FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Side Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2019, 18:06   #1 (permalink)

jmeg is on a distinguished road
Question Newbie in need of advice

Hi All total newbie to site. Looking for lots of answers too so many questions, but basics first. Looking at selling up in UK and buying an apartment in or around Side, Holidayed in the area 2/3 times each year for last 5 years (visited other areas in the last 20 odd years) but so much conflicting advice,I don't want a lock up and leave type place, I want somewhere more homely but also safe and secure with some facilities if that makes sense. I am also confused about SGK or private insurance as to what's legally needed , and when do I need to apply for RP. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find useful information that may help much appreciated ,lots more questions but any starter tips.
Thanks
jmeg is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 30th January 2019, 18:13   #2 (permalink)

Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of
Re: Newbie in need off advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeg View Post
Hi All total newbie to site. Looking for lots of answers too so many questions, but basics first. Looking at selling up in UK and buying an apartment in or around Side, Holidayed in the area 2/3 times each year for last 5 years (visited other areas in the last 20 odd years) but so much conflicting advice,I don't want a lock up and leave type place, I want somewhere more homely but also safe and secure with some facilities if that makes sense. I am also confused about SGK or private insurance as to what's legally needed , and when do I need to apply for RP. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find useful information that may help much appreciated ,lots more questions but any starter tips.
Thanks
You can apply for an RP anytime within the period of your tourist visa, and it's not that hard (these things get simpler all the time). I wouldn't worry about insurance till then either - you can check nearer the time. If you do plan to settle here, focus first on finding a place that suits you - and know what it's like in winter as well as summer.
A89 (31st January 2019)
Old 30th January 2019, 18:48   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Neil just conflicting advice with some saying you have to apply for RP whilst still in UK but would I be able to buy on tourist visa , some sites say you need RP to buy and also health insurance .I was last over in December and yes it was wet and cold (not as bad as this last week) but still didn't put me off
jmeg is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2019, 19:13   #4 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 22,357 Times in 9,799 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.facebook.com/groups/544167955696716/

Well worth joining the above as many of the answers are there, Martin is a member of the forum also.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
REDDERS (1st February 2019)
Old 31st January 2019, 03:59   #5 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,177 Times in 974 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Alanya for 10 years now. My advice would be don't sell up in England for at least a couple of years. Rent that home out if that's at all possible. Living here all the time isn't anything like coming for short stays. It can be difficult and very stressful especially if you don't speak the language. So many people sell up and come over but within a couple of years find the red tape and dealing with Turkish people and the differences in culture intolerable and want to leave but have no where to go back to. I certainly wouldn't even think about buying anything here until you've rented for at least two years. If you do decide to go back you're very unlikely to get your money back when selling the property and with the new rental laws renting out your property here is a legal minefield. In all honesty, I don't want to go back to the UK but I know more people that have gone back than have stayed and I do wish that I had chosen a country that is more European culturally. Unfortunately its not financially viable for me to sell up and move there now.
Regarding resident permit, it sounds like the person saying you need to apply before you leave the UK is confusing that with the 90 day tourist visa that you now need to apply for online before you travel as I'm sure you know. I have dealt with my own RP application and also helped many friends with theirs until this year. This year I used a "helper" (sounds dodgy but isnt) I'd never go back to applying for my own. For 150 tl he does 90% of the work at lightening speed, well worth twenty quid of anyone's money.
I agree with Yalımart, Doc Martins facebook page is immensely helpful and has all the up to date information. Please be aware that in Turkey rules for everything can change very suddenly. What is legally required now may not be next week. That's how it is here and you have to accept and get used to that. Nothing is ever certain in Turkey.
Regarding health insurance whats required depends on your age. I believe you cant get SGK until you've had a RP for a year but someone here will say if that's no longer the case. In my opinion the price of SGK (around 630tl a month at the moment I believe) for a single person is quite expensive if you have no health problems and you're under retirement age.
Do your homework well and whatever you decide I wish you much happiness.

Alison

Last edited by A89; 31st January 2019 at 04:02..
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
Els (31st January 2019), enoch (31st January 2019), IbrahimAbi (31st January 2019), LauraB (31st January 2019), Mushtaq (1st February 2019), shash (31st January 2019)
Old 31st January 2019, 14:26   #6 (permalink)
Els

Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by A89 View Post
I've lived in Alanya for 10 years now. My advice would be don't sell up in England for at least a couple of years. Rent that home out if that's at all possible. Living here all the time isn't anything like coming for short stays. It can be difficult and very stressful especially if you don't speak the language. So many people sell up and come over but within a couple of years find the red tape and dealing with Turkish people and the differences in culture intolerable and want to leave but have no where to go back to. I certainly wouldn't even think about buying anything here until you've rented for at least two years. If you do decide to go back you're very unlikely to get your money back when selling the property and with the new rental laws renting out your property here is a legal minefield. In all honesty, I don't want to go back to the UK but I know more people that have gone back than have stayed and I do wish that I had chosen a country that is more European culturally. Unfortunately its not financially viable for me to sell up and move there now.
Regarding resident permit, it sounds like the person saying you need to apply before you leave the UK is confusing that with the 90 day tourist visa that you now need to apply for online before you travel as I'm sure you know. I have dealt with my own RP application and also helped many friends with theirs until this year. This year I used a "helper" (sounds dodgy but isnt) I'd never go back to applying for my own. For 150 tl he does 90% of the work at lightening speed, well worth twenty quid of anyone's money.
I agree with Yalımart, Doc Martins facebook page is immensely helpful and has all the up to date information. Please be aware that in Turkey rules for everything can change very suddenly. What is legally required now may not be next week. That's how it is here and you have to accept and get used to that. Nothing is ever certain in Turkey.
Regarding health insurance whats required depends on your age. I believe you cant get SGK until you've had a RP for a year but someone here will say if that's no longer the case. In my opinion the price of SGK (around 630tl a month at the moment I believe) for a single person is quite expensive if you have no health problems and you're under retirement age.
Do your homework well and whatever you decide I wish you much happiness.

Alison
Very honest and very very good advice!
Els is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Els For This Useful Post:
A89 (31st January 2019), IbrahimAbi (31st January 2019)
Old 31st January 2019, 16:07   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice Alison, Keeping the UK house isn't financially viable for me ,but I would still have options open to return to UK. I am only early 50's with no ongoing health problems but the increased cost off living here is taking 85% of my income and seems to rise on a daily basis.
I've read about "helpers" and as long as chosen wisely then it is well worth the money. I am not looking for the easy holiday living lifestyle just a change of lifestyle choice and giving myself a 5yr marker on it.
jmeg is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmeg For This Useful Post:
A89 (1st February 2019)
Old 31st January 2019, 16:37   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 5,780 Times in 2,517 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning a 5 year stay, why not rent long term? It would give you time to settle in.

If you look at property on a 'site' dont forget to ask about service/site fees. These can increase every year, and if there is an unscrupulous manager the foreigners can (and have been) overcharged and under-informed. If you have a flat in a block be aware that there is no such thing as block insurance for the building and factor in property insurance as well as Dask

Always check that all bills and debts have been paid by the person you are buying from or you could become liable for them by default.

Never buy off plan.

As for health insurance you can buy a Turkish policy at a reasonable cost, or you could just bank the equivalent cost of SGK on a monthly basis as savings to cover future medical bills. Dental and medical care is excellent and amazingly cheap by UK standards.

The biggest problem with private insurance is the increase in premiums and the shrinkage in cover as you age. SGK is a guaranteed contract but like all insurances you have to buy it when you dont need it. You have a medical when you apply and any pre-existing conditions may be excluded from cover.
Do your homework, take your time, and have a fantastic 5 years.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
A89 (2nd February 2019), Hilsjw (1st February 2019), IbrahimAbi (1st February 2019), j in bo (31st January 2019), Mushtaq (1st February 2019), shash (31st January 2019)
Old 31st January 2019, 17:08   #9 (permalink)
Leo

Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum and welcome to your new life. We live permanently in Kalkan now, but also know Side very well having owned an apartment there for more than 10 years (which we very successfully bought off-plan, so don't believe all of the horror stories you hear - some work out very well.

Like you, my wife & I retired a couple of years ago in our mid 50's. Best thing we ever did. Totally get where you are coming from, as our view was life is for living and with the changes to the UK pension age I frankly don't think we would have had much time left if we had to work until we were 67!

We find life here more relaxed, healthier, easier & quicker to access health resources, we feel safer and it really is so much cheaper (but booze is getting more & more expensive).

We sold up in the UK. This funded our move, removed any uncertainty (we were sure from our regular holidays and owning over the last decade) and we could not afford to rent-out, as the income (less the tax and agents costs) would not have covered the mortgage costs..

As others have said the Doc Martin site is a wealth of info and support. I particularly like the fact that it is sectioned into various elements making it easy to find the guidance you need.

Apply for a tourist visa before you come. You can only apply for a STRP once you are here. The website for STRP (which is available in English) is quite easy to use, but we know several people who just pay a small fee for a local to complete for them.

I can put you in contact with someone who does this regularly in Side if you PM me. I can also put you in contact with someone for buying an apartment in Side.

When making your application for STRP, you will need to have a list of supporting info (all detailed on Doc Martin), but you will need to have Health insurance. Essentially, these are all provided by a small number of companies - but are purchased through a local agent.... and some agents charge slightly higher than others.

In Side you can apply for 1 year STRP in the first year. After that you can apply for 2 years at a time and have to show insurance docs for the same period that you have applied for. You also have to have at least the same period left on your UK passport.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by Leo; 31st January 2019 at 23:50..
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
A89 (1st February 2019), j in bo (31st January 2019), Mushtaq (1st February 2019), REDDERS (1st February 2019), shash (31st January 2019)
Old 1st February 2019, 10:01   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,474 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

Kanga's advise in very good..... rent, rent, rent before you commit to buying. It's cheap, you get to keep your capital and earn good interest and, if you don't like where you have chosen to live, you just move on. Again, good advise.
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , newbie