Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 21st December 2014, 12:53   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,388 Times in 2,734 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Water Shut-off Valve

Connections, is the main company under which Ecosense is marketed. We are looking at a new product, but unclear how it might be received in Tuırkey. Negotiations are on-going with the parent company at the moment, so excuse me if I donīt put the brand name until they conclude.

There has been some customer demand for powered water shut-off valves, so we sourced a well known UK brand and we are planning to bring it to Turkey. Although it is sold extensively in UK and around the world, it is not available here.

Basically, it fits into the water line feeding the building or apartment, after the water meter; it monitors the water flow, or lack of it, and if anything unusual is detected it shuts off the water supply using a battery powered valve.

If there is no use of water for 72 hours, it considers the building empty and closes the valve; water running for more than a pre-set period also closes the valve; low temperature, which might freeze pipe, likewise stops the water. All the time parameters can be adjusted. The supply is opened by pushing a button, which opens the valve; this reset button can be some distance away from the valve e.g. valve outside, button inside.

There is an override option if you want to water the garden or fill the pool. It is battery powered so even if power fails it will still work - especially useful after an earthquake, for example.

In UK it sells for around Ģ150+VAT. UK insurance companies give policy discounts if it is fitted because it significantly reduces water damage claims - if people are covered at all. Owners who rent can claim it against their tax bill, we are told.

So - Question: if we bring it will it sell?

Ian

Last edited by immac; 21st December 2014 at 13:18..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 21st December 2014, 13:01   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 7,600 Times in 3,155 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Water Shut-off Valve

It may well sell to foreigners but I cant see many Turks being interested as water leaks dont seem to bother them from what I have seen.

Personally I wouldnt buy it as I just turn my mains off when property is vacant.
Again from a personal point I am more concerned with those flexi hoses that seem to disintegrate after a couple of years, I have had a couple of them go on me in the middle of the night. Yes probably your product would kick in but as I am onsite its not a big issue.

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
immac (21st December 2014)
Old 22nd December 2014, 04:58   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a hose rupture, but I guess that is exactly the sort of problem a non-res villa owner would dread. As you say, if you can see the problem in front of you, no problem, but if it is out of sight, it may be a different story.

As in UK, we would hope to interest insurance companies.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:12   #4 (permalink)
stuart

stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of

Seems a good idea on the face of it but as mentioned people turn off at the mains normally if leaving their property empty for a while. might be of use to the rental market.
Also how does the electrical supply work? does it shut off if the battery runs out? or the other way round. power supply might be a problem for longer periods of non use.
good luck anyway.!
stuart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart For This Useful Post:
immac (22nd December 2014)
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:41   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

It is powered only by the battery. 4 weeks before battery is coming to the end of its life it starts beeping to warn of low power.
I think it will be rental and empty villas and apartments that will be most interested.

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
stuart (23rd December 2014)
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:40   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,147 Posts
bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware immac that some insurance companies (like mine ) insist that cover whilst vacant must have the water switched off within 48 hrs and water drained down.
It wouldn't make sense to me to pay 150 pounds .
I am owner and renter so I hope this feedback is helpful to you.

Alan
bigalant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigalant For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:18   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

All of this feedback is useful. Sometimes, when getting involved in a project some of the basic issues can be ignored, so I welcome any contributions.

The incidents that sparked our search for this product were in rental villas where there were major leaks which went unnoticed for weeks. The repairs in one included a new kitchen because the MDF had blown during the soaking. The bill for the water alone ran to 800 TL.

Ian

PS presumably, if you donīt drain-down and shut off, your insurance is invalidated? These incidents occurred at the end of this summer, between lets, when I donīt think it would occur to most owners will take such precautions.

Last edited by immac; 22nd December 2014 at 10:56..
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:54   #8 (permalink)

Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold Briand is a splendid one to behold

Sounds a good idea for Villa ONLY ??? wouldn't get involved with an Apartment Block though you could be blamed for all sorts of things IE ( owners might say water bills too high never had this problem before the new valve was installed ) and that's just one problem that might arise Turkish don't like foreigners interfering so i would leave well alone if it was me, every ones been happy the way things are so why change a well tested system. Like i said if you have a Villa then it sounds OK. PS everyone has their own water Valve to there apartment if they want to shut it off, i just cant see why have another Shut off Valve feeding all the apartments shut off valves and there is a shut off valve already feeding the apartment valves installed in all buildings does this make sense lol.

Last edited by Briand; 22nd December 2014 at 11:05..
Briand is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Briand For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:13   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,147 Posts
bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute bigalant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
All of this feedback is useful. Sometimes, when getting involved in a project some of the basic issues can be ignored, so I welcome any contributions.

The incidents that sparked our search for this product were in rental villas where there were major leaks which went unnoticed for weeks. The repairs in one included a new kitchen because the MDF had blown during the soaking. The bill for the water alone ran to 800 TL.

Ian

PS presumably, if you donīt drain-down and shut off, your insurance is invalidated? These incidents occurred at the end of this summer, between lets, when I donīt think it would occur to most owners will take such precautions.
That's a very fair point in between lets.worthy of thought .
bigalant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigalant For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd December 2014, 02:14   #10 (permalink)
stuart

stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of stuart has much to be proud of

Is it designed to be operational for faults over a long period of time? I will tell you why I ask. my solar powered hot water system did not have a normal manual shut off valve inside the house and there was no access to the pipes buried in the walls somewhere. when I installed an electric water heater for winter use I found it mixed with cold water from the solar power making the water tepid so would only work when I turned the water off connecting to the tanks this valve was on the roof and difficult to get to on sunless days when I needed the electric heater. my solution was to buy an electric valve and have it at the tank on the roof with a cable downstairs. I bought one from the uk (around 50 quid mainly for use in central heating systems ) it worked fine...but it worked on a solenoid system which closed the valve when power was turned on. The trouble was when I left it on for a week or so by mistake it eventually overheated and burnt out. I think it was not designed for long periods as was on a spring valve on a solenoid which sprung shut when the power was off, this happened twice so I gave up that idea and installed power showers etc. my point is I understand that the battery will give you a 4 week warning but if the system is in shut down mode is it using more power and if so for how long can it operate?

Last edited by stuart; 23rd December 2014 at 02:16..
stuart is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
shutoff , valve , water