FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Side Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2019, 07:46   #21 (permalink)

Tonyone01 is on a distinguished road
Re: All Your Residency Questions Answered.

I live and work in Turkey and get stopped often. I only ever show my passport and UK driving licence and not my Kimlik as it always leads to too many other questions about having a Turkish licence. However I had a recent accident and the police asked for my Kimlik and not my passport ??? So for me I carry all 3.

Tony
Tonyone01 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyone01 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th October 2019)
Old 16th October 2019, 08:34   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 5,211 Times in 1,922 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenpin View Post
Maybe someone can ask what, in detail, the benefits of Lifelong Residency are.
We live in Kuşadası so won't be able to attend.

We've had it for 3 years and apart from not having to renew it we haven't seen any benefits.
When the Long Term Residency Permit (LTRP) was announced a number of years ago it was flagged as being "free" (apart from the cost of the plastic card) to those who had eight years unbroken residency.
There was also mention of various benefits including LTRP holders no longer having to have yabanci plates on their cars (MA, MB etc) and being able to have normal Turkish plates.
This however, not surprisingly, ever came to pass and apart from not having to renew a short term residency (STRP) every two years I have yet to see any other advantages.
The "free" aspect of the LTRP also does not take into account the cost of meeting the Turkish requirements of a paid for police check in the UK (even though you have lived here for in excess of eight years), having to obtain proof of income (eg UK pension letters etc) and having it all apostilled in the UK to prove they are legally legitimate, before then paying for the whole lot translating and notarising back here in Turkey.
I know many have gone through this process without a hitch, but I also know those who have had to make several trips back to the UK to correct what they thought was already acceptable.
Obviously its a matter of personal choice, but until someone comes up with some legitimate benefits to the LTRP (apart from not having to renew every 2 years) I believe many will continue leaving well alone and decline the offer of the "free" LTRP, thus avoiding the costs of apostilling, translating and notarising plus the time and bureaucracy involved in meeting the requirements.
It will be interesting to hear the official version of the advantages of having the LTRP, and maybe the reasons why the non yabanci car plates never materialised.
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to villabaris1 For This Useful Post:
friar tuck (16th October 2019), IbrahimAbi (16th October 2019), suecheshireuk (16th October 2019)
Old 16th October 2019, 09:56   #23 (permalink)
BEZ

BEZ is just really nice BEZ is just really nice BEZ is just really nice BEZ is just really nice

Taken from the foreign office
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs
BEZ is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BEZ For This Useful Post:
Fethiye123 (16th October 2019)
Old 16th October 2019, 10:42   #24 (permalink)

Fethiye123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEZ View Post
Thank you for posting the link. It EXACTLY answers my initial question of whether one needs to carry his/her passport when venturing outside esp. when driving. Therefore, having read Gov.UK guideline my understanding is, when driving a car the driver needs a whole load of documents not only relating to the car (driving licence, hire agreement, insurance, etc) but also passport (with relevant entry stamp) AND Residency card OR e-visa.
Fethiye123 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 13:15   #25 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,509 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe someone can ask what, in detail, the benefits of Lifelong Residency are.
We live in Kuşadası so won't be able to attend.

We've had it for 3 years and apart from not having to renew it we haven't seen any benefits.
I remember my daughter getting her Turkish Longterm Residency 3 years ago and she was charged the princely sum of 55T.L.
Maybe it costs a little more now but even that one off fee must be beneficial against the costs of annual renewals?
She's able to travel outside of Turkey for short breaks without the hassle of thinking about re-entry Visas, and because her sons were born here but retain dual British/Turkish nationality, they can travel on British Passports without the need for Visas as they re-enter Turkey on their British Passports alongside a Turkish Kimlik.

I've also seen several people deported from Turkey over the years when they've overstayed their Visa. This would never happen with a Longterm Residency because they have no expiry date on them and they outlive the holder.

I'm sure other benefits will come to light at the meeting tomorrow and it would be good to think that someone might possibly report back via TLF.
A89 (16th October 2019), Akasya (16th October 2019), suecheshireuk (17th October 2019)
Old 16th October 2019, 14:47   #26 (permalink)
The Yorkshireman

Tenpin is a splendid one to behold Tenpin is a splendid one to behold Tenpin is a splendid one to behold Tenpin is a splendid one to behold Tenpin is a splendid one to behold Tenpin is a splendid one to behold Tenpin is a splendid one to behold

One department, the SGK Office, don't yet have a system to handle LTRP.

When we got our LTRP they took the details but only extend the coverage date for 3 years.
So we're due another visit to the SGK Office to extend for another 3 years soon.
Old 16th October 2019, 15:51   #27 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,509 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One department, the SGK Office, don't yet have a system to handle LTRP.

When we got our LTRP they took the details but only extend the coverage date for 3 years.
So we're due another visit to the SGK Office to extend for another 3 years soon.
From reading your post here, it looks like you've had a Regular Residency Visa, granted for 3 years because if you had the Long Term Residency Permit, you would have no need to renew it.
enoch (16th October 2019)
Old 16th October 2019, 16:47   #28 (permalink)

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,453 Posts
enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this belongs here or not. It might help some. I have been to court over three cases in Turkey. One was a assault. One over being knocked off my puss bike and one over a stolen phone which my details were used. The assault I went with a solicitor. The other two I went to the police with a translator and I was informed if it goes to he court we will supply you with a free solicitor. Has any one else come over this before.

Last edited by enoch; 16th October 2019 at 16:51..
enoch is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 16:52   #29 (permalink)

villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom 49 View Post
I remember my daughter getting her Turkish Longterm Residency 3 years ago and she was charged the princely sum of 55T.L.
Maybe it costs a little more now but even that one off fee must be beneficial against the costs of annual renewals
The card fee for the LTRP - now 89tl - is good value. However it is the added costs now required of obtaining documents from the UK, including a Police Certificate (criminal record check) and proof of income, and having them legally apostilled by the FCO. Plus the additional costs of having them translated and notarised when you get them back to Turkey which make the "free" permit cost in the region of 2,000TL.

Last edited by villabaris1; 16th October 2019 at 18:54..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to villabaris1 For This Useful Post:
enoch (16th October 2019), Harem (17th October 2019), suecheshireuk (17th October 2019)
Old 16th October 2019, 16:59   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom 49 View Post
From reading your post here, it looks like you've had a Regular Residency Visa, granted for 3 years because if you had the Long Term Residency Permit, you would have no need to renew it.
I think there many be some confusion in the length of Residency Permits, including the original post which mentions short term. long term and lifelong.
There are only 2 types (apart from a Family Residency where one is married to a Turkish partner)...STRP (short term of up to 2 years) and LTRP (Long Term) which is available after 8 years of unbroken residency and had a expiry date of 2099. This may be why some people call it life long.

Last edited by villabaris1; 16th October 2019 at 18:55..

Tags
answered , questions , residency