May 2017, 11:41   #95 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalimart View Post
Not got pics of the beach, I remember a cafe and they built 2 hotels at the other end from memory, but in those days not many fancied the journey from Izmir or Dalaman to the Bodrum peninsula, cant remember when Bodrum Airport opened but that was when it all took off (no pun), waiters ceased being gentle good mannered locals and the harrassment started, An old friend explained that many of the waiters were from London and Europe and Australia and were more up front than the local staff.
We stopped going for a couple of years because of the constant mithering.

Martin
The original airport was up in the mountains near the 'Seagarden hotel' (of course the hotel was not there at the time). When the planes flew in (only small 100 seaters) could land at the airport, I don't think at that time it was international. As you were landing it left that the wings were about to touch the hills on either side. Planes could not land in strong winds.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:48   #96 (permalink)

Thanked 17,303 Times in 8,504 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously there's a fine line between over exploiting an area and under resourcing it

Where I am now is a beautiful village-just like I had in Turkey-not all of Turkey is like Bodrum, similarly not all of Spain is Benidorm- but I have available to me locally a considerably superior choice of goods, services etc and certainly the infrastructure esp roads/railways is decades ahead of Turkey

It's wrong to try and compare apples with oranges and certainly on various aspects Turkeys ahead but as regards to modernity choice and outlook I find Espana more suitable

Each to their own

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
bickern (19th May 2017)
Old 19th May 2017, 12:52   #97 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Re: Tourism to Turkey and Egypt

Do they use squat loos in villages in Spain? I remember my early days in France in the 80s, there were many squat loos. I was never a big fan. Here they call them 'A'la Turka' but they were common all over Europe and the Middle East at one point.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:00   #98 (permalink)

Thanked 17,303 Times in 8,504 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen any here yet but hated them in Turkey

My first exp of them was donkeys years ago in France

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 16:38   #99 (permalink)

tosher is on a distinguished road

Well we are coming in July what ever the situation. We love Turkey and the Turkish people.
tosher is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosher For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (21st May 2017)
Old 20th May 2017, 18:25   #100 (permalink)

fjes is on a distinguished road

I will second that!! Coming down in June..
fjes is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
egypt , numbers , returning , rise , tourism , tourist , tourists , turkey