FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Side Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2019, 08:47   #1 (permalink)

Fethiye123 is on a distinguished road
Traffic Accidents in Turkey - What to do?

Having now driven in Turkey for a few weeks, it's become clear than sooner or later I am likely to be involved in an accident. So, in anticipation of this awful but I'm afraid, very likely event, what should I as the driver do or don't? I might add that the car would be a rented car. I appreciate that I'd need to call the rental company immediately and tell them about the accident but I am more concerned about whether for example the police needs to be called (in the UK you do so only if personal injury has resulted from the accident) whether you need to obtain the details of the other driver/rider, etc. Thank you.
Fethiye123 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Fethiye123 For This Useful Post:
davem (19th October 2019)
Old 17th October 2019, 08:54   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 9,573 Times in 3,598 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Traffic Accident

Having recently been down this road, there are a few things to check. Make sure you always carry your documents - insurance, MOT (equivalent), driving licence and passport/Residency.

You will be breathalysed, so don't be under the influence from the night before.

Sometimes the police will not come, but they will certainly come if there is an injury.

Do not move the car, no matter who tells you to, until the police arrive. Leave it where it stops.

Get your own interpreter.

In my case, the police did all the paperwork, decided who was guilty there and then, and arranged the cleanup. All very civilised.
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Fethiye123 (17th October 2019), suecheshireuk (17th October 2019)
Old 17th October 2019, 08:58   #3 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,506 Times in 6,439 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

the police only need to be called if anyone is injured. take photographs of both cars and the situation. get the details of the driver and any witnesses. Take photo of the driver's ID card and his insurance details. If the police are involved they may want drivers to get a medical test to prove lack of alcohol.
there is a form called a Tutanak wich shows both cars and you add your details to one side, the other driver adds their details to the other. the impact or points of damage can be indicated on the images of the two cars (car A or car B). We have some already completed with out details for myself and the wife in the car. It is in Excel form. If anyone is interested drop me PM. Inshallah you will not need it.
Fethiye123 (17th October 2019), suecheshireuk (17th October 2019)
Old 17th October 2019, 10:18   #4 (permalink)
Dolphin dreamer

mamish is just really nice mamish is just really nice mamish is just really nice mamish is just really nice

I was under the impression that if it's a rental car the police always have to be called. Maybe I'm wrong??

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings,
We simply continue to fly....
On a broomstick.
We're flexible like that.
mamish is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 10:57   #5 (permalink)

Tonyone01 is on a distinguished road

Dear Fethiye123 I was in this situation 3 weeks ago. Pretty much as Immac has described but as yours is a hire car you must call the police. My car is a company car and we have the same policy/rules - Police must be called.

They checked Kimlik and driving licence but unfortunately the copy of the insurance had expired. Fortunately there was no drama as the officer looked up my policy number on his ipad. I had a slight twist in that a week later the chief of police called me for an interview at the police station. I took a Turkish friend with me to translate. As it turns out the other driver went to the hospital on the evening for a check up and this then kicks in another process (there were no injuries) We both had to go to the police station to sign to say we were not taking any further action. They also showed me the street video of the accident which they said proved the other driver as 100% to blame.

7 days later the car was fixed and handed back - Very efficient :-)
Tonyone01 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonyone01 For This Useful Post:
Fethiye123 (17th October 2019), IbrahimAbi (17th October 2019)
Old 17th October 2019, 11:17   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyone01 View Post
We both had to go to the police station to sign to say we were not taking any further action.
I perhaps did not understand the significance of this at the time of my crash. Is this legally binding? I was asked three times if I intended any action against the other driver, and, I was told he had been asked twice, on both occasions saying "no further action". Does that prevent "further action"?

I must say, it was a very easy event because of the police, who could not have been nicer, or more helpful. It might have been different is either of us had been drunk, or uninsured, I will guess.

After the event, the claim was covered under Kasco(?), and again the assessor was fast and friendly, claim was settled and repair arranged, money paid into my account three weeks after the accident to pay for the repair.

It is natural to draw comparisons with UK; it is decades since my last claim in UK, and it was a lot more stressful than this crash in Turkey, with the insurance company doing everything they could to avoid expense.

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (17th October 2019)
Old 18th October 2019, 06:15   #7 (permalink)

Tonyone01 is on a distinguished road

Ian I'm not sure if it is legally binding but we both had to sign on a formal document to say we would not be taking further action. In my case this was then witnessed by the chief of police and my friend who both signed the document. I was then given a copy to take with me.

Tony
Tonyone01 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyone01 For This Useful Post:
immac (18th October 2019)
Old 19th October 2019, 09:03   #8 (permalink)

davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough davem is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fethiye123 View Post
Having now driven in Turkey for a few weeks, it's become clear than sooner or later I am likely to be involved in an accident.....
Love the intro! The mind boggled at what was to follow.

David
davem is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davem For This Useful Post:
Harem (19th October 2019), Janice Oakley (19th October 2019)
Old 19th October 2019, 11:33   #9 (permalink)

Janice Oakley has disabled reputation

We recently had an accident. A motorcyclist knocked my husband off his push bikeon a quiet road in a nearby village. The culprit was pleasant enough before he realised we wanted the police to be called. Luckily I took photos, as he got on his bike and drove away. The police were called, and arrived very soon. They took charge. Looked at my photos, traced the numberplate to the rider, and summoned him back. He arrived back, very sheepishly, very soon. The police got a cctv video of the accident from a local shop, showed it to all of us, and it was clear the motorcyclist was in the wrong. Within an hour the bicycle was fixed (taken to a nearby cycle shop) the culprit shook hands and apologised, and we all went on our way. Other than a few cuts and bruises luckily no-one was badly hurt, but driving, cycling or even walking on or near Turkish roads is potentially life threatening. It's so important to never assume anything on Turkish roads. Dual carriageways and there for short cuts, even if it does mean going the wrong way to the flow of traffic. Lights and crossings are ignored. Speed limits are invisible to many drivers. Undertaking and overtaking is done at high speed. A few years ago we had a similar 'near miss' with an elderly drunk car driver. When we approached him, he produced a knife and threatened us. We legged it! Take care.
IbrahimAbi (21st October 2019)
Old 19th October 2019, 12:11   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

What has impressed me is the way the police take control, decide who is at fault and work out a sensible outcome. I remember police in UK used to do it like this - long time ago in another world.

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (21st October 2019)

Tags
accident , accidents , traffic , turkey