Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 17th November 2014, 11:16   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,621 Times in 2,822 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Electrical Safety - Ecosense

As part of the installation process Ecosense do a free safety check of the electrics in any property.

This weekend, in a nearby village, I went along to see what was being done. I am not an electrician, so forgive any errors in my technical description I may put here.

We had been invited along by a management company who were taking five villas onto their books and wanted a status report; these are high-end properties. We were being asked to quote on fitting surge protectors, pool controllers and Ecosense units. Not one of these properties was safe!

Pool rooms/pump rooms: four of the five had potentially lethal faults. Walls running with water over electricity boxes, floors flooding, corroded electrics often badly wired. An electrician was killed this year in Fethiye by stepping down into a pump room with flooded floor and shorting electrics.

Three phase supplies that had one or more phase not working.

One, very large, impressive house had the supply from the roadside meter running in a rubber cable the same size as an extension cord; the cable (approx. 40metres) was threaded through the undergrowth and fencing at about waist height around the property, went into the neighbours garden, then underground, without any protection, into the house. The owners had recurring electrical problems which could not be explained (until now). They were trying to run a five bed villa and pool off this single cable.

Houses with wiring insufficient for the job; burned out fittings; electric boxes with rats nest wiring exposed to the unsuspecting hand looking to reset a trip switch; no earth protection; one villa with a three phase supply with two of those showing over 400v on the multi-meter; distribution boards incorrectly wired: The list goes on and on.

These were obviously well cared for, expensive houses, most rented out by owners for the summer: some were death traps! But very pretty death traps.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 17th November 2014 at 12:49..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Harem (17th November 2014), LauraB (18th November 2014)
Old 17th November 2014, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,368 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: Electrical Safety - Ecosense

Immac,

Not wanting to make light of this but even here in the UK as a retired electrician I have come across many properties with faults that would make your hair curl 'and on one occasion' the property was not only owned but also lived in by a electrician. (old school)

As for 400 volts, a 3 phase supply consists of each phase having a rating of +/- 220volts, so across any two pases will always equal 440+/- volts.
But I take it you mean it would have been easy for someone to have got electrocuted because of lack of safety in place.

Unfortunately even with our rigorous checks and tests, even with 'Part P' testing, a lot of electricians are overlooking some problems because customers just will not pay for the additional work so as to bring their property up-to a 'safe' standard.

But once more, good luck, and I sincerely hope neither your customers or electricians follow the same route just to be able to either get the work done or to do the work so as to earn money.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it is an eye-opener for me to look behind the façade of some rather nice houses. We will do a report on each, but they presumably have their own electricians - it is not part of our core business and in fact gets in the way of us selling our units, which is what we are there for; these owners have a few things to do that are more important than installing our kit.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
SLEEPY (18th November 2014)
Old 18th November 2014, 09:58   #4 (permalink)

exbluejob is on a distinguished road

As a retired Sparky I agree with the comments about electrical safety, even in the UK. Whenever I have looked at a house to buy, as at the moment, the first place I head for is the electric supply as it can tell a lot about a place.
exbluejob is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 12:19   #5 (permalink)

cuppy will become famous soon enough cuppy will become famous soon enough

I must admit having witnessed first hand some so called installations in Turkey I have to agree with you all. I am an engineer and most people just don't realise the dangers of poor installations/maintenance. When I bought my property I had it tested with no problems but I am not 100% sure about the rest of the building. In the Uk as OLDFOGY says people will not pay for testing as the last time I needed a certificate it cost me £200 for 10 minutes work (to check wiring in an extension) which I thought was expensive verging on robbery!
cuppy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 14:32   #6 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,368 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

As I said, I am now a 'long time' retired electrician so do not want to try quoting which devices are the best or which are now required, in my day it was just a trusty old MEGGA of which was never re-calibrated or anything, but meters today vary a lot and now also have to have calibration certificates.

But as a starting point, and 'hopefully' someone else will jump in and correct me, (please) but the meters required in Turkey would still be similar to what are being used in the UK which 'could be'

1. RCD Tester
2. Megga
3. Earth Loop Impedance tester.

Oh and not forgetting someone who actually knows how to use them.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
immac (18th November 2014), martirkz (18th November 2014)
Old 18th November 2014, 15:21   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
As I said, I am now a 'long time' retired electrician so do not want to try quoting which devices are the best or which are now required, in my day it was just a trusty old MEGGA of which was never re-calibrated or anything, but meters today vary a lot and now also have to have calibration certificates.

But as a starting point, and 'hopefully' someone else will jump in and correct me, (please) but the meters required in Turkey would still be similar to what are being used in the UK which 'could be'

1. RCD Tester
2. Megga

To explain to others: I was asking OF (in PM) what the business opportunities might be in setting up to do testing for either seller or buyer and what equipment would be needed. Probably not a full time business, no doubt, but a niche area, perhaps?

Ian
Old 18th November 2014, 15:48   #8 (permalink)
The hairless biker

martirkz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post

1. RCD Tester
2. Megga

I also am a retired Electrical Engineer and during the 7 years i have been here in Turkey i have not once seen an electrician with not much more than a 20TL multimeter. As for testing of a new build, well i can tell you for fact that this is not done here or at least it wasn,t when i had my house built 6 years ago, when the electrics was completed i asked for a certificate and was given a very blank look. So i inspected and tested, as best i could, myself and apart from rebalancing some circuits across the 3 phase supply,(yes a 3 phase supply to the house) all was good.

As an indication of the state of the infrastructure here, i reported this to an Aydem line technician, the response from him was that this is normal and not a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (86.3 KB, 6 views)
martirkz is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 15:54   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Would people pay to have a comprehensive test, do you think?

Ian
Old 18th November 2014, 16:08   #10 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 20,031 Times in 8,649 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Can I recommend that you do not call it a "free safety check" unless you are using the correct tools/meters and are capable of recording and understanding the results you get from the testing,.
If you are just doing a visual check then you are safer just calling it that. I have years of experience testing and inspecting domestic and commercial properties and the customers will twist what you say or believe that their wiring/properties are safe when in fact they may not be.
You also need an understanding of the wiring sustem used in Turkey which is largely the TT system, many sparks in the UK never or rarely come across this in their day to day work.
In terms of test equipment I use a megger 1502 all in one, probably 10 years old the lads who work for me use various other meggers usually the later 1700 series, beware they do go wrong and sometimes need fixing under guarantee, you would need to be able to do that in Turkey.
My own house in Yalikavak has issues that many other houses in Turkey have such as no earth at the lighting points, i got fed up of the sockets pulling away from the wall whenever you unplugged something so I am replacing them with UK supplied MK euro sockets. the original consumer units have no earth or neutral buzbars they just twist the cables together, i clamped them up with 60A connector block untill I have time to rebuild the inside of them.
All in all in my opinion there is scope for this kind of work providing the tester really knows what they are doing, and I mean really knows.

Good luck regardless.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days

Last edited by yalimart; 18th November 2014 at 16:17..
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
immac (18th November 2014), oldfogy (18th November 2014)

Tags
ecosense , electrical , safety